PDA

View Full Version : DONT SHOOT YOUR GUNS ON NEW YEAR EVE!

maxwellca21
01-01-2010, 9:45 AM
Some F*cking as*holes in my neighborhood fired off couple rounds with their shotguns last night NYE.

sorry just venting.

caoboy
01-01-2010, 9:50 AM
Yeah, that happened this morning. I could hear the shot hitting the ground, sounded like it was raining outside. It sounded like a battle outside, probably 20 minutes of gun fire...and a lot of people had pre-ban magazines.

FortCourageArmory
01-01-2010, 9:57 AM
Morons all.....Anyone that fires their gun off in any kind of city environment for "celebration" purposes is an absolute moron and deserves to have their firearms taken away for a good long while. Makes us look like a bunch of third-world peasants. All that's missing is the YA-YA-YA-YA-YA screaming.....

caoboy
01-01-2010, 9:59 AM
I don't blame them, we can't have the good fireworks.

I just wish they'd be smart about it, and fire into the ground at least. (Grass, although the idiots would probably shoot concrete or the street if they were told they were allowed to fire into the ground)

torsf
01-01-2010, 10:02 AM
All I heard last night from 12 - 1 AM was gun shots & fireworks, and I live in Concord.

Hoop
01-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Lots of shooting up here. Neighbor blew something up too that made my windows rattle.

Seesm
01-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Hoop I too am in north Auburn and I went outside at 12am it started then. Between 12 and 1 am we heard at least 100 rounds of fire, probably more...

We are pretty rural out hear so I would feel FAR better doing fireworks and why would anyone WASTE ammo like that. not ONE shot came from at my place.

chickenfried
01-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Any people injured?

maxwellca21
01-01-2010, 11:13 AM

I just wish they'd be smart about it, and fire into the ground at least. (Grass, although the idiots would probably shoot concrete or the street if they were told they were allowed to fire into the ground)

fireworks or no fireworks....fire into the ground or not. Would you like it if your family is outside playing...and you can hear shotguns going off?

Ron-Solo
01-01-2010, 11:22 AM

What you are advocating is a felony under 246.3 PC. Keep the gunfire on the range or a self defense situation. Other than that, there is no place for it in a civilized society.

People who shoot on NYE are the ones the anti's always point out when trying to take away our gun rights. Don't help them!

I can't understand how people celebrate NYE with fireworks or gunfire. Both are useless noise. Have you ever watched a poor dog be terrorized by the noises of either? I have to medicate my dogs every NYE & July 4th, and they still suffer greatly.

gunace89
01-01-2010, 11:28 AM
I was at my friends house last night, hangin out in his garage and it sounded like world war 3 between the legal, illegal fireworks, and gun shots going off in his neighborhood. Bunch of f***n idiots out there.

ChrisO
01-01-2010, 11:30 AM
I hope no one on this site is stupid enough to do this. I live in stockton so from 12:00 till 1:00 I heard A LOT of gun shots. I actually hear something right around the corner that sounded FA or bump fired. So on 4th of July or something there shouldn't be fireworks because YOU'RE dog suffers? haha yes lets ban 4th of July... I don't celebrate NYE really but I don't mind some nice fireworks gunshots is what I do mind.

OneApart
01-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Makes us look like a bunch of third-world peasants. All that's missing is the YA-YA-YA-YA-YA screaming.....

:rofl2:

There was some gunfire in my neighborhood as well. Sounded mostly like handguns, but a couple of shotgun bursts. Why would you even consider doing that for "fun" in a residential neighborhood...... your neighborhood??:nuts:

Ron-Solo
01-01-2010, 11:42 AM
I hope no one on this site is stupid enough to do this. I live in stockton so from 12:00 till 1:00 I heard A LOT of gun shots. I actually hear something right around the corner that sounded FA or bump fired. So on 4th of July or something there shouldn't be fireworks because YOU'RE dog suffers? haha yes lets ban 4th of July... I don't celebrate NYE really but I don't mind some nice fireworks gunshots is what I do mind.

Chris,

The fireworks that go bang are also illegal in California. And those are the type of fireworks that terrorize dogs all over the state.

I never said ban the 4th of July or NYE, I just commented on how it terrorizes dogs.

I like dogs more than some people I've met. Dogs are know as "man's best friend" for a reason. :cool:

ChrisO
01-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Chris,

The fireworks that go bang are also illegal in California. And those are the type of fireworks that terrorize dogs all over the state.

