PDA

View Full Version : Gun "Buyback" LASD gets owned buys fake ARs

tkxpm
12-30-2009, 9:57 AM
Take a look at this close up of "Old, rusty civilian versions of military assault rifles" per the LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gifts-for-guns-pictures,0,2242463.photogallery

No charging handles, rear sight, no selector/safety switch, no mag catch Magazines not right

These look like replicas made for the entertainment industry

Did the deputies know this and give the guy his $ anyway? Or are some LEOs so ignorant they did not catch this?

FastFinger
12-30-2009, 9:58 AM
Were they part of the 50+ "guns" one guy turned in?

a1c
12-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Maybe they don't really care if those are replicas, but just want to take off the street anything that could be used in a robbery.

Teletiger7
12-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Those look like props. How much did they pay for them? They got swindled.

Saym14
12-30-2009, 10:07 AM
I wonder how many gang bangers turn in stolen guns for money. no questions asked.

sideshowhr
12-30-2009, 10:10 AM
^even if they wanted money for them, i'm sure they could get a bit more than what LEA's are giving, especially if it comes in the form of a grocery store gift card

the caption on the front page says "One man turned in 58 weapons for several thousand dollars in supermarket gift cards."

Blue
12-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Those are Mitchell/Armi Jager AP74's, 22lr. I've got one.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f73/Blue84s10/Guns/008-2.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f73/Blue84s10/Guns/009.jpg

Auto-5
12-30-2009, 10:23 AM
AP74 on Auction Arms.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9503888&oh=216543

tkxpm
12-30-2009, 10:24 AM

You will have to post a closeup of the left side for comparison before I am convinced.

I think the deputies knew these were props but with a LA Times reporter it was easier to just take the fakes and hopefully get good press coverage, little did the LASD know that in the LA Times' ignorance they would post the photo

Scotty
12-30-2009, 10:27 AM
I still think one can pass off manual spring action airsoft rifles with the orange tip removed, which makes them illegal. You can get those for like $25 and get $100 gift cards out of them. I doubt some of them would even know it is a toy.

Cougar
12-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Those look like props. How much did they pay for them? They got swindled.

No they didn't.

It wasn't their money.

It was OPM (Other People's Money).

It was only tax payer dollars. No big deal...........:mad: :mad: :mad:

Josh
12-30-2009, 10:33 AM
those are rifles alright.

.22lr rifles

oaklander
12-30-2009, 10:34 AM
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-12/51342018.jpg

snobord99
12-30-2009, 10:36 AM

You will have to post a closeup of the left side for comparison before I am convinced.

I think the deputies knew these were props but with a LA Times reporter it was easier to just take the fakes and hopefully get good press coverage, little did the LASD know that in the LA Times' ignorance they would post the photo

I think you can actually see "Jager" written on the handles. Hard to tell from the bad quality photo, but it looks like it's there.

Blue
12-30-2009, 10:38 AM

Still not convinced? Look at the mag release on the bottom of the fake mag.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f73/Blue84s10/Guns/karlwork620-1-1-1.jpg

Scratch705
12-30-2009, 10:38 AM
that and in the pic you can clearly see the hole for the .22lr magazine to fit into at the left side of the cart.

Mitch
12-30-2009, 10:39 AM
I wonder how many gang bangers turn in stolen guns for money. no questions asked.

Probably not many. Hot guns are worth a lot more to them than $50 or $100, I would guess.

Mitch
12-30-2009, 10:42 AM
that and in the pic you can clearly see the hole for the .22lr magazine to fit into at the left side of the cart.

I think everyone is right.

They were cheap .22s that someone in the entertainment industry bought at one time. Why else would there be so many of them in once place, and so well used?

fullrearview
12-30-2009, 10:42 AM
^even if they wanted money for them, i'm sure they could get a bit more than what LEA's are giving, especially if it comes in the form of a grocery store gift card

the caption on the front page says "One man turned in 58 weapons for several thousand dollars in supermarket gift cards."

EHh....A throw away gun goes for about 50 bucks, per Sac county inmates.

tkxpm
12-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Look at these from:

Versus the "shopping cart" pic

No"jager" on the pistol grip

One mag base appears to be flat, one appears to have the mag well like the jager pic

I still say props, maybe made by the same Company, maybe blank firing, pretty beat up to be working firearms.

