PDA

View Full Version : Federal gun laws and the 2A?

nicki
12-28-2009, 12:04 PM
It is great that Calguns/SAF/NRA and others are planning on going house cleaning on state gun laws post incorporation.

My question is are lawsuits by the "right people" somewhat ready to go to challenge Federal gun laws so that we get good cases?

Some Federal laws I would like to see gone are the following.

Parts of the GCA1968

Provisions relating to "Sporting Arms".

922 r You can build a EBR with American parts, but not foreign?

Restriction that you can only buy guns in your state of residence. We have a national insta check, if we have a RKBA, why can't we buy guns while we are traveling as long as we pass our background checks?

Restrictions on interstate transport of personal NFA arms. Right now if you are traveling from one state to another you have to get pre approval from the BATF before you can transport your NFA arm even though you may be just traveling, let's say going on a vacation.

NFA status on SBS and SBR. I am just curious as to what is magic about 18 inches for shotguns and 16 inches for rifles.

The current M4 has a 14.5 inch barrel and many police departments use shotguns with 14 inch barrels.

Also what is magic about 26 inch overall length and what is the big deal if a pistol has a stock.

And why we are at it, why can't a AR be trully convertable from pistol to rifle back to pistol?

Nicki

CHS
12-28-2009, 5:21 PM
There's already a little-known and little-publicized case that will allow us to buy firearms in ANY state as long as we pass the background check :)

loather
12-28-2009, 5:32 PM
There's already a little-known and little-publicized case that will allow us to buy firearms in ANY state as long as we pass the background check :)

Oh? Sorry to thread-jack, but please do tell! :)

CHS
12-28-2009, 6:32 PM
Oh? Sorry to thread-jack, but please do tell! :)

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Hodgkins_v._Holder

hoffmang
12-29-2009, 12:23 AM
There are certainly interesting Federal challenges in the future, but we can lay a ton of import bedrock/groundwork by going after state laws first. Trust that suppressors and SBRs are on the radar.

-Gene

Bowser
12-29-2009, 12:36 AM
There are certainly interesting Federal challenges in the future, but we can lay a ton of import bedrock/groundwork by going after state laws first. Trust that suppressors and SBRs are on the radar.

-Gene

I'm weak so a shorter gun, thus making lighter, is ideal for me. My hearing also sucks, so a suppressor would help in aiding the preservation of it. ;)

cdtx2001
12-29-2009, 8:22 AM

-Gene

Great to hear.

Ground squirrels run after you shoot one of their buddies, hard to clear a field of a lot of them in short time if they keep running away. Gotta keep cows from breaking their legs in squirrel burrows some how.

CHS
12-29-2009, 9:52 AM
I'm weak so a shorter gun, thus making lighter, is ideal for me. My hearing also sucks, so a suppressor would help in aiding the preservation of it. ;)

More importantly, why is it against the law to NOT have a suppressor on my car, but against the law to own a suppressor for my gun?

nicki
12-30-2009, 3:01 AM
More importantly, why is it against the law to NOT have a suppressor on my car, but against the law to own a suppressor for my gun?

You don't necessarily have to have a muffler provided your car is below a certain decible level.

I running my trans am with just catalytic coverters, I just replaced my mufflers with a pair of turbochargers in the rear.:43:

My car has a nice deep growl, really nice when I drive through parking garages and set off everyone's car alarms.:p:p

Nicki