I never said ban the 4th of July or NYE, I just commented on how it terrorizes dogs.

I like dogs more than some people I've met. Dogs are know as "man's best friend" for a reason. :cool:

I know they are illegal but here the city does fireworks on 4th of july, It scares my dogs to but it happens. I have dogs, I know :cool: . I'm also not going to cry about other people lighting off fireworks because my dogs get jumpy, I have em inside and turn on the T.V. . It's those little comments that remind me of liberal gun grabbers "oh the mean scary fireworks terrorize my dogs we need to have them registered" . Like I said I don't mind the site of nice fireworks but m1000's and shtoguns pistols and rifles is what I do mind.

SemperFI0321
01-01-2010, 12:14 PM
its apperent now that someone in my neighborhood has an fully automatic weapon, had to have been a 30-50 round burst!!!( a good 4 sec burst) Didn't sound like a rifle, I'm thinking MAC or some sort of fully auto pistol caliber. police were cruisning the neighborhood no more than 10 mins later.

ChrisO
01-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Yeah ^^^ same here heard a Uzi or some type of pistol caliber SMG dumped 2 mags or atleast 2 good burst.

bigcalidave
01-01-2010, 12:21 PM
I feel sorry for you guys living in the cities :( All the fun you have to miss out on!

doc1buc
01-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I am country, but my dumb *** "neighbor" was shooting off his guns at 0000 to 0100 and blaring the 'arriba,arriba' music way too damn loud. I was tempted to let him know that legal citizens have firearms too, but I decided to light them up with my laser instead. That ended it peacefully.

Pig Rifle
01-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Haven't these people ever heard of blanks? Dang! Winchester has 12 guage blanks that are louder than real ammo OR M-80s. Seems to me this would be a safer, cheaper and louder alternative to throwing lead into the air or using the smuggled Tijuana fireworks of unknown quality.

caoboy
01-01-2010, 1:04 PM
What you are advocating is a felony under 246.3 PC. Keep the gunfire on the range or a self defense situation. Other than that, there is no place for it in a civilized society.

I'm not advocating anything. If someone is going to be negligent, at least have the courtesy to fire into the ground, rather than over people's homes. I heard shot raining down in the side yard of the house onto the sidewalk, no way in hell was I going outside.

jdogg2000
01-01-2010, 2:06 PM
Dang, I must live in a liberal, gun-fearing neighborhood as I didn't hear a single gun shot go off last night. It was quiet in my neck of the woods...

PolishMike
01-01-2010, 2:14 PM
Haven't these people ever heard of blanks? Dang! Winchester has 12 guage blanks that are louder than real ammo OR M-80s. Seems to me this would be a safer, cheaper and louder alternative to throwing lead into the air or using the smuggled Tijuana fireworks of unknown quality.

Just as illegal to shoot blanks as normal rounds in a city.

99sparks
01-01-2010, 2:15 PM
Guy about 4 houses east of us fired six shots last night. I did not get up but I suspect it was black powder with extra powder and no led.

Sionadi
01-01-2010, 2:24 PM
We went through about 400 rounds of ammo last night at my house. My neighbors used up even more.

bcrich
01-01-2010, 2:25 PM
Im in the hood and was amazed that nobody shot their guns last night in my hood, people did shoot off fireworks (4th of july rockets)

supersonic
01-01-2010, 2:25 PM

Yup:p

I don't condone firing a gun into the atmosphere in (or out of) city limits, nor have I ever done it *and never will*, but simple physics dictate that once a bullet reaches its maximum altitude, it has lost all of its energy. Now, I'm not saying that things that are in the path of that ascending missile aren't in danger. However, once that energy is gone, it's no different than simply dropping that small piece of copper/lead off a tall building. The myth of people being "killed" by a falling bullet are just that: myths. Someone would have to be firing straight down from a relatively close distance to actually pose a lethal threat to someone on the ground. It has been proven.

As far as last night was concerned, it sounded like friggin' bombs were being detonated.

caoboy
01-01-2010, 2:34 PM
I don't condone firing a gun into the atmosphere in (or out of) city limits, nor have I ever done it *and never will*, but simple physics dictate that once a bullet reaches its maximum altitude, it has lost all of its energy. Now, I'm not saying that things that are in the path of that ascending missile aren't in danger. However, once that energy is gone, it's no different than simply dropping that small piece of copper/lead off a tall building. The myth of people being "killed" by a falling bullet are just that: myths. Someone would have to be firing straight down from a relatively close distance to actually pose a lethal threat to someone on the ground. It has been proven.

