PDA

View Full Version : Glock 36 or S&W M&P 40

jermedic
12-31-2009, 3:16 PM
Santa was very good to me this year and left me some gift cards for the Bass Pro shop just down the street. I figure what better gift than a new gun, right?;) I am just about done with my paperwork for the county and hope to turn it in next week, so I am in the market for another gun to ad to my future CCW permit. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Glock 36 and the M&P 40. I have been able to get my hands on both and put about 20 rounds down range with each. Both felt good and I shoot both about the same. I was wondering if anyone has experience with either gun and could enlighten me about the pros/cons of either. Right now I am kind of leaning towards the Glock. Even though it only holds 6+1, it's a 45 and seems like it would conceal well on me. I like how light and thin it is (by the way i am about 5'10" and weigh 130 after a meal lol). The M&P holds 10+1 in 40 so thats kind of nice too. My other 2 guns I plan to put on the permit are a Springfield XD40 subcompact, and a Taurus 605 5 shot 357mag if that makes a difference to any of you.

DerGlock
12-31-2009, 3:30 PM
I carry a glock 36 in a supertuck holster - great carry gun.

vta
12-31-2009, 3:32 PM
if you already shoot the 40, why not a glock 23 or glock 27? it holds 10+1 and 9+1 respectively.

DerGlock
12-31-2009, 3:34 PM
if you already shoot the 40, why not a glock 23 or glock 27? it holds 10+1 and 9+1 respectively.

glock 36 is thinner than any other glock, which imho makes it the easiest to carry.

jermedic
12-31-2009, 3:37 PM

I would consider my hands to be medium to medium/small sized and the fact that the G36 is a single stack with a thinner grip makes it fit my hand great. I have never really owned a glock since they don't fit my hand as well as some other guns, but the single stack 36 fits great.

vta
12-31-2009, 3:37 PM
glock 36 is thinner than any other glock, which imho makes it the easiest to carry.

yes that is true but the difference is only 1/20 of an inch or 1.5 mm. maybe that is all it takes and since i've never shot a 36, i will defer to you.

jermedic
12-31-2009, 3:44 PM
vta, surprizingly that seemingly tiny ammount makes the gun feel a lot better in my hands. I thought the same thing too, not enough to notice, but I was able to shoot the 36 better than any of the other glock models I have tried.

jayhuh
12-31-2009, 6:55 PM
A G36 was the second Glock I owned many years ago. I liked the concept but when I laid a G36 on top of a 19/23 they are almost the same size except in thickness.

The reason I got rid of mine was becasue I got tired of getting my little finger pinched in the gap between the frame and magazine while shooting. My advise would be for you to grip the gun and look to see where your little finger falls. There is some frame flex when you shoot it and it will pinch your finger. My finger was centered in the gap and caused me problems.

Mine was 100% reliable, in almost 600 rounds, but I've read about others who have problems with theirs.

bigbob76
12-31-2009, 7:13 PM
yes that is true but the difference is only 1/20 of an inch or 1.5 mm. maybe that is all it takes and since i've never shot a 36, i will defer to you.

I said almost the same thing about the G30 and G36 and while technically correct the difference is significant in many regards. I couldn't believe somebody would forego the extra 4 rounds to get a pistol almost the same thickness. Then we got them both out. I was amazed. The slide on the G36 is a lot thinner which really surprised me. I think the slide on the G36 may be the same thickness as the slide on the 9mm G19! I believe the G30 owes it's popularity to the fact that it accepts the G21 mags while the G36 doesn't. I do have both the G30 and the G36. My G30 has the hump removed and all my other Glocks are in line for this surgery.

vta
12-31-2009, 7:52 PM
so sounds like it makes a difference in your hand but how about in a concealed holster? I can't imagine it makes much of a difference when carried.

my xd40 is thinner than the xd45 by about the same amount. The difference in the grip is very indistinguishable while shooting but it is there.