View Full Version : Most durable side saddle?

12-30-2009, 9:35 PM
I want to add a 6 shot side saddle for my 870. I was originally set on a Mesa Tactical side saddle but recently I was reading that over time the shells can loosen up and fall out??? Will all side saddles have this problem when kept loaded? Can you even keep them loaded for extended periods of time?

12-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Im confused because I hear many people who love the Mesa Tactical side saddle. Maybe the people who loaded them had the brass down and thats why it was sliding off.

01-01-2010, 10:13 AM
The Mesa ones are most likely the most rugged ones you'll find, but in the instructions they say that leaving shells in them for long periods will compress the "rubber" bar that holds the shells in. They go on to say that the rubber thing will recover if the shells are removed for for some period of time(guessing somewhere around a few hours).

If you really want to leave shells in all the time, you'd probably be better off loading them in brass up, so even if the holder weakens, they won't drop out.

Another option to explore would be to try one of the elastic loop versions made by 3gun Gear sold through Dillon. They might not last forever with shells in them, but possibly longer than most.

01-01-2010, 10:47 AM
I have the 3 Gun Gear sidesaddle and it's pretty sturdy. It's been kept loaded for over a year now w/o issues. I like that it velcros on too; makes it easy to remove when you want to run light.

01-01-2010, 10:49 AM
I have a Mesa 6 shot and I can see how over time the shells might not hold as well when the rubber strip begins to compress. The holder itself is very high quality, but as for the rubber piece that's just the nature of the beast. Can't be too snug otherwise you wouldn't be able to remove the shells easily. Just keep the shells upside down with brass facing up if you're worried about them falling out.

01-01-2010, 11:38 AM
+1 on the 3 Gun Gear side saddle. Have had mine for 6 years and use in for
3 gun competion. Never a problem. Just keek cleaning solvent off the receiver.