And where are the charging handles?

Blue
12-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Look at these from:

One mag base appears to be flat, one appears to have the mag well like the jager pic

I still say props, maybe made by the same Company, maybe blank firing, pretty beat up to be working firearms.

Supposedly the pistolgrips and handguards are interchangable with the real deal. I've never tried it, but looking at the condition I wouldn't be suprised if there's been a few parts broken and replaced over the years of being abused in the movie industry. I'd be very suprised if its anything else. I wish they'd part those guns out, the extractors are brittle and hard to come by.

bodger
12-30-2009, 11:10 AM
It was good enough for John Wayne in The Green Berets.....:D

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt10/dingoff/ad_maurader.gif

sideshowhr
12-30-2009, 11:10 AM
EHh....A throw away gun goes for about 50 bucks, per Sac county inmates.

don't doubt that, but i was referring to stolen firearms.

Kestryll
12-30-2009, 11:21 AM
So, anyone think that the L.A. Times will say anything about this?

I'm guessing the truth isn't important enough to get in the way of scaring the public with EBRs.

bigcalidave
12-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Don't newspapers still publish letters to the editor etc ? Retractions are common, right ? Maybe if some reporter can make a good story about the gun buybacks being a sham and 90% of the guns being .22s it would get attention. Thankfully they give out donated money for this crap. I think the companies who donate the gift cards should know how they are getting ripped off and their investment isn't getting dangerous criminal guns off the street.

bodger
12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Don't newspapers still publish letters to the editor etc ? Retractions are common, right ? Maybe if some reporter can make a good story about the gun buybacks being a sham and 90% of the guns being .22s it would get attention. Thankfully they give out donated money for this crap. I think the companies who donate the gift cards should know how they are getting ripped off and their investment isn't getting dangerous criminal guns off the street.

But, as has been discussed, these LEOs are on the clock and being paid with tax dollars. This is true, isn't it?

If so, we're also getting ripped off by having our tax dollars spent to fuel a program with questionable worth and results.

bigcalidave
12-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Excellent point. Thousands of dollars in taxpayer money are going to pay the salary of the LEOs involved in the buybacks, and they are doing nothing to enforce the law or stop crime.

tygerpaw
12-30-2009, 1:07 PM
They were probably props from the 1978 movie "Dawn of the Dead" that had two SWAT team members hiding out from zombies in a mall. I could tell even as a kid that those were not real M16's. You could see the magazine sticking out of the bottom of the fake magazine..... I tried to find pics, but failed.

Josh
12-30-2009, 1:08 PM
from what i know, prop guns are either the acutal gun adapted to fire blanks or just rubber dummies so that actors cant hurt them selves or others when running around. I have never seen a full size rifle substituted with a .22lr clone. They just dont look right and dont produce the same effect.

A .22lr prop makes almost no sense since the flash is almost non existent and the blanks are not readily available or can be loaded to produce the desired effect.

The only time they would use something like this is if they need ALOT of guns and had to pull everything out of the inventory to have everyone armed. Or low budget films that dont have the funds to make everything look right.

tygerpaw
12-30-2009, 4:53 PM
from what i know, prop guns are either the acutal gun adapted to fire blanks or just rubber dummies so that actors cant hurt them selves or others when running around. I have never seen a full size rifle substituted with a .22lr clone. They just dont look right and dont produce the same effect.

A .22lr prop makes almost no sense since the flash is almost non existent and the blanks are not readily available or can be loaded to produce the desired effect.

The only time they would use something like this is if they need ALOT of guns and had to pull everything out of the inventory to have everyone armed. Or low budget films that dont have the funds to make everything look right.

They did use the Jaeger in that movie. In fact, I saw on a bloopers forum http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077402/goofs when looking for pictures where someone says:

"Revealing mistakes: The "M-16s" carried by the police officers are actually .22 LR caliber training guns. The .22LR magazine can be seen inside the fake M-16 sized "magazine" several times during the truck depot scenes. Look closely at the bottom of the "magazine" on Peter's M-16 when he helps Roger after the zombies get in the second truck he is taking."

I wish I could find a clear picture, but I havent been able to.

AndrewMendez
12-30-2009, 5:23 PM
Man Oh Man, I love it!

