PDA

View Full Version : question on handgun registration

beerman
01-01-2010, 10:30 AM
A friend asked me this yesterday and I didn't know the answer. He has a few handguns given to him (in the early seventies)by his now deceased father. They are a WW2,1911A1 and a sixties vintage Smith and Wesson revolver. He said they were never registered that he knows of. His question: Does he need to register them into his name,and if so how? He needs some cash and may want to sell them,and wants to be legal. Any advice is welcome...thanks

bwiese
01-01-2010, 10:36 AM
There is no specific requirement that handguns be registered in general.

There are certain requirements that handguns get papered in various transfers after 1991.

Before 1991, handguns were transferrable between Californians without paperwork, and with no requirement to subsequently register them. I own several such unpapered guns myself.

Your friend is free to transfer/sell his gun(s) to another individual providing this transfer runs thru an FFL.

beerman
01-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks Bill. That brings up the question, what if it was a gun made Post 1991, bought private party without a papered transaction. Any way to register it now?

Army
01-01-2010, 2:04 PM
Thanks Bill. That brings up the question, what if it was a gun made Post 1991, bought private party without a papered transaction. Any way to register it now?
Registration is NOT required in California (DROS is de-facto registration). If you wish to inform the DOJ you are now in possession (register it), there is no penalty.

The Director
01-01-2010, 2:32 PM
Registration is NOT required in California (DROS is de-facto registration). If you wish to inform the DOJ you are now in possession (register it), there is no penalty.

Never seen the form for this cause it doesn't apply to me - but if the OP registers a handgun on a PPT that did not go through an FFL post 1991 wouldn't he need all the information and signature of the seller? It's reasonable to assume that if you bought a handgun in 1991 and failed to do it through an FFL (i.e. illegally) then you may not have access to the seller to "make it right" as it were.

What do you think?

Army
01-01-2010, 6:54 PM
There is no requirement to disclose where or how he got the firearm.

Here: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf

The Director
01-01-2010, 8:39 PM
There is no requirement to disclose where or how he got the firearm.

Here: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf

Awesome - there you go, OP. Fill 'er out and you're done.