PDA

View Full Version : Non-roster firearm purchase

Bajaracer
12-29-2009, 12:17 PM
I plan to purchase a non-CA roster firearm. The seller isnt not a LEO but purchased the firearm from a LEO at one point.

Is there a way to protect myself prior to giving the seller the money for the firearm and finding out later that this firearm was purchased out if state orginally?

I apologize for the newbie question.

Unit74
12-29-2009, 12:31 PM
It can be PPTed face to face only. If the gun is regged to the current owner in Cali you won't have a prob. If the current owner imported it it will be a mess.

Bajaracer
12-29-2009, 12:42 PM
If the gun is regged to the current owner in Cali you won't have a prob.

No way to verify that prior to purchase? i know i know you just gotta trust them hahaha

Also PPT are not subject to the 30 days new purchase waiting period? my last DROS was on 12/6/09

ke6guj
12-29-2009, 12:53 PM
As long as the firearm is not stolen, CADOJ doesn't really seem to care how the owner acquired it. When it is PPT'ed to the purchaser, CADOJ gets to update the records to show the current status and that seems to be the most important part.

mdouglas1980
12-29-2009, 12:59 PM
I just did a PPT with a fellow calguner and it was a non-roster handgun. No prob what-so-ever with the transaction. I believe that PPT is exempt from the 30 day rule as well.

frankym
12-29-2009, 1:32 PM
PPT is exempt from 30 day rule. As poster said above, DOJ mainly cares that the gun is not stolen and that you are eligible to possess it.