PDA

View Full Version : New Laws in 2010

glockman19
12-31-2009, 4:44 PM
AB 532 - will allow police to obtain a search warrant warrant to seize guns or other deadly weapons from within a house after a report of domestic violence or mental health incident.
(Click Here to see the full text of the law).
According to the CALIFORNIA LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL'S DIGEST:

Existing law establishes various grounds for the issuance of a search warrant.
This bill would additionally authorize issuance of a search warrant when the property or things to be seized include a firearm or any other deadly weapon that is owned by, or in the possession of, or in the custody or control of, a person who has been detained or apprehended for examination of his or her mental condition, as specified. The bill would also authorize issuance of a search warrant when the property or things to be seized include a firearm or any other deadly weapon at the scene of, or at the premises occupied or under the control of the person arrested in connection with, a domestic violence incident involving a threat to human life or a physical assault, as specified. The bill would also state that it is not the intent of the Legislature in enacting the measure to authorize the seizure of firearms in specified circumstances.

AB 962 - requires gun sellers to record sales of ammunition, and requires the fingerprinting and identification of the purchaser.
(Click Here to see the full text of the law).
According to the CALIFORNIA LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL'S DIGEST:

Existing law generally regulates the sale of ammunition.
The bill would provide that no handgun ammunition vendor, as defined, shall sell, offer for sale, or display for sale, any handgun ammunition in a manner that allows that ammunition to be accessible to a purchaser without the assistance of the vendor or employee thereof. Existing law generally regulates what information is required to be obtained in connection with the transfer of ammunition. This bill would, subject to exceptions, commencing February 1, 2011, require handgun ammunition vendors to obtain a thumbprint and other information from ammunition purchasers, as specified. A violation of these provisions would be a misdemeanor. This bill would provide that a person enjoined from engaging in activity associated with a criminal street gang, as specified, would be prohibited from having under his or her possession, custody, or control, any ammunition. Violation of these provisions would be a misdemeanor. The bill would prohibit supplying or delivering, as specified, handgun ammunition to prohibited persons, as described, by persons or others who know, or by using reasonable care should know, that the recipient is a person prohibited from possessing ammunition or a minor prohibited from possessing ammunition, as specified. Violation of these provisions is a misdemeanor with specified penalties. The bill would provide, subject to exceptions, that commencing February 1, 2011, the delivery or transfer of ownership of handgun ammunition may only occur in a face-to-face transaction, with the deliverer or transferor being provided bona fide evidence of identity of the purchaser or other transferee. A violation of these provisions would be a misdemeanor.

For a list of the other 55 laws effective Jan 1, 2010 you can go to:

http://www.turnto23.com/news/22082017/detail.html

SteveH
12-31-2009, 4:45 PM
Changes to 12020(a)(1) and 629.10 as well.

PatriotnMore
12-31-2009, 4:59 PM
[quote=glockman19;3573294]AB 532 - will allow police to obtain a search warrant warrant to seize guns or other deadly weapons from within a house after a report of domestic violence or mental health incident.

The bill would also authorize issuance of a search warrant when the property or things to be seized include a firearm or any other deadly weapon at the scene of, or at the premises occupied or under the control of the person arrested in connection with, a domestic violence incident involving a threat to human life or a physical assault, as specified. The bill would also state that it is not the intent of the Legislature in enacting the measure to authorize the seizure of firearms in specified circumstances.[quote]

I see where it says arrest but, let me ask a questions, I am ignorant of how this works anymore.

If a domestic violence call is made, and the caller says they were physically threatened, do LEOs have to/ most likely would make an arrest based on the accusation?

Also, is gun ownership available to LE on their car computers?

SJ78
12-31-2009, 5:05 PM
If they can really take guns away for just a "report" this is insane. I can understand if you have been convicted . But anyone can make up a false claim .

PatriotnMore
12-31-2009, 5:09 PM
That is my concern as well.

If they can really take guns away for just a "report" this is insane. I can understand if you have been convicted . But anyone can make up a false claim .

Rusty_Rebar
12-31-2009, 5:14 PM
Changes to 12020(a)(1) and 629.10 as well.

Any more info on these changes?

mdouglas1980
12-31-2009, 5:16 PM

Oh don't you just love living in CA? lol

glockman19
12-31-2009, 5:20 PM
Welcome to California of the 21st Century. You have no rights. You can't even exercize your "Inalieable Rights" as stated in Article 1 section 1 of the California Constitution.

SECTION 1. All people are by nature free and independent and have
inalienable rights. Among these are enjoying and defending life and
liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and pursuing
and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to legally defend your Life or Property in CA. And Obtaining Safety is expected to come from a call to 911 even though "Law Enforcement has NO OBLIGATION to protect any individual.

POLICESTATE
12-31-2009, 5:30 PM
In response to AB532, I think this puts anyone who has a contentious relationship with neighbors, co-workers, and even family members in serious jeopardy of having their rights denied. Not only do I consider this a violation of due process I consider this giving just about anyone an easy way to attack you and deprive you of your rights (not to mention putting some BS on your record) just by saying you threatened them, without having any proof whatsoever.

It also makes it so that anyone who feels they may be at risk of such BS to potentially hide a few items away somewhere if they have the ability to do so, e.g. in another state or another location in the same state that a search warrant of this nature would not cover.