As far as last night was concerned, it sounded like friggin' bombs were being detonated.

People don't always shoot 90* into the air either, like how mythbusters did the test. Try 45* or even 70* for that matter and see how much different the results can be. Raising up the firearm to shoot over the houses isn't exactly the same as the test.

Lagduf
01-01-2010, 2:39 PM
Hoop I too am in north Auburn and I went outside at 12am it started then. Between 12 and 1 am we heard at least 100 rounds of fire, probably more...

We are pretty rural out hear so I would feel FAR better doing fireworks and why would anyone WASTE ammo like that. not ONE shot came from at my place.

I'm down by Old Town in Auburn and I heard a bunch of fireworks from 12am to 1am, thankfully no gunshots in this residential area.

supersonic
01-01-2010, 2:55 PM
People don't always shoot 90* into the air either, like how mythbusters did the test. Try 45* or even 70* for that matter and see how much different the results can be. Raising up the firearm to shoot over the houses isn't exactly the same as the test.

I have no argument. I was talking about 'straight up' (or 90*). Anyone stupid enough to hold the gun at such an angle and fire deserves that bullet to come right back and hit 'em square between the eyes! (Not saying that it is smart to discharge a firearm into the air at all);)

KylaGWolf
01-01-2010, 4:07 PM
GAH I hate the morons that shoot the guns off in to the air or ground on NYE. Here is the thing they can ricochet when you shoot in to the ground. If you shoot in to the air they WILL come down eventually and just might hit someone. There was a case not to long ago that a man was killed by a gunshot on the 4th of July from a moron shooting at a barrel. And it is the idiots that shoot in to the air that give the anti-gun people soundbites on the evening news how evil guns are. As for fireworks I don't have a problem with them on the fourth of July on shows. But I do have a problem with the drunk morons shooting them off over houses that can and do catch fire in an area where one house catching on fire can take out neighborhoods. Or shoot them in to peoples cars thinking its funny.

Rule number one Don't shoot unless you plan to hit what you are shooting at.
Rule number two know your surroundings. If there is a chance of the bullet going where you don't want it to and it is not a life and death situation you have no business shooting in that location.

M14ROOKIE
01-01-2010, 4:30 PM
I even heard gunfire in Laguna Niguel, Ca. It went on for an hour, mostly 22 and 7-9mm sounding fire. I did head some large caliber stuff as well.

Cali-V
01-01-2010, 4:42 PM

Don't forget gunfire is helpful while hunting, and while conducting ag activities...

xlimey
01-01-2010, 4:59 PM
We have lived in Antioch on and off for more than 20 years. It is always noisy - but this New Year's Eve was the worst year I can remember for random gunfire. This was also the first year I can remember hearing something hitting the roof - the "yahoos" started at about 11:45 pm on New Years Eve and the firing went on pretty steadily for the best part of an hour. Some of it was VERY close - one of our dogs was really spooked and spent almost an hour trembling on my lap - pity she weighs 80 lbs...

jasilva
01-01-2010, 5:01 PM

You don't know enough about physics. The bullet will travel upward losing velocity, THEN it will return to earth gaining velocity until it reaches it's terminal velocity which is limited by atmospheric friction(in a vacuum it would regain ALL lost energy and hit at the speed it left the gun barrel). Army tests have shown a 30 cal. bullet will return to earth at 300 ft. per second with approx. 30 ft. lbs. of energy. Generally not enough to be fatal but still well above the energy needed to penetrate skin down into the muscle layer. This is based on the bullet falling base down(generally the case according to army testing). Personally I'd rather avoid this even if it's not fatal.

socal2310
01-01-2010, 6:13 PM
You don't know enough about physics. The bullet will travel upward losing velocity, THEN it will return to earth gaining velocity until it reaches it's terminal velocity which is limited by atmospheric friction(in a vacuum it would regain ALL lost energy and hit at the speed it left the gun barrel). Army tests have shown a 30 cal. bullet will return to earth at 300 ft. per second with approx. 30 ft. lbs. of energy. Generally not enough to be fatal but still well above the energy needed to penetrate skin down into the muscle layer. This is based on the bullet falling base down(generally the case according to army testing). Personally I'd rather avoid this even if it's not fatal.

