View Full Version : Military on PCS orders residency questions

12-29-2009, 1:01 PM
I know this has been covered before (I think), but the search function is horrible so I'm just gonna ask again. I have a chance to buy a non-rostered pistol from a guy in the military. He has not changed his drivers license to California and I don't think he plans to. If he has not registered this pistol with the DOJ will he be able to without getting a Cali D/L? I assume I can't buy it unless he has a cali d/l or will military orders work? Residency

12-29-2009, 1:12 PM
that is an interesting question.

I know that .mil with PCS orders can purchase firearms in CA as if they are a CA-resident. Now, the question is, will the DROS system accept an out-of-state ID from a military member as the seller in a PPT transfer?

If he is considered a CA-resident for purchases, shouldn't he be considered a CA-resident for sales?

12-29-2009, 5:16 PM
I am an out of state resident here on military orders and retain my state's driver's license. I have sold 3 firearms, 2 of them pistols, through PPT. One of the pistols was not registered as I sold it within the original importation window. I have also registered a pistol through the DOJ that I imported without a problem.

All the military guy has to do is bring his military ID and a copy of his Original PCS Orders. Under the DL # portion of the form he has to place his SSN as that is the military ID number.