Here's a few scenarios I think are rife for abuse:
1. PO'd spouse
2. PO'd soon-to-be ex-spouse
3. PO'd significant other
4. PO'd co-worker (for whatever reason)
5. PO'd neighbor (again, for whatever reason)

Hell, they wouldn't even have to know you have guns, maybe they are even a friggin' nutcase themselves. For instance, what if you got promoted ahead of some bozo co-worker and they decided to make life difficult for you by calling the police saying you threatened to beat them with a tire iron in the parking lot? Prepare to get your door bashed in while you're held at gunpoint (along with anyone else in the house) and they take your stuff.

Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. And once again we are at the mercy of the courts IF this gets challenged as a violation of due process. Of course I'm sure they will say that since it IS a law that it is a part of due process.

Happy New Year indeed!

SJ78
12-31-2009, 5:30 PM
I think if these same laws were applied to Politicians ! and law enforcement !
they would think twice about passing them . But elites never have to worry about their safety . They forget they wouldnt be elites without people that voted them in office .

POLICESTATE
12-31-2009, 5:41 PM
Since we're all EQUAL in the USA I don't see any reason why laws like this should not apply to ALL, regardless of their profession.

Oh and I should point out the neither the politicians (though a few are) or LEO are the elite. The super rich buttholes are the elites, they let the politicians and the LEOs do the dirty work for them, keep us simple folk in our place. Even though it is a crime to foment revolution is it a crime to hope for it?

they would think twice about passing them . But elites never have to worry about their safety . They forget they wouldnt be elites without people that voted them in office .

Kid Stanislaus
12-31-2009, 6:01 PM
"This bill would additionally authorize issuance of a search warrant when the property or things to be seized include a firearm or any other deadly weapon that is owned by, or in the possession of, or in the custody or control of, a person who has been detained or apprehended for examination of his or her mental condition, as specified. The bill would also authorize issuance of a search warrant when the property or things to be seized include a firearm or any other deadly weapon at the scene of, or at the premises occupied or under the control of the person arrested in connection with, a domestic violence incident involving a threat to human life or a physical assault, as specified. The bill would also state that it is not the intent of the Legislature in enacting the measure to authorize the seizure of firearms in specified circumstances."

Get ready for a deluge of 5150 claims.

SJ78
12-31-2009, 6:28 PM
No i agree that most law enforcement are not the elites . But their are some
who do get special treatment because they are LE . For instance it's not legal to own an m16 . Only LE should have them for on duty . Example the LAPD . But i'am sure they could get by with owning one . Also 15 rnd mags
are not legal for citizens , but LE can have them off duty at home .
Laws should apply to all .

The Director
12-31-2009, 7:27 PM
Why wasn't this bill on CGF radar??? Are we just hearing about this now?

chris
01-01-2010, 10:32 AM

no law will ever apply to the people that create the law or enforce it!

coolinsocal
01-01-2010, 3:04 PM
Welcome to California of the 21st Century. You have no rights. You can't even exercize your "Inalieable Rights" as stated in Article 1 section 1 of the California Constitution.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to legally defend your Life or Property in CA. And Obtaining Safety is expected to come from a call to 911 even though "Law Enforcement has NO OBLIGATION to protect any individual.

Nooooo there are still rights here in Ca, just ask any of the millions of illegal alliens residing here in Ca.

SJ78
01-01-2010, 3:11 PM

Isn't that the truth :mad:

juicemansam
01-02-2010, 5:13 AM
No i agree that most law enforcement are not the elites . But their are some
who do get special treatment because they are LE . For instance it's not legal to own an m16 . Only LE should have them for on duty . Example the LAPD . But i'am sure they could get by with owning one . Also 15 rnd mags
are not legal for citizens , but LE can have them off duty at home .
Laws should apply to all .

Isn't that the truth :mad:

Just the other day I was reading my Glock's manual.
This GLOCK product is classified by the ALCOHOL, TOBACCO and FIREARMS Division, of the INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE, U.S. TREASURY DEPARTMENT, AS A FIREARM OR DANGEROUS WEAPON. IT IS, THEREFORE POTENTIALLY LETHAL!
Funny ain't it. Just for kicks I would like to see one of those hierarchy charts, like those used to show a mafia's hierarchy, to show government and associate/affiliate organizations, and where they stand in relation to each other.

SteveH
01-02-2010, 12:43 PM
LE do have access to a cross-ref. database of names/addresses/BATF/DOJ records.

[QUOTE=PatriotnMore;3573377][quote=glockman19;3573294]AB 532 - will allow police to obtain a search warrant warrant to seize guns or other deadly weapons from within a house after a report of domestic violence or mental health incident.

The bill would also authorize issuance of a search warrant when the property or things to be seized include a firearm or any other deadly weapon at the scene of, or at the premises occupied or under the control of the person arrested in connection with, a domestic violence incident involving a threat to human life or a physical assault, as specified. The bill would also state that it is not the intent of the Legislature in enacting the measure to authorize the seizure of firearms in specified circumstances.

California is a mandatory arrest state for Domestic violence. You tell a cop your wife assaulted you and he is required by law to do several things; write a crime report, provide with with information on DV victims rights and advocacy groups, ask about the presence of firearms in the home, offer you confidentiality in the reports and ask you if you want an emergency protective order. If you have an injury then he is required to arrest the suspect if possible in addition to all the other things listed. You can thank OJ simpson and the legislature for that one.

SteveH
01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Every year the Legislature passes new laws requiring the cops to ask another specific question or provide another specific handout at domestic violence calls. I think the "Marcy's Card" was the most recent change.

http://www.sjpd.org/victsassistance/MarcysLaw.html