PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Cap mags

woodey
01-01-2010, 9:18 AM
I know "importing" Hi-cap mags is illegal. So the party sending them would be the "exporter"? The "exporter" is not covered under the law? If a Hi-cap mag were sent to you by mistake would that make you an "importer"? Seems to me no, but that why I ask. If a Hi-cap mag were sent to you whithout your request would anyone have broken the law? Seem to me to be like finding a Hi-cap mag at a shooting area. What do you think?

Fjold
01-01-2010, 9:52 AM
Sure, don't let the conspiracy laws bother you. No one will ever possibly roll on you if they get in trouble.

cdtx2001
01-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Is it legal to "get" a hi-cap, is that what you're asking?

From CA PC 12020

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be
manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity
magazine.

It doesn't say you can't find, buy, receive, or otherwise procure a hi-cap mag.

Interesting argument if it hasn't already been argued.

woodey
01-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Is it legal to "get" a hi-cap, is that what you're asking?.

Not really, I was woundering if some one sent one by mistake , like in a parts kit. Without you aking for it or know they were including it.

BigDogatPlay
01-01-2010, 10:15 AM
This scenario has been discussed a time or two. The understanding I glean is that if it happens into your possession through no direct fault of your own you can:

1) send it back.
2) break it down to parts and keep it.
3) use it and keep your yap shut.

Possession is no crime and importation, I believe, would be a specific intent crime. If you didn't intend to obtain the standard capacity mag through your purchase, but got one anyway, it could be no foul.

But that's only my layman's opinion.

The Director
01-01-2010, 10:36 AM
3) use it and keep your yap shut.

Excellent idea. There is enough info on this topic in the forums that one should be able to deduce this by themselves without resorting to posting about it on a VERY public internet forum.

Too many...."my friend" or "hypothetically speaking" scenarios on here. Use some common sense, people. OPSEC!

Vinz
01-01-2010, 1:33 PM
Not really, I was woundering if some one sent one by mistake , like in a parts kit. Without you aking for it or know they were including it. nothing illegal with buying a rebuild kit.

have a look around, there must be a thousand highly detailed threads on the subject.
vinz

woodey
01-01-2010, 3:24 PM
nothing illegal with buying a rebuild kit.

have a look around, there must be a thousand highly detailed threads on the subject.
vinz

I am thinking from the out of state senders point of veiw. If someone from another state sent one here by mistake should they worry that the Cal. DOJ is going to come kick there door down & haul them off? I think not, the question was asked trying to look at it from the senders point of view not to upset people.

hoffmang
01-01-2010, 3:37 PM
I am thinking from the out of state senders point of veiw. If someone from another state sent one here by mistake should they worry that the Cal. DOJ is going to come kick there door down & haul them off? I think not, the question was asked trying to look at it from the senders point of view not to upset people.

As a practical matter, someone who accidentaly sends in a large-capacity magazine has little to fear. However, it is illegal.

-Gene

rromeo
01-01-2010, 3:56 PM
What if they "fall off a truck?"

bigcalidave
01-01-2010, 3:59 PM
:party:
First High Cap Magazine thread of 2010!!!!