PDA

View Full Version : Oh no!! Check out these confiscated pistols

D.R.E.
12-29-2009, 11:03 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126213528444809699.html?mod=article-outset-box

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/NA-BD093_GANGS4_DV_20091229200241.jpg

Perhaps my eyes are getting old, but these confiscated colts look pretty nice...

KUJO
12-29-2009, 11:20 PM
I don't know. But at the bottom of the picture there looks to be a AK-PAR, based on the rear sight on the cover, the side mount, and the wood.

Colt-45
12-30-2009, 2:02 AM
Why is it that gangsters and convenience store robbers like revolver 38 specials so much? Time and time again I see the same type of gun confiscated.

D.R.E.
12-30-2009, 2:03 AM
I thought the colts were .357s (but my eyes suck these days).

Mulay El Raisuli
12-30-2009, 5:02 AM
Why is it that gangsters and convenience store robbers like revolver 38 specials so much? Time and time again I see the same type of gun confiscated.

What's wrong with a .38?

The Raisuli

dark45
12-30-2009, 5:59 AM
What's wrong with a .38?

The Raisuli

i think he was implying its a shame because they are nice and we the legal responsible ones should have them.

wouldn't that be awsome like adopting animals we could adopt these horible unwanted guns? haha in a better world i guess....

SoCalDep
12-30-2009, 7:39 AM
i think he was implying its a shame because they are nice and we the legal responsible ones should have them.

wouldn't that be awsome like adopting animals we could adopt these horible unwanted guns? haha in a better world i guess....

We probably did at one time before they were stolen. The one's that can be run/owners verified through stolen reports/reg will probably eventually be returned (or at least attempted to return)....in significantly worse condition than their owner last saw them.

GrizzlyGuy
12-30-2009, 8:23 AM

My guess is that smart criminals prefer revolvers since shell casings don't get left at the scene (post-crime forensics is then harder).

indetrucks
12-30-2009, 8:34 AM
^^ thats what I was thinking

Or they really like cowboy style shootouts! haha

Aegis
12-30-2009, 8:39 AM
The deputy on the right looks like he is about to draw down on someone.

Crazed_SS
12-30-2009, 8:46 AM

They're probably old police guns that were sold off years ago when LE started transitioning to 9mm semi-autos.

zinfull
12-30-2009, 9:15 AM
The grips on the S&W are worth a $200+ by them self. Nice "Coke Bottles"

jerry

BigDogatPlay
12-30-2009, 9:29 AM
From the article linked in the OP....

Gangs that were once bloody rivals now are cooperating to wring profits from the sale of illegal drugs and weapons, law-enforcement officials and gang experts say. In some cases, gangs that investigators believed to be sworn enemies share neighborhoods and strike business deals. The collaboration even crosses racial lines, remarkable in a gang world where racial divisions are sharp and clashes are often racially motivated.

"You see African-Americans dealing with Hispanics on obtaining narcotics and weapons. We're seeing Hispanic gang members involved with the Eastern European criminal figures," said Robert W. Clark, acting special agent in charge of the criminal division of the Los Angeles field office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. "Where they see opportunities to collaborate, they do."

Ruh-roh.....

Mitch
12-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Why is it that gangsters and convenience store robbers like revolver 38 specials so much?

Maybe they have more good taste in firearms than is normally assumed. Smith & Wesson Model 10 is one of my favorite handguns.

jasilva
12-30-2009, 11:09 AM
From the article linked in the OP....

Gangs that were once bloody rivals now are cooperating to wring profits from the sale of illegal drugs and weapons, law-enforcement officials and gang experts say. In some cases, gangs that investigators believed to be sworn enemies share neighborhoods and strike business deals. The collaboration even crosses racial lines, remarkable in a gang world where racial divisions are sharp and clashes are often racially motivated.

"You see African-Americans dealing with Hispanics on obtaining narcotics and weapons. We're seeing Hispanic gang members involved with the Eastern European criminal figures," said Robert W. Clark, acting special agent in charge of the criminal division of the Los Angeles field office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. "Where they see opportunities to collaborate, they do."

Ruh-roh.....

Exactly, all that crap in the article and the writer hardly touched on the main point. If more gangs figure this out we the law abiding are going to see a huge uptick in crimes against us. Right now they spend as much if not more time fighting each other than they do committing crimes against society at large.

Mulay El Raisuli
12-31-2009, 4:31 AM

Oh. Looking at it again, I think you're right.

