View Full Version : Jumping The Shark / Video Games

CDMichel
12-30-2009, 9:53 AM
Gun sales boom in '09: Safety, new reg fears prompt purchase surge
San Bernardino County Sun (CA)

http://www.sbsun.com/ci_14083460

December 29, 2009
Byline: Michael J. Sorba

While other industries have suffered massive losses during recession ravaged 2009, the firearms business seems to have had one of its best years in recent memory.

. . .
Garcia, whose shop specializes in military style weapons, said another unique factor has boosted sales: video games. Twenty somethings become enamored with the high powered weapons in popular games like Call of Duty and Socom and then buy the real life versions, he said.

"I think (video games) help sales," Garcia said. "They definitely haven't hurt. "A lot of young guys know these rifles from seeing it on the game."

Kirschner says general fears that crime goes up when the economy tanks may also have spoked some into buying their first gun, he said. In late 2008, media reports of huge rounds of layoffs and government bailouts of banks began circulating in the public's psyche, which may have fueled fears of civil unrest, Kirschner said.

-----

As father of 10 and 13 year old boys, I can attest to the truth of this.
They play Modern Warfare all the time, and know the names of the guns from the experience.

Flopper
12-30-2009, 10:38 AM
There's definitely a lot of truth to this.

I didn't know what a PTRS-41 was until I played World at War, and I still want one. Too bad they sell for about $50k!!!

bwiese
12-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Yep, this is a demographic war.

I believe that the attacks on AWs and firearms with .mil-style cosmetics are in part an attack on getting the younger generation into shooting.

Most young'uns probably don't care about single-action revolvers or lever-action rifles or even plain bolt guns - esp with today's teens and twentysomethings owning just about every conceivable high-tech device. They expect to see similar tech advancements in any guns they're gonna buy too.

I know that when I was in my 20s, I wanted a Glock or other "wondernine" pistol (I did grow up shooting a Ruger Bearcat 22 in NV desert). It wasn't til a decade or more after that I began appreciating revolvers (and esp single-action revolvers) even though I had a stack of ARs and autoloaders. Things change - today, I'm far more likely to buy a nice revolver than a new Sig.

Mitch
12-30-2009, 11:24 AM
That the Desert Eagle is even being purchased at all must be 100% attributable to video games.

Tyrius
12-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Absolutely true. As a college-age male, my heart swelled with pride when one of my friends who isn't into guns was able to identify the SCAR in Left 4 Dead 2 because he'd used it in the campaign of Modern Warfare 2.

Nose Nuggets
12-30-2009, 12:55 PM
i dont know. i dont see a huge difference between someone who enjoys action movies to one who plays video games. except maybe they know their names, because its displayed on the screen. but similarly, pretty much anyone can ID an AK-47.

nickvig
12-30-2009, 1:04 PM
That the Desert Eagle is even being purchased at all must be 100% attributable to video games.

I think I can add a bit to that. Just out of H.S. (1996 for me) all my buddies talked about the DE since it was one of the few guns available in .50AE at the time. Also, there were no 'Modern Warfare' games that advanced yet so I think the fascination was (is) with the caliber, not the weapon itself. If Glock, Sig, HK, etc. were to make a .50AE semi-auto handgun, the same fascination would be there. Obviously, the DE, being one of the main handguns in MW/MW2 doesn't hurt sales of that gun. All IMO, of course.

i dont know. i dont see a huge difference between someone who enjoys action movies to one who plays video games. except maybe they know their names, because its displayed on the screen. but similarly, pretty much anyone can ID an AK-47.

A great scene from Inside Man is when one of the robbers says, "Anyone who's seen a decent action movie knows what an AK-47 is," or something like that. Killer line.

CCWFacts
12-30-2009, 3:13 PM
Still waiting for my BFG-9000!

Mitch
12-30-2009, 4:17 PM
I think I can add a bit to that. Just out of H.S. (1996 for me) all my buddies talked about the DE since it was one of the few guns available in .50AE at the time. Also, there were no 'Modern Warfare' games that advanced yet so I think the fascination was (is) with the caliber, not the weapon itself. If Glock, Sig, HK, etc. were to make a .50AE semi-auto handgun, the same fascination would be there.

Is there any similar fascination with Smith & Wesson's far more powerful .500 Magnum?

nickvig
12-30-2009, 4:27 PM
Is there any similar fascination with Smith & Wesson's far more powerful .500 Magnum?

Absolutely. A couple of buddies went with me to watch while some of us shot skeet at Oaktree one day. They wandered over to the pistol range and what did they rent? A S&W 500 Magnum. The gal behind the counter was real nice. She told them, "Just count the bullets, it's $3 each when you come back" ....I think...

No one could even hit the paper target at 21 feet. :43:

yellowfin
12-30-2009, 6:23 PM
This is primarily true in areas with no other pro gun exposure influences. In other states with more rural/"sporting" traditions it's the other way around, though maybe catching up somewhat. I'll find out when I start teaching hunter education this year. I'll have a few guns of both genres for the kiddies and newcomers to see, and am incorporating the "Know what this Mauser and this AK have in common?" speech into the routine. :D

wash
12-30-2009, 7:06 PM
And Dirty Harry made the previous generation want an S&W .44 Magnum.

I'm some kind of tweener, Dirty Harry makes me want an Auto-Mag in .44AMP.

Then again, General Ripper makes me want a 1919A4 in a golf club bag so who knows?

Most of the other stuff I want because it will scare the crap out of Dianne Feinstein even though it's 100% legal.