PDA

View Full Version : FTF Sales at gun shows

TheEngineer
01-01-2010, 6:50 AM
Stupid question, I know I've seen people lugging around assorted long guns at gun shows advertising sales, how does that work with handguns? Provided they are transported in accordance with the law (12026 etc.) is this also legal if you declare them at the door?

Do you simply need to find an FFL who isn't swamped with OLL sales and ask if they'll do a transfer?

geeknow
01-01-2010, 6:57 AM
you mean to bring one, or sell one?

either way, the process is like this.....

transport (legally) your handgun to the show. park. wait in line. at the door, declare your firearm. they will inspect to verify that it is clear, tag it as inspected, and usually zip tie the action/hammer.

wander the show with a large sign proclaiming what you have to offer for sale.

when you have found a buyer/struck a deal, locate a 'transfer dealer'....which is fancy for 'ffl'. buyer fills out some paperwork. seller fills out some paperwork. everyone eats beef jerky and goes home. buyer retrieves his firearm from the ffl some 10ish days later...

hope this helps..

Khram
01-01-2010, 8:00 AM
Make sure you don't go to a FFL at show that is charging over $35 to do a ppt. There is more than a few playing that game.

vta
01-01-2010, 9:43 AM
everyone eats beef jerky and goes home

:rofl2:

Guilty.

bigbob76
01-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Make sure you don't go to a FFL at show that is charging over $35 to do a ppt. There is more than a few playing that game.

I operate a couple of businesses myself and understand the costs involved. An FFL holder only makes a few dollars for their time and trouble so I make it a point to buy stuff from them. If an FFL holder is able to process a transfer for me at a show and he's found a way to charge extra and make a profit on it while saving me time that's great!

vta
01-01-2010, 11:09 AM
I operate a couple of businesses myself and understand the costs involved. An FFL holder only makes a few dollars for their time and trouble so I make it a point to buy stuff from them. If an FFL holder is able to process a transfer for me at a show and he's found a way to charge extra and make a profit on it while saving me time that's great!

i will always buy stuff from my FFL assuming they are friendly and honest. the 10 buck they make on a PPT is nothing for the amount of work involved. But to try an sneak a couple bucks into the transactions illegally, it does not give me a very good feeling about how they conduct business otherwise.

For example, I was a Goleta Valley Guns for a PPT last week, as I waited to pay for the transfer, I was walking around the shop looking for things to buy. When he rang up the transaction at 47 bucks, I put back everything I was holding in my hand and paid for just the transfer fee and left. Aside from picking up my gun in 10 days, I will probably not go back.

DarkHorse
01-01-2010, 11:12 AM

I like supporting local FFL's as well, but why would I support somebody that is knowingly breaking the law for a few bucks?

hoodrat
01-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Gun shows are lucrative for ffl's they should have the manpower to deal with the demand. They have a responsibility as do buyers to create a pro gun enviroment. That means doing somethings that are not as lucrative for the beterment of the fraternaty of shooters. Maybe there is an oppertunity for a smart ffl to set up a ptt booth.

I have stopped shopping at my local gun shop because they refused to do a ppt unless there is no one in the store. I waited on multiple occasions over 90 min hoping the store would clear out. I, we ended up walking out on all those occasions. I dont go to that shop any more.

I had spent some serious coin in there over the last 15 years. This is there store policy. I was on a first name basis with at least 3 of the employees. I will support ffl's who will do transfers with my patronage.

vta
01-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Gun shows are lucrative for ffl's they should have the manpower to deal with the demand. They have a responsibility as do buyers to create a pro gun enviroment. That means doing somethings that are not as lucrative for the beterment of the fraternaty of shooters. Maybe there is an oppertunity for a smart ffl to set up a ptt booth.

I have stopped shopping at my local gun shop because they refused to do a ppt unless there is no one in the store. I waited on multiple occasions over 90 min hoping the store would clear out. I, we ended up walking out on all those occasions. I dont go to that shop any more.