Not only that, but it doesn't take very many degrees from vertical for a bullet to settle into a ballistic trajectory in which case it will maintain a lethal velocity throughout its flight.

I could count on one hand the number of times I've heard gunfire in my house here in Camarillo before last night. New Years Eve AND the second full moon of the month? I lost count after about 10 and then two of my daughters were awakened by a shotgun blast between two and three in the morning.

Meplat
01-01-2010, 6:35 PM
Very possibly a Calico 9-50. takes 50 & 100 Rnd mags and very easy to make go full auto. :eek:

its apperent now that someone in my neighborhood has an fully automatic weapon, had to have been a 30-50 round burst!!!( a good 4 sec burst) Didn't sound like a rifle, I'm thinking MAC or some sort of fully auto pistol caliber. police were cruisning the neighborhood no more than 10 mins later.

Meplat
01-01-2010, 6:56 PM
I really wish you would stop saying that. I do not advocate discharging a firearm in residential areas but if you are going to do it for god sake do not fire at any angle below 80 degrees!!! Any shot fired at the "ground" can ricochet. For all you know there is a big rock 1" below the surface of your lawn!! Bullets fired straight up or nearly so do not come back to earth with enough energy to cause serious injury due the laws of physics that pertain to the velocity of falling objects. I know I am going to have to site sources for that so off I go to find them.:mad:

I'm not advocating anything. If someone is going to be negligent, at least have the courtesy to fire into the ground, rather than over people's homes. I heard shot raining down in the side yard of the house onto the sidewalk, no way in hell was I going outside.

Meplat
01-01-2010, 7:05 PM
Any angle over 37 degrees and the bullet will be falling of its own weight when it comes back to earth.

I don't know what mythbusters found but my info comes from US Armey Ordenance tests.

ChrisO
01-01-2010, 7:54 PM
I live in the hood as well and it sounded like Somalia over here last night... Heard some Full Auto firing and plenty of pistols and shotguns...

Meplat
01-01-2010, 7:58 PM
You don't know enough about physics. The bullet will travel upward losing velocity, THEN it will return to earth gaining velocity until it reaches it's terminal velocity which is limited by atmospheric friction(in a vacuum it would regain ALL lost energy and hit at the speed it left the gun barrel). Army tests have shown a 30 cal. bullet will can return to earth at 300 ft. per second with approx. 30 ft. lbs. of energy. Generally not enough to be fatal but still well above the energy needed to penetrate skin down into the muscle layer. This is based on the bullet falling base down(generally{not} the case according to army testing). Personally I'd rather avoid this even if it's not fatal.

Fixed it for ya.

I think you need to re-read the data. To reach maximum terminal velocity it must be a boat tail bullet and must return to earth perfectly base down without any pitch, yaw, or tumbling. This is extremely unlikely as any gyroscopic stability is lost with the loss of forward velocity, but it does happen. 30 ft lbs. was the maximum energy achieved. And that was rare. It was determined that that was not enough to produce a dangerous wound. That is the absolute worst case scenario. Pistol bullets and shotgun pellets are much less dangerous. Projectiles fired at an angle of less than 90 but over about 37 degrees have much less chance of coming back without tumbling. Below 37 degrees the projectile will still have some of it original forward velocity when it comes down and be progressively more dangerous as the elevation decreases.

Most of this information can be found starting at page 220 of the NRA FIREARMS & AMMUNITION FACT BOOK. Though reading the Armey report is worthwhile as it has a lot of other interesting stuff in it. ;)

jasilva
01-01-2010, 8:14 PM
I think you need to re-read the data. To reach maximum terminal velocity it must be a boat tail bullet and must return to earth perfectly base down without any pitch, yaw, or tumbling. This is extremely unlikely as any gyroscopic stability is lost with the loss of forward velocity, but it does happen. 30 ft lbs. was the maximum energy achieved. And that was rare. It was determined that that was not enough to produce a dangerous wound. That is the absolute worst case scenario. Pistol bullets and shotgun pellets are much less dangerous. Projectiles fired at an angle of less than 90 but over about 37 degrees have much less chance of coming back without tumbling. Below 37 degrees the projectile will still have some of it original forward velocity when it comes down and be progressively more dangerous as the elevation decreases.

