PDA

View Full Version : Colt Python and the Colt Python Elite? & Anaconda?

Noel
12-31-2009, 7:49 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Colt Python and the Colt Python Elite? I can't seem to find any information comparing the two...

Also I was wounding how the Anaconda compare to the Python... Is the trigger pull not as good on the Anaconda as the Python? ... The Anaconda seem to be less expensive...

Ps... Does the Anaconda go out of time like the Python?

langss
12-31-2009, 8:27 PM
The Python is .357 Mag the Anaconda is .44 Mag

Noel
12-31-2009, 8:34 PM
The Python is .357 Mag the Anaconda is .44 Mag

Ya... I know that, but I was wondering about the trigger mechanism since the Anaconda goes for less then the Python....

ivanimal
12-31-2009, 8:38 PM
I have a Pyton Elite. It is basically a reintroduction of the python after they quit making them in 78. They are beautiful and a joy to shoot. The anaconda is a much larger gun and cannot be compared in my book.

Notice the grips are unusual
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/pythonelite044.jpg

The royal bluing is exquisite on theses as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/pythonelite039.jpg

Mr. Beretta
12-31-2009, 8:48 PM
My understanding between the two were the Elite's came with different grips (like ivanimal's) and the best blue finish ever found on a modern handgun. I've only seem acouple in person. The blue finish was so deep you could go swimming in it! They did come with the nickel and bushed stainless finishes as well. They were Colt's best IMHO.

Noel
12-31-2009, 8:48 PM
So the only difference is a reintroduction?

The Python is considered the Rolls Royce of revolvers and I have to assume that is because of the attention paid to it at construction… Where as the Anaconda goes for less money and I was thinking that maybe it was more mass produce and the quality is not as good… Or is there more Anacondas floating around out there and the demand is less…

Oh... Nice looking Python...
I have a Pyton Elite. It is basically a reintroduction of the python after they quit making them in 78. They are beautiful and a joy to shoot. The anaconda is a much larger gun and cannot be compared in my book.

Notice the grips are unusual
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/pythonelite044.jpg

The royal bluing is exquisite on theses as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/pythonelite039.jpg

ivanimal
12-31-2009, 9:00 PM
The Pythons were as close to a custom hand assembled gun as you could buy without ordering one. The Anacondas were more of a factory assembl line gun. Much like the King Cobra. You could compare the King Cobra and the Python also the Kodiak and the Anaconda. That would be fairish...er.:cool:

9mmepiphany
12-31-2009, 9:05 PM
the Anaconda's action is based on modern castings and power by coil springs...much less expensive to produce and required less hand fitting of the action

the action of the Python constantly going out of time is overblown. it takes more of a beating, when shooting magnum loads, than a S&W, because the action locks up tighter during ignition.

i carried one of my Pythons as a duty gun when i first got into LE and i fed it CCI 140gr JHP magum loads. when i retired it and went to an auto, i swapped the barrel for a 6" one and shot PPC with it for a few years...the timing is still fine. of couse that might be partly due to the fact i had it properly fitted when i first got it.

langss
12-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Ya... I know that, but I was wondering about the trigger mechanism since the Anaconda goes for less then the Python....Sorry.....You asked the difference.Seriously I have both a 70's and an 80's Python the difference is like night and day.As far as the Anaconda.Its a nice gun, but shooting full charge .44 mag is not fun.It does shoot Target Loads very well.I thought it would be a better gun than the Model 29,but I think shooting full charge loads all the time in either one will just beat the gun up.If you want to shoot full charge all the time....Ruger Super Redhawk.Just my .02.

direwolf
01-01-2010, 2:18 AM
speaking as an anaconda owner and python seeker - (I gave my last python to my cousin when I moved out from Iowa and had NO IDEA what a PAIN california is...) I like both guns. The action on the Python sure is sweet - its like glass. The Anaconda is a much larger revolver, and despite the honest opinions to the contrary, I feel that it is not a huge step down from the Python, its just... different.
Jim

battleship
01-01-2010, 2:27 AM
Anacondas have a very smooth action, not as good as a Python but allot more smoother than a model 29.