PDA

View Full Version : Post ban rifle upgrade ???????

Roboshred
12-09-2005, 7:27 PM
I have a Bushmaster dissipator (registered) that I'd like
to turn into a M-4 with all the goop. Is this legal to do since the
assault weapons ban expired and my gun is registered as a (AW)?
The same goes for my Maadi with the crappy thumbhole? I'd
really like to put a pistol grip on it.Those in the know give me a go.

Charliegone
12-09-2005, 8:57 PM
For the ar there is no problem, since mostly all the parts are made here.:D

For the maadi, since it is a post ban, I believe you have to comply with the 10parts rule.

Roboshred
12-11-2005, 4:43 PM
BTT
anyone else care to address this?

PanzerAce
12-11-2005, 5:08 PM
I second Charlie's post. If it is a registered AW, then you can basically do anything you want, except transfer to someone else in CA. as for the maadi, if it is covered by the non sporting features deal then you have to play 10 part musical chairs.

bwiese
12-11-2005, 6:58 PM
Yes you can.

You are mixing terms here. The 'preban' and 'postban' terms refer to the now-expired ("sunset") in 2004 Federal "Crime Bill" assault weapons ban. The biggest issues there were no flash hiders and bayonet lugs and folding stocks on postban rifles if they had pistol grips. There is no more - zero, zip, nada - federal definition, law, etc. concerning assault weapons. (There are some restrictions requiring certain number of domestic parts on non-sporting imported guns - the "10 or less" sec. 922(r) game - but that is not really AW-specific.

This is entirely separate from California assault weapons law.

If your gun is registered to you as an Assault Weapon in CA, there is no minimum or maximum amount of 'evilness' in the law. Once an AW, it can have everythng "evil" on it - just don't violate NFA law (short barrel, full auto, etc.) etc.

artherd
12-11-2005, 7:01 PM
You may add any evil features you want to ANY registered Assault Weapon.
(except you must still obey federal law. 16" bbl minimum, and minimum OAL of 26" instead of california's 30")