Most of this information can be found starting at page 220 of the NRA FIREARMS & AMMUNITION FACT BOOK. Though reading the Armey report is worthwhile as it has a lot of other interesting stuff in it. ;)

215 mph is the AVERAGE speed of a returning bullet from the army tests. May not be fatal but it will penetrate below the skin.

Interesting reading from Mythbusters

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/episode_50_bullets_fired_up_vo.html

May not happen often but once is too often...

otteray
01-01-2010, 8:50 PM
Sellier & Bellot 12 Ga Starburst ?
Are those safer?

Meplat
01-01-2010, 9:18 PM
215 mph is the AVERAGE speed of a returning bullet from the army tests. May not be fatal but it will penetrate below the skin.
May not happen often but once is too often...

True, and as I first said I am against shooting into the air. My point is that the risk has been so hysterically overstated in recent decades that we have people who should know better on here claiming it is safer to shoot at the "ground". It gives me the willies!

jasilva
01-01-2010, 9:38 PM
True, and as I first said I am against shooting into the air. My point is that the risk has been so hysterically overstated in recent decades that we have people who should know better on here claiming it is safer to shoot at the "ground". It gives me the willies!

Yep, me also, trouble with this state is they've gone to such great lengths to remove all risk from life that you can't actually celebrate New Years or the 4th of July with fireworks that actually sound like rockets and bombs. Most people can't go out of state to buy that stuff so they use whatever is at hand to make noise, unfortunately that would be firearms. Up where I live(out in the country far from cities) people have the acreage and the financial means to go out of state and buy the fun stuff. We don't ever hear about idiots with firearms on holidays. Folks run the irrigation to wet everything down well and then have fun. Yes it's riskier than playing with sparklers but on several hundred well irrigated acres your not risking anything but your own property. I grew up in the Bay Area and City of Albany used to make arrangements with Golden Gate Fields to open the north parking lot to everyone that wanted to set off fireworks. They'd bring out the fire trucks for safety and look the other way at "illegal" fireworks. They never had issues with homes/businesses getting burned and only the occasional self inflicted firework injury which was promptly handled by the paramedics on site. Seemed like an intelligent way to handle things. Everyone knows folks are going to do something to make merry on the holidays, this way it's as contained as possible.

Meplat
01-01-2010, 10:10 PM
A big 4 black ABS pipe about 3 long with a screw plug for a breach and a 1/8 touch hole drilled in the top makes a killer carbide cannon. Mount it on a carriage with big wooden wheels painted like a circus wagon. Fill balloons with 65/35 oxygen and acetylene. Stick um in the breach touching a short piece of cannon fuse wedged between the balloon and the barrel through the touch hole. Use round balloons as you can blow the gun up with long ones if you get the mix just right. Wear ear protection, it will put a .44 Mag to shame. Had the cops come track us down one July 4th, they thought it was dynamite! After we explained they stayed to touch off a few with us. I dont know if it is legal but its not designed to expel any sort of projectile. Just make noise. :43:

Yep, me also, trouble with this state is they've gone to such great lengths to remove all risk from life that you can't actually celebrate New Years or the 4th of July with fireworks that actually sound like rockets and bombs. Most people can't go out of state to buy that stuff so they use whatever is at hand to make noise, unfortunately that would be firearms. Up where I live(out in the country far from cities) people have the acreage and the financial means to go out of state and buy the fun stuff. We don't ever hear about idiots with firearms on holidays. Folks run the irrigation to wet everything down well and then have fun. Yes it's riskier than playing with sparklers but on several hundred well irrigated acres your not risking anything but your own property. I grew up in the Bay Area and City of Albany used to make arrangements with Golden Gate Fields to open the north parking lot to everyone that wanted to set off fireworks. They'd bring out the fire trucks for safety and look the other way at "illegal" fireworks. They never had issues with homes/businesses getting burned and only the occasional self inflicted firework injury which was promptly handled by the paramedics on site. Seemed like an intelligent way to handle things. Everyone knows folks are going to do something to make merry on the holidays, this way it's as contained as possible.

supersonic
01-01-2010, 10:16 PM

I never claimed to be a physics expert (you might recall my wording "simple physics";)). But, obviously, it is you who doesn't know enough about physics to make a "you don't know enough about physics" judgement call:

Like so.;)

Ron-Solo
01-01-2010, 10:41 PM

I've got to call FUD on your physics.