I had spent some serious coin in there over the last 15 years. This is there store policy. I was on a first name basis with at least 3 of the employees. I will support ffl's who will do transfers with my patronage.

which shop is it so I know who to or not to support?

bigcalidave
01-01-2010, 7:25 PM
For example, I was a Goleta Valley Guns for a PPT last week, as I waited to pay for the transfer, I was walking around the shop looking for things to buy. When he rang up the transaction at 47 bucks, I put back everything I was holding in my hand and paid for just the transfer fee and left. Aside from picking up my gun in 10 days, I will probably not go back.

So go there in 10 days, with a copy of the law, and tell them you won't pay more than $35 for the PPT. If they refuse, call DOJ. It's not acceptable, unfortunately. Post the name of the shop here, someone will probably call and "inform" them.

Oldbud
01-01-2010, 8:05 PM

If a gun lock was added to the transaction, it might be correct...

vta
01-01-2010, 8:34 PM
If a gun lock was added to the transaction, it might be correct...

actually on the receipt it reads:

$20.00 - Safe Handling demonstration
$27.00 - Private Party Transfer

what gives. of course I never did received the demonstration. not that i would want one but if i am paying for it, i'd like to see a little dog and pony show.

I actually have had Turners in Redondo Beach charge me for the gun lock without asking me if I had one with receipt thats within 30 days or the option to do a gun safe affidavit. Whats even better is after they charged me for a lock, they never gave me a lock when I picked it up.

bigcalidave
01-01-2010, 9:40 PM
Wow, that's creative. I don't think it's legal but I'm really not sure. Isn't that part of the PPT, so they would have to do it as part of the $10 they can charge?
It's supposed to read $25 DROS $10 Store Fees. Nothing more. And go to walmart for a lock, that you can return when you get the gun. As long as it is their approved firearm lock, it'll be good.

vta
01-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Wow, that's creative. I don't think it's legal but I'm really not sure. Isn't that part of the PPT, so they would have to do it as part of the $10 they can charge?
It's supposed to read $25 DROS $10 Store Fees. Nothing more. And go to walmart for a lock, that you can return when you get the gun. As long as it is their approved firearm lock, it'll be good.

I don't know how many people rat on their FFL to the DOJ for doing stuff like this but I am sure not a lot. After all, you want to get on their good side so maybe they can cut you a break on prices in the future.

In many smaller towns, there is only a small handful of FFLs and they pretty much have the firearms market locked up. As much as they don't like doing PPTs, it is required of them in order for them to keep their license. If they don't want to do it by the book, then don't go into the gun business. It's as easy as that.

bigbob76
01-01-2010, 10:03 PM
And go to walmart for a lock, that you can return when you get the gun. As long as it is their approved firearm lock, it'll be good.

You may not be stealing Walmarts lock that way but I do believe that to be stealing in principle. Consider the time they waste to process the sale, return, and restocking of a lock you knew you weren't going to keep. I'm hoping we can present a better example of ourselves as responsible firearms enthusiasts.

trendar5
01-02-2010, 1:45 AM
Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountain View had a little ploy to charge "storage and insurance," to cover all the terrible expenses that they suffer while the gun sits for 10 days! They are actually allowed to charge for storage if the gun isn't picked up in a timely manner, but not in advance. Dirty. When they were told its against the law by customers, they ignored them until DOJ settled it.

bigcalidave
01-02-2010, 10:07 AM
You may not be stealing Walmarts lock that way but I do believe that to be stealing in principle. Consider the time they waste to process the sale, return, and restocking of a lock you knew you weren't going to keep. I'm hoping we can present a better example of ourselves as responsible firearms enthusiasts.

Seriously?
Gimme a break. It's walmart.

Vta, you should educate the dealer who may be confused about what they can LEGALLY charge for that service. You think you are on the FFLs good side? Getting a break on prices? They are abusing a system that has strict rules. It's part of their license to sell guns at all. The problem with letting stores get away with extra charges is who knows where they will stop. I hear it almost every day, new gun buyer making their first purchase. Gun store tacks on another 80 in fees and tells them the state makes them do it.

THAT IS STEALING. .

not renting a lock from walmart.