PDA

View Full Version : Bloomberg / MAIG Report on Proposed Gun Laws

CDMichel
12-28-2009, 4:57 PM
CALGUNLAWS.COM OBTAINS BLOOMBERG'S CONFIDENTIAL GUN LAWS AGENDA

www.Calgunlaws.com has obtained the Mayors Against Illegal Guns “Blueprint For Federal Action on Illegal Guns” through a FOIA request to the White House.

Bloomberg’s group had previously refused to disclose the report.

It's an interesting read.

Sorry but you will have to register with www.calgunlaws.com to get access to this one. I need to see who accesses the report. The upsside is that by registering you can opt to get the alerts emailed to you whenever we post an article.

wildhawker
12-28-2009, 6:34 PM
Thanks Chuck, this will go into tonight's read list.

trashman
12-28-2009, 7:04 PM
Good work Chuck -- reading it now. The thing that stands out to me is the breadth and depth of the recommendations; it reminds me of a typical legislative bargaining strategy: ask for a zillion different items - some arguably sensible (electronic verification of ID by NICS), and some innocuous-sounding but industry-wrecking ("hidden" unalterable second serial numbers) and trade away the trivial items in favor of those with the longer-term implications.

The whole brief sidesteps, of course, the salient point that more people die in car accidents than by gun violence...

In any case EVERYBODY on this board ought to download and read this -- and get familiar with the "whys" and "why nots" of the various recommendations.

--Neill

--Neill

Kid Stanislaus
12-28-2009, 8:12 PM
I couldn't find anything pertaining to Mayor Bloomberg.

yellowfin
12-28-2009, 8:24 PM
I couldn't find anything pertaining to Mayor Bloomberg.He writes, thinks up, or funds the thinkers who think up all this stuff.

lazyworm
12-28-2009, 8:30 PM
I couldn't find anything pertaining to Mayor Bloomberg.

He co-founded and runs this group. http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/about/history.shtml

obeygiant
12-28-2009, 8:41 PM
Great work Chuck! Downloaded and added to the reading list for tomorrow.

cbn620
12-28-2009, 8:53 PM
I didn't realize I'd never been registered on your site up till now. Anyways, I'm reading it tonight. God bless FOIA!

anthonyca
12-28-2009, 8:56 PM
ATF wants $103 million budget increase. I wonder how many people
are on camera, or will be, and are being data mined through that walmart point of sale recording program for those who make multiple purchases of EBRs. Not a walmart shopper, do they sell EBRs? Many people on this site must have set alarm bells ringing. :TFH:

hoffmang
12-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Excellent work Chuck. Snowflakes in Hell has a copy posted as well: http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2009/12/28/bloombergs-blueprint/

Digging through the references I noticed a very interesting GAO report on terror watch lists and NICS that I'll probably start a separate thread on.

-Gene

odysseus
12-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Now that is something for all of us to stir on.

Maestro Pistolero
12-29-2009, 1:04 AM
Interesting that at one point an AP story is cited as a "reference". :rolleyes:

AndrewMendez
12-29-2009, 1:21 AM
More people need to read this, I am only about 10 pages in right now. A lot of stuff proposed is already in California. One of the items is perform a Background check for Employees, I can not think of anywhere besides a fast food place, that does not already require that.

AndrewMendez
12-29-2009, 1:29 AM
My personal Favorite:

Page 6, Policing Problematic Gun Shows
14. Conduct comprehensive residency checks on buyers at gun shows known to be major sources of illegal guns.

They just can not let this "gun show loop hole" go can they. Can you imagine how much this will cost tax payers, they will make every single gun show a Major Source of illegal guns" as an excuse to do residency checks. What the hell does that entail?? All for less then 1% of all guns used in crimes, where purchased at Gun Shows. This is a poor scam to scare people away from going to gun shows.

trashman
12-29-2009, 7:16 AM
They just can not let this "gun show loop hole" go can they. Can you imagine how much this will cost tax payers, they will make every single gun show a Major Source of illegal guns" as an excuse to do residency checks. What the hell does that entail?? All for less then 1% of all guns used in crimes, where purchased at Gun Shows. This is a poor scam to scare people away from going to gun shows.

It's not even a scam -- it's a very calculated effort to chill the gun culture, and not just at gun shows -- it would prohibit paperless person-to-person (non-FFL) transfers in states that currently allow it.

--Neill

VegasND
12-29-2009, 8:00 AM
Downloaded; now I'll make certain to find time to read it.
Thanks.

wash
12-29-2009, 8:52 AM
I bet this will bite Walmart in the *** if they go through with that backround check for gun store employees. The anti's will eventually want all stores selling guns to be prohibited from employing people who fail a NICS.

From the 15 pages I've read it sounds like about 5% ideas that might reduce crime, 65% ideas that won't reduce crime at all because they can't really be enforced and 30% ideas strictly designed to harass lawfull gun owners and allmost all of it is a big invasion of privacy.