What you say is a MYTH, I was unfortunate enough to respond to on New Years Eve in 1986 in the unincorporated area of LA County. That young man was as dead as if someone had walked up and shot him in the face and it was a round coming from the sky. It went right thru the top of his head and killed him on the spot. I know, I wrote the initial report. I saw it with my own eyes.

Not many projectiles go straight up and come straight back down. A ballistic arc is more probable. I don't do physics, but I've seen the effects of bullet impacts hundreds of times in the last 31 years.

ChrisO
01-01-2010, 11:29 PM
I was just talking to one of my neighbors today about our other neighbor who got struck from a falling bullet "not on 4th of july". He was mowing the lawn and all the sudden felt a real sudden pain and jolt in his left side in the shoulder and chest area, He sat down because he thought he was having a stroke and realized he was bleeding. I saw him get wheeled away in a ambulance and as highly unlikely something like this is to happen I have witnessed this happen. I could not tell at what angle the bullet hit but it hit in the top of the shoulder blade and did do quite a bit of damage.

Rusty_Rebar
01-02-2010, 1:39 AM
http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.aspx?storyid=139274

nuff said.

supersonic
01-02-2010, 5:22 AM

What you say is a MYTH, I was unfortunate enough to respond to on New Years Eve in 1986 in the unincorporated area of LA County. That young man was as dead as if someone had walked up and shot him in the face and it was a round coming from the sky. It went right thru the top of his head and killed him on the spot. I know, I wrote the initial report. I saw it with my own eyes.

Not many projectiles go straight up and come straight back down. A ballistic arc is more probable. I don't do physics, but I've seen the effects of bullet impacts hundreds of times in the last 31 years.

Show me the report that comes to the definitive conclusion that it was from a gun being fired straight up. Until such report appears, don't 'call FUD' (used in the wrong context, by the way;)) about anything. Oh, by the way, a 'ballistic arc' would only be caused by a bullet that was fired at an angle.;) Some of you guys just don't get what I was originally saying, so I'm finished trying to explain it. Oh, and about that church story? A bullet that still has the kind of energy to not only defeat a church roof (depending on how old, that's a HUGE barrier to overcome) AND kill someone under it= not from a gun fired straight up in the atmosphere. Anyway, you guys carry on with this if you so choose. But I guarantee you that I will never be killed by a bullet "falling from the sky." (and neither will any of you);)

Roadrunner
01-02-2010, 5:36 AM

Actually, the mythbusters confirmed that a bullet shot straight up will lose all of its energy and fall back down at a less than lethal speed. However, a gun fired at an angle launches a bullet in a ballistic arch, and that bullet can hit a person with enough energy to seriously injure or kill them. It is never a good idea to fire a gun into the air, especially in Urbania where everyone is packed in like sardines in a can.

Rob454
01-02-2010, 8:56 AM
I dont care where you are shooting a gun in a populated area is a stupid thing to do. i have tons of guns and ammo and I was not about to go out and shoot off my guns. I did hear very few shots but it stopped immediately.

jasilva
01-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Actually, the mythbusters confirmed that a bullet shot straight up will lose all of its energy and fall back down at a less than lethal speed. However, a gun fired at an angle launches a bullet in a ballistic arch, and that bullet can hit a person with enough energy to seriously injure or kill them. It is never a good idea to fire a gun into the air, especially in Urbania where everyone is packed in like sardines in a can.

Sorry, their conclusion is based on THEIR judgement. Here's the episode notes.
http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/episode_50_bullets_fired_up_vo.html A 9mm bullet penetrating the soil 2" sideways may not be lethal but it's going to do some damage to a person. Nitpick all you want but it's a stupid *** idea to shoot a gun in the air and may not be uniformly fatal but it does NOT fall back to earth harmlessly.

chickenfried
01-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Hatcher's notebook also had a section about this, he reached a similar conclusion. But yeah firing guns in the air on NYE is not a good idea..

