PDA

View Full Version : Magazine question

Carpenter 409
12-31-2009, 1:17 PM
My Colt is a pre ban SP1 and I've had all my mags since before any of the weapons bans when into affect.
My handguns all have full cap mags, all of them came like that when I bought them.
So whats the deal now I'm suppose to switch to 10 rounders for everything? Or, did the mags get grandfathered in with the weapons?

I never really gave much thought to my mag with all the laws changing.

I got my colt in 1985 and it was from the original owner, it was legally transferred in 1987 and registered as a assault weapon when all that stuff came up in 94. So my colt is 100% legal with the state and fed.

The way these laws are written it's kinda confusing, can someone ad some clarity.

Glock22Fan
12-31-2009, 1:21 PM
My Colt is a pre ban SP1 and I've had all my mags since before any of the weapons bans when into affect.
My handguns all have full cap mags, all of them came like that when I bought them.
So whats the deal now I'm suppose to switch to 10 rounders for everything? Or, did the mags get grandfathered in with the weapons?

I never really gave much thought to my mag with all the laws changing.

I got my colt in 1985 and it was from the original owner, it was legally transferred in 1987 and registered as a assault weapon when all that stuff came up in 94. So my colt is 100% legal with the state and fed.

The way these laws are written it's kinda confusing, can someone ad some clarity.

Possession of these mags is not illegal. Keep on using them. You may use them in the guns you also had from before the ban, and/or with new guns that also take the same magazines.

If you need more mags than you already own, the new ones you obtain will have to be ten rounds (or less)

bwiese
12-31-2009, 1:21 PM
You sound good-to-go.

Your rifle is a registered AW. It can have all evil features (except separaetly-prohibited grenade launchers, which you don't have). Check.

Your mags were acquired and/or possessed in CA before 1/1/2000, so they're legal to possess and use. Check.

Just remember that your reg'd AW must be transported locked & unloaded to specific authorized destinations (i.e., btwn range and home - don't travel with it 24/7 as a 'truck gun'). Transport for regular (non-AW) long guns is more relaxed.

Purple K
12-31-2009, 1:24 PM
Since you registered your AR as an assault weapon you are good to go with full capacity magazines. You must still follow all the AW rules as set forth by DOJ. As far as other non-AW weapons go, you're grandfathered in. I still use my 17-rd magazines in my Glock that I bought in 1986.

Carpenter 409
12-31-2009, 1:56 PM
Thanks guys I thought that was the case but reading all this stuff gets confusing.

So on my AR as long as my barrel is not shorter than 16" and not select fire I'm OK right?

Fjold
12-31-2009, 2:59 PM
Thanks guys I thought that was the case but reading all this stuff gets confusing.

So on my AR as long as my barrel is not shorter than 16" and not select fire I'm OK right?

Yeppers,

lorax3
12-31-2009, 3:01 PM

Overall length must be at least 26" if it is an already registered assault weapon.

rromeo
12-31-2009, 5:13 PM
In line with this question, if I possess 30 round AR mags, and have possessed them since the mid 90s, but no rifle to use them in. These are paperweights for me, or can I currently buy a rifle and use them?

TylerScott
12-31-2009, 5:53 PM
In line with this question, if I possess 30 round AR mags, and have possessed them since the mid 90s, but no rifle to use them in. These are paperweights for me, or can I currently buy a rifle and use them?

You can use them in a new rifle.

RideIcon
12-31-2009, 6:13 PM
your fine, you can use old high cap magazines in any firearm unless its got a fixed magazine