PDA

View Full Version : Private Sale of Long gun and DOJ

higel
12-30-2009, 9:48 AM
Hi All,
What are the laws in california concerning private party sales of shotguns and rifles? If I purchase a 12 gauge shotgun would I have to go through an FFL and submit the purchase to DOJ?
Thanks for the information.

Blue
12-30-2009, 9:50 AM
You need to go through an FFL unless the rifle/shotgun is 50 years old or older.

neonormal
01-18-2010, 1:57 PM
Can I sell a M1 Garand private party if both parties are legal to own guns and niether has any licenses?

Quiet
01-18-2010, 2:11 PM
Can I sell a M1 Garand private party if both parties are legal to own guns and niether has any licenses?

Yes, as long as both parties are also CA residents.

kemasa
01-18-2010, 2:13 PM

Yes, but it has to be done as a PPT transfer at a FFL, unless the firearm is old enough.

neonormal
01-18-2010, 2:26 PM
All USGI Garands are over 50 years old.

Both the seller and buyer are legal to own guns.

Can it it be sold directly between them without a FFL dealer if niether buyer or seller has any license?

Mssr. Eleganté
01-18-2010, 8:09 PM

Can it it be sold directly between them without a FFL dealer if niether buyer or seller has any license?

As mentioned above, yes, but only if both parties are residents of California.

CSDGuy
01-18-2010, 8:25 PM

If it's a USGI Garand, yes, it can be sold FTF, as long as both are legal to own firearms and both are California Residents. Non USGI Garands (Springfield Armory, INC) are not... those would have to go through an FFL. Here's a hint: if the Serial is less than 6.1 million... chances are VERY good that it's a USGI Garand, and is C&R Eligible.