Sorry, their conclusion is based on THEIR judgement. Here's the episode notes.
http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/episode_50_bullets_fired_up_vo.html A 9mm bullet penetrating the soil 2" sideways may not be lethal but it's going to do some damage to a person. Nitpick all you want but it's a stupid *** idea to shoot a gun in the air and may not be uniformly fatal but it does NOT fall back to earth harmlessly.

supersonic
01-02-2010, 11:47 AM

That's all I was trying to say in the first place.:)

Mikeinblack
01-02-2010, 8:53 PM
One of a number of stories on the news... Dumb-A## thing to do, and helps the anti's each time it happens...

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/22106539/detail.html

And yes, there is a photo of a hole in the center of the ceiling of the place...

SteveH
01-02-2010, 9:05 PM
What are the odds of someone being able to fire a gun, by hand, perfectly straight into the air? so that it goes straight up until losing all its energy then falling straight down. Unlikely at best.

turbosbox
01-02-2010, 10:29 PM
If they can't restrain from firing, I'd still rather they risk taking out their sprinkler system or cable tv by firing into their lawns than "up in the air". I'm betting most of them who fire "straight up into the air" actually are like 45degrees or something. And might even think that is safer than straight up = 90degrees. I was a bit worried also at about midnight in modesto.

sargenv
01-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Have you ever watched a poor dog be terrorized by the noises of either? I have to medicate my dogs every NYE & July 4th, and they still suffer greatly.

Any time my dog hears gunfire, she looks for critters dropping out of the sky so she can go retreive them..

Pig Rifle
01-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Just as illegal to shoot blanks as normal rounds in a city.

Yeah I hear ya. Not advocating law-breaking, just safety.

Meplat
01-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Well................, 50 BMG gets dicey, and 20mm is worse. bigger than that with boat tails and a whole series of unlikely bad luck? Could happen.

But 99.99999% of celebratory shooting is handgun, shotgun, or light rifle.

Show me the report that comes to the definitive conclusion that it was from a gun being fired straight up. Until such report appears, don't 'call FUD' (used in the wrong context, by the way;)) about anything. Oh, by the way, a 'ballistic arc' would only be caused by a bullet that was fired at an angle.;) Some of you guys just don't get what I was originally saying, so I'm finished trying to explain it. Oh, and about that church story? A bullet that still has the kind of energy to not only defeat a church roof (depending on how old, that's a HUGE barrier to overcome) AND kill someone under it= not from a gun fired straight up in the atmosphere. Anyway, you guys carry on with this if you so choose. But I guarantee you that I will never be killed by a bullet "falling from the sky." (and neither will any of you);)

ireload
01-03-2010, 5:33 AM
I sleep through the first 15 mins of New Years but woke up and heard no gun fire in my neck of the woods.

yellowfin
01-03-2010, 5:55 AM
I guess we don't have any trap shooters or bird hunters on here to realize that obviously shooting a shotgun with birdshot into the air is safe or we'd never do it.

Bruce
01-03-2010, 6:53 AM
In my younger days, I always tried out my Christmas present by shooting it on New Year's.........into the ground. One year I was struck a glancing blow in my living room by a 200grain .38 Spl "Super Police" bullet. Turned it over to the local gendarmes who tossed it in the ivy on their way back to their car.

Swatguy10_15
01-03-2010, 7:10 AM
I was in south stockton working (around main and wilson) and wow..It was impressive..I was most impressed by how many in this city own full auto weapons..Time to move.

bruss01
01-03-2010, 9:35 AM
Kid in church on New Year's Eve hit by descending bullet coming through church roof (http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/22106539/detail.html)

It happens, and a little kid is dead because of it. A year or two ago it was a little girl, hit by a 44 magnum bullet fired a quarter mile away.

It happens and we (gun owners) all pay the price for it by being lumped together with all the idiots who do such things. Very sad.

Markinsac
01-03-2010, 10:24 PM
I occasionally work for a private security company in the Sacramento area. I was out working over New Year's Eve.

I had my scanner going, and heard the Police helicopter announce around 10:45PM that they were going to go land for their own safety.

I put out a message to the other officers in my company that I'd recommend that they be in a building or under cover at midnight for at least ten minutes.

Ron-Solo
01-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Don't forget gunfire is helpful while hunting, and while conducting ag activities...

I overlooked that, since I'm not a big hunter, but I agree there also.

:D

davescz
01-04-2010, 4:48 PM
fireworks or no fireworks....fire into the ground or not. Would you like it if your family is outside playing...and you can hear shotguns going off?

the sound dont bother me, but stray rounds do.