PDA

View Full Version : New article on microstamping


Lazer
12-29-2009, 11:40 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/2427189.html

Electricboy
12-29-2009, 11:58 PM
I think its a regurgitated article with a new date.

hoffmang
12-30-2009, 8:23 AM
Lizotte is out claiming that he'll release his patent. This should get interesting until Peņa v. Cid (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Pena_v_Cid) shows the whole underlying scheme to be unconstitutional.

It's also not at all clear to me that Lizotte's patent is the only one in the field - especially since Fujitsu bought the core patent in the first place.

-Gene

Bugei
12-30-2009, 9:13 AM
Lizotte is out claiming that he'll release his patent. This should get interesting until Peņa v. Cid (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Pena_v_Cid) shows the whole underlying scheme to be unconstitutional.

It's also not at all clear to me that Lizotte's patent is the only one in the field - especially since Fujitsu bought the core patent in the first place.

-Gene

Lizotte is listed in the article as "co-inventor". I wonder what his fellow co-inventor thinks about giving up all the potential profits.

kf6tac
12-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Lizotte is listed in the article as "co-inventor". I wonder what his fellow co-inventor thinks about giving up all the potential profits.

I think as a general rule, each co-inventor can grant licenses to the patent without the other co-inventors' consent. I don't know if licensing alone is enough to satisfy the statutory criteria, though.

bigcalidave
12-30-2009, 11:09 AM
If he gives up his patent (stupid ) what else has to happen before no new models make the list ? Or is that all, with no functional way to implement the idea, nothing new ever Hits the roster ? Not like we have anything new now.

bwiese
12-30-2009, 11:14 AM
The law states available technology must be "unencumbered" by patent.

1. Can you void your own patent? I'm not clear on that. Patents are issued by USPTO, not you.

2. I'm not sure Lizotte's patent isn't already voided by 'prior art' & other patents in the semiconductor and micromachining industries. We can and will identify other interfering, encumbring technology.

3. The single-shot exemption is still there ;)

kf6tac
12-30-2009, 11:18 AM
The law states available technology must be "unencumbered" by patent.

1. Can you void your own patent? I'm not clear on that. Patents are issued by USPTO, not you.

I suppose if he really wanted to void his own patent(s), he could get someone else to file for a declaratory judgment of invalidity and then just not answer the complaint.

Nodda Duma
12-30-2009, 11:29 AM
If he gave up his patent rights, couldn't any old Joe file for the patent on the microstamping..

-Jason

kf6tac
12-30-2009, 11:30 AM
If he gave up his patent rights, couldn't any old Joe file for the patent on the microstamping..

-Jason

No, because the person who files for the patent still has to be the one who actually invented the thing.

Shane916
12-30-2009, 1:25 PM
There must be some other influence or motive for him giving up his patent.

I don't understand his logic as he claims to be a 2A supporter yet is essentially enabling the 2A to be further hammered by the state.

IrishPirate
12-30-2009, 1:38 PM
i thought part of the law also said that at least 2 manufacturers need to be willing and able to implement the technology into their guns and have them available for sale in PRK.

the problems i see: criminals are going to either get new firing pins, file down the existing ones, or be using a stolen gun not registered to them anyways so they wont care. like the a-hole said, 99% of gun owners don't commit felonys.....well i'm willing to bet that 99% of the remaining 1% don't use traceable guns either. All it will take is one crafty lawyer to say that just because the casings were at the scene doesn't proove they held the bullets that killed the person. if the bullets can't be matched to the casing then there is no proof the casing, and therefore the gun, had anything to do with it. they could have been dropped to mislead the cops.....something you know will happen with any smart criminals!

shutin
12-30-2009, 2:56 PM
DO we have a sticky article on microstamping? I can't find one and we really need it since Jan 1 is going to have people freaking out thinking they won't be able to buy gen 4 glocks and whatnot.

Need something that outlines the current status of the law and it's enforcement/legality

rambo
12-30-2009, 7:28 PM
there was an article on my local news that it is going into effect.... i missed it but my friend called all freaked out. I told him i thought it was not going to happen .I hope I am right!

bigcalidave
12-30-2009, 8:04 PM
At least tell people not to freak out because everything currently on the roster will STILL be on the roster. It's not like they have succeeded in banning us from purchasing handguns yet... :)