PDA

View Full Version : photo software

rjf
12-30-2009, 2:18 PM
Recommend photo software for home use. Cropping, lightening, redeye etc. want something easy to use.

2DoorImpala
12-30-2009, 2:41 PM
i use corel more than i use photoshop.

ocabj
12-30-2009, 2:56 PM
Adobe Lightroom is very popular right now, but it's catered more for a RAW workflow.

If you primarily shoot straight to JPEG in-camera, then you might want to check out Adobe Photoshop Elements. It's fairly inexpensive compared to Adobe Photoshop, but will do most any basic photo editing functions (including the ones you mentioned).

Call_me_Tom
12-30-2009, 3:06 PM
GIMP, & it's free!

Inoxmark
12-30-2009, 9:37 PM
Google Picasa for what you asked (Cropping, lightening, redeye etc). Photoshop Elements for more advanced editing.

NaughtyMonkey
12-30-2009, 11:41 PM
GIMP, & it's free!

+1 on GIMP!

domokun
12-31-2009, 12:03 AM
Adobe Lightroom for PC + Mac or Apple Aperture for Mac.

high_revs
12-31-2009, 1:13 AM
if you're just looking for simple tools, just do an online search for "free online photo editing." when i was in another country and didn't have a laptop, I edited some pictures from the hotel's free use desktops using free online software. yes, it was a little slow because it uploads it first (and hotel connection was slow) but you can download the edited version later.

might want to try that to see if that works for you and if it meets your needs before you plunk some cash. granted, buying and using local software is a heck of a lot faster to use, but if you have a high speed connection and the sizes are fairly OK to upload, try free first. figure out your capability needs and go from there.

till today, i'm using an old version of macromedia's fireworks for just my simple editing stuff.

rjf
01-03-2010, 9:13 PM
Thanks for for the replies.

bohoki
01-03-2010, 10:20 PM
it may sound crazy but when i want to do that i load my stuf on to photobucket and manip it there it has such easy functions crop, decorate it makes it fairly easy for me i just wish it would keep my favorite settings like fonts and transparent background for text

bigfrank
01-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Recommend photo software for home use. Cropping, lightening, redeye etc. want something easy to use.

I use Faststone Image Viewer allot, even though I use Photoshop. It's fasy and free and will do RAW files nativity if you need it. it should do all you need to do for basic and some advanced photo work.

You can get it here....

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm

Call_me_Tom
01-04-2010, 7:01 AM
I have Photoshop, Lightroom and GIMP. I'd save your money and use GIMP. It's just as powerful as Photoshop and there are tons of books, and websites that will teach you how to use it. My copy of Photoshop runs over $1k while GIMP is free yet just as good...it's a no brainer.

rjf
01-04-2010, 11:14 AM
I did not know they had GIMP for XP, thought it was linux only. The price is definately doable with no effect on the ammo budget.

QuarterBoreGunner
01-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Picnik (http://www.picnik.com/) - browser based, very simple for basic editing and totally free.

FastFinger
01-04-2010, 3:58 PM
I find Photoshop Elements to be a good all around editing program. Not overly complicated, yet strong enough to handle 95% of the tasks the full blown version does.

UBFRAGD
01-04-2010, 4:14 PM
PAINT.NET

A free, downscaled, Photoshop-like interface. Just a suggestion.

SmokinMr2
01-04-2010, 4:55 PM
http://www.irfanview.net/

ldivinag
01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
corel's PAINT SHOP PRO...