Carlosa
12-30-2009, 5:51 PM
LASD you got punked!!
LMAO

Sirmikey22
12-30-2009, 5:54 PM
Take a look at this close up of "Old, rusty civilian versions of military assault rifles" per the LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gifts-for-guns-pictures,0,2242463.photogallery

No charging handles, rear sight, no selector/safety switch, no mag catch Magazines not right

These look like replicas made for the entertainment industry

Did the deputies know this and give the guy his $ anyway? Or are some LEOs so ignorant they did not catch this?

I don't think they care if its a replica. It still can take a life.

FastFinger
12-30-2009, 6:19 PM
I don't think they care if its a replica. It still can take a life.

So can a soup spoon, can I turn mine in for some gift certificates? Or maybe some guv'mint cheese?

dfletcher
12-30-2009, 6:55 PM
I don't know who's right, but my first thought was they were turned in by extras from "Escape From the Planet of the Apes".

YoungGun2
12-30-2009, 7:27 PM
To funny

CCWFacts
12-30-2009, 8:37 PM
I think everyone is right.

They were cheap .22s that someone in the entertainment industry bought at one time. Why else would there be so many of them in once place, and so well used?

Clearly. Some prop company bought a bunch of them because they're cheap, they shoot cheap ammo, they have no recoil and they're not too loud. Now they're worn out and look old and they have no resale value, so they did the smart thing and got the city to grossly overpay for worthless, worn-out junk that was collecting dust in a prop warehouse somewhere.

SteveH
12-30-2009, 8:39 PM
I doubt the organizers care that they were .22's. AW bans are all about appearance anway.

Vtec44
12-30-2009, 8:45 PM
I doubt the organizers care that they were .22's. AW bans are all about appearance anway.

Yep, they make good photo opps!

RaceDay
12-30-2009, 9:37 PM
Our tax dollars at work. Leave it to our LEOs to trade good money for worthless trash.

Syntax Error
12-30-2009, 10:08 PM

http://pictures.auctionarms.com/6763153919/9503888/img_0060.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg?aa=20091230220732

Taken from the previously posted link, assuming the model is identical.

Rob454
12-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Ok so what are those .22 rifles worth? say 75$? Perosnally I would of sold them

Blue
12-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Ok so what are those .22 rifles worth? say 75$? Perosnally I would of sold them

I've seen them sell as high as $500 in the past, I think the current market for one in good shape is something like $2-300. The magazines alone have gone for $75 each.

BananaTyrant
12-31-2009, 2:22 AM
Look at these from:

Actually, if(firefox users at least) you right click on the image, view image, then hold control and hit the + button on the num pad till it stops getting bigger you can see what kind of looks like 1 - 2 - 3 on the front left one's pistol grip, and squiggly lines on the right one. If you compare them to the one on the gun auction site, you'll see that between the two you can just barely make out Jager. Not sure how to do it on IE(which I hope none of you are using).

jamespres2001
12-31-2009, 8:44 AM
It was good enough for John Wayne in The Green Berets.....:D

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt10/dingoff/ad_maurader.gif

I had one of those!

akguy999
12-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Since the LAT is not predisposed to admit errors when harranging gun owners, perhaps a member of the CGF or representative thereof ought to take out advertising space to inform the public of both the handover of non-EBRs and the fact that LAT have perpetuated a lie.

Marxman
12-31-2009, 7:42 PM
Under the Freedom of Information Act can't someone (in theory) requisition that the police department confirm chambering and manufacturer/year - at least on paper? That would most definitely clear up weather they were props or not with the possible added benefit of debunking that they were 'assault weapons.' I think we deserve to know!

bodger
12-31-2009, 8:36 PM
I had one of those!

So did my brother. They go for top dollar now if they are in good condition.
Hence the slang term "Mattel" for the M16 amongst some troops in Vietnam.

There is an urban legend that Mattel actually made the stocks for the M16, but it's untrue.

You can see a lot of them in The Green Berets. Pretty comical to watch now, The Duke dramatically breaking a toy rifle against a tree.

I'd love to take one to a gun buyback and have them accept it. Whilst being videotaped. :D

Vinz
12-31-2009, 9:04 PM
I don't know, them look like ak47 assult machine guns to me.

see for yourself
http://blog.robballen.com/images/saam/journalistguide.jpg

vinz