PDA

View Full Version : Product used to clean stainless revolver?

dg29
01-01-2010, 9:45 AM
I've used the search function to attempt to locate a recent thread that dealt with cleaning my stainless Ruger GP-100. I'd appreciate finding out what cleaning product is used to clean up the residual stuff deposited on the end of the cylinder and the cylinder end of the barrel after a shooting session. My guess is that the same residue is in the barrel and I'd like to get this thing cleaned up once and for all.
Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!
dg

Rwnielsen
01-01-2010, 9:57 AM
Hoppe's #9 and
Grease, Type 1, elbow
Copper Chore Boy for the cylinders and bore
brass or fine stainless 'tooth' brush'
rinse with Brake Kleen and oil
I use that method on my SRH-44 and the GP-100

I apologize for the omission

dg29
01-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Hoppe's #9 and
Grease, Type 1, elbow

Neither of those will remove the powder and lead burn on the end of the cylinder and barrel after a session at the range. I recall seeing recently a thread regarding a product, or two, out there that make dealing with this issue a breeze.

Californio
01-01-2010, 10:21 AM
I use Rig Lead-wipe, use on stainless only not on blued finish. Also will clean lead out of the bore.

GunDog
01-01-2010, 10:53 AM
You may want to try using a bronze wire detail brush and powder solvent to clean the areas in question.

rivviepop
01-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Neither of those will remove the powder and lead burn on the end of the cylinder and barrel after a session at the range. I recall seeing recently a thread regarding a product, or two, out there that make dealing with this issue a breeze.

Lead-Clean Gun Cloth, you find it at most shops and ranges. As mentioned keep it away from blued, stainless only. I cut a small square about 1.5" and fold it twice, reversing the folds as each part becomes blackened and unusable. Wear rubber gloves, who knows what toxic junk is in this product.

For the rest of the gun I like Hoppes Elite - yeah it's more expensive than #9 but it cleans a lot better, doesn't smell (great for winter indoor cleaning) and is less messy to use when you have the spritzer bottle variant. Brass brush, q-tips and patches as well as the usual bore brush and jag. Buy a chamber brush as well to give your cylinders a once-over now and again. Buy a set of the Tipton plastic dental picks, they're great for scraping off stubborn stuff like forcing cone and chamber ring areas.

bombadillo
01-01-2010, 11:13 AM
if you can find "Lead Wipes" in a yellow container, get them. They remove EVERYTHING from my stainless super redhawk. Its unreal what cleaning does then going over them with lead wipes. Hard to find though.

naimad
01-01-2010, 11:14 AM
The super eraser works great,will make the front cylinder of your ss revolver look new with out being to agressive,will also remove light rust and scratches

http://www.bladeshop.net/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3745

Another good product e-z brite

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/24852/catid/16/E_Z_Brite

RedFord150
01-01-2010, 11:18 AM
I have soaked mine in Shooter's Choice for a while and than used a brass detail brush on the face of the Cylinder. I use a brass bore brush and Shooter's Choice on the bore. I than alternate wet patches (soaked with Shooter's Choice) and dry patches until the dry patch comes out clean. I than finish off the entire metal surface (inside and out) of the gun with a light coat of Breakfree CLP.
My 19 year-old stainless GP100 looks pretty darn good.
Just my .02...

erskatedoc
01-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Simply Green works great, but its water based. After I use it to clean the exterior and barrel, I dry everything followed by a spray with brake cleaner. Gets rid of any residual water. Gun will be spotless when you are done.

You can also use MPro 7. Works well.

http://www.mpro7.com/MPro7-Gun-Cleaner.html

den888
01-01-2010, 5:44 PM
A lead cloth works well. I use an old one made by Hoppes.

8200rpm
01-01-2010, 5:48 PM
This is what you want. DO NOT USE ON BLUED FINISHES!!!

Tipton Metal Magic Rust and Lead Remover Gun Cleaning Cloth

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=623952

c good
01-01-2010, 7:57 PM
Flitz polish works pretty good too.

slik556
01-01-2010, 11:05 PM
BENCH GRINDER!:D