PDA

View Full Version : Is this Mac with strap a legal configuration?

bubbapug1
12-30-2009, 8:22 PM
There is a lot of controversy over the front strap on a Mac...is a MAC with a front strap legal and still a pistol?

pullnshoot25
12-30-2009, 8:28 PM
There is a lot of controversy over the front strap on a Mac...is this gun legal and still a pistol?[/QUOTE]

I'm just gonna say "Yes," it is. No different than a 1pt sling or a wrist lanyard, no?

bubbapug1
12-31-2009, 10:35 AM
I got my asnwer today. A strap is a strap, a hand guard is a hand guard. ATF considers the strap a strap, period.

Flopper
12-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Retracted.

dfletcher
12-31-2009, 11:22 AM
IIRC, the front strap is on a swivel. Could be vertical, could be horizontal. Does that change anything re "vertical grip" limitation? Is the restriction on vertical grip only or capability?

ajaffe
12-31-2009, 12:34 PM
It's not a handguard problem, it's a Vertical Forward Grip problem.

The potential problem with a forward one-point sling on a pistol is that it acts as a VFG, which would necessitate the registering of the pistol as an AOW.

If I were you, I'd look into this quite a bit more before I attached the strap.

Any supporting evidence for this one? Like written law or case findings?

I find this almost like the rubber band thing with the ATF and how they considered it to be a machine gun. Won't hold up in court though since a rubber band is a rubber band, as a strap is a strap.

bohoki
12-31-2009, 12:42 PM
well a rubber band can act as a "machine gun part" but i havent seen the rubber band actually used its the autosear string that really works

as to a strap being a "grip" sure you can grip it but is it a "grip" if you let go with your other hand will it still be pointed in the same direction? its kind of like how you cant push anything with a rope

a bipod can be gripped but is not a grip a buffer tube can be shouldered but is not a buttstock

Flopper
12-31-2009, 1:20 PM
Any supporting evidence for this one? Like written law or case findings?

Retracted.

Gryff
12-31-2009, 1:45 PM
Could the strap be used for a similar purpose as a VFG? Your answer might be right there.

CHS
12-31-2009, 2:01 PM
ATF considers it a sling. That's it. Does not make your MAC clone an AOW.

Flopper
12-31-2009, 2:19 PM
ATF considers it a sling. That's it. Does not make your MAC clone an AOW.

Any idea how CA would treat it for AWB purposes?