I, for one, would be happy to give some of those orphans a good home. :)

The Raisuli

Mulay El Raisuli
12-31-2009, 4:41 AM
Exactly, all that crap in the article and the writer hardly touched on the main point. If more gangs figure this out we the law abiding are going to see a huge uptick in crimes against us. Right now they spend as much if not more time fighting each other than they do committing crimes against society at large.

I think not. It isn't a matter of them having a set amount of violence on their agendas. They don't sit around saying "OK, we're going to do 30 shootings this month & if we don't shoot at our competition, we'll shoot members of the general public." Violence is goal oriented. I don't believe in the goal, but I don't see them doing so just for the sake of doing so. If they're not shooting their competition, they won't be shooting at all. This is a good thing.

That their greater cooperation will result in greater profits for the cartels is a bad thing though.

The Raisuli

jamespres2001
12-31-2009, 8:24 AM
1) Revolvers are cheap
2) How will micro-printing solve crimes when the Bad guys use revolvers, Gov Arnold?:mad:

BigDogatPlay
12-31-2009, 8:44 AM
I think not. It isn't a matter of them having a set amount of violence on their agendas. They don't sit around saying "OK, we're going to do 30 shootings this month & if we don't shoot at our competition, we'll shoot members of the general public." Violence is goal oriented. I don't believe in the goal, but I don't see them doing so just for the sake of doing so. If they're not shooting their competition, they won't be shooting at all. This is a good thing.

For what it's worth I think the straight of it falls in between.

That they will not be shooting at each other does not necessarily equate to them simply shooting more at us. I agree with you on that.

However, if they continue to work cooperatively and increase their base of power then at some point down the road they are going to overwhelm law enforcement as we can see clearly in Mexico now. Some might argue that in some places here they already have. At the point that law enforcement is overwhelmed is where the picture starts to get decidedly scary for the average citizen.

That was my point.

D.R.E.
12-31-2009, 10:37 AM
The grips on the S&W are worth a $200+ by them self. Nice "Coke Bottles"

jerry

Ugh. God it really sucks that these were probably destroyed.

davescz
12-31-2009, 11:13 AM

Revolvers are extremely reliable, dont jam like a semiauto can. Also no spent shells are ejected at the crime scene from a revolver, unlike a semiauto. added plus for criminal i guess.
Soon coming to your state: "revolvers will be classified as "criminals guns" and henceforth be restricted, for your own safety of course"!! :( :(

bubbapug1
12-31-2009, 11:28 AM
They all look nice!

So tell me, whats more criminal? Robbing a drug dealer or liquor store, or selling insurance and loans you can't cover or collect on and than sticking the bill to the tax payers?

We are focusing on the wrong individuals....$2,000,000,000,000.00 in theft and no one has gone to jail?? Seems odd to me...two trillion could buy a lot of gun safes.

detcord
12-31-2009, 12:22 PM
the main reason they have a lot of revolvers is because thats what the old folks they rob have in a shoebox in the closet. youll also notice lots of crappy offbrand small caliber autos which jam more than anything. IMO, to the criminal, any gun is as good as another

Mulay El Raisuli
01-01-2010, 1:37 PM
For what it's worth I think the straight of it falls in between.

That they will not be shooting at each other does not necessarily equate to them simply shooting more at us. I agree with you on that.

However, if they continue to work cooperatively and increase their base of power then at some point down the road they are going to overwhelm law enforcement as we can see clearly in Mexico now. Some might argue that in some places here they already have. At the point that law enforcement is overwhelmed is where the picture starts to get decidedly scary for the average citizen.

That was my point.

Ah. I see I didn't think as far ahead as you.

The trick then is to make it irrelevant if the cops are "overwhelmed." IE, as long as Walter & Winnifred Whitebread have the means to do Job#1, we'll be OK.

The Raisuli

jasilva
01-01-2010, 2:48 PM

That their greater cooperation will result in greater profits for the cartels is a bad thing though.

The Raisuli

Big Dog answered you first but that was my point. Organized crime is always more efficient than the unorganized individual criminal/crime.

Army
01-01-2010, 3:29 PM
I see a Ruger flat-top, and possibly a 1911 (I can't see any trigger scallops)

Vinz
01-01-2010, 9:52 PM
quote from article "They were talking. There was hugging and high-fiving. It was unbelievable," Mr. Lyons said. He has heard a refrain from gang members: Red (the Bloods) and blue (the Crips) make green (money)".

Happy cause now that can use the cash to get in on the Draco pistol group buy.
vinz