PDA

View Full Version : Another variation on a Cali legal "AR"

Benellishooter
12-09-2005, 7:59 AM
With all the off list receivers that will be soon available, I had an alternate (LEGAL) idea in place of the fixed 10 round magazine.

If you remove the mag catch and mag catch button, your rifle would not be capable of accepting a detachable magazine. You have a single shot, legal rifle.

When you visit your uncle in Oregon, you can install the mag catch and off you go.

- Any comments? I am not saying this is prefered over the fixed mag. It is just food for thought.

Josh
12-09-2005, 8:02 AM
i would think that yes it can still accept a detachable magazine.

The magazine still fits inside and can be readily removed.

Anonymous Coward
12-09-2005, 8:18 AM
I agree that this is somewhat dangerous. If you really want single shot AR that can be converted into a full AR out of state, you could just replace the mag catch by some screw that's potruding into the mag well so that no magazine could be inserted.

This way you can argue that you need a "tool" to make it accept magazines.

Benellishooter
12-09-2005, 8:31 AM
Thanks. Interesting. But, without the mag catch, a detachable mag would not work. It would fall out, especially after the first shot.

Just brainstorming here and doing some out of the box thinking. If it is illegal, I don't plan to do it.

Josh
12-09-2005, 8:43 AM
Thanks. Interesting. But, without the mag catch, a detachable mag would not work. It would fall out, especially after the first shot.

Just brainstorming here and doing some out of the box thinking. If it is illegal, I don't plan to do it.

the magazine does go in and does come out, therefore it fits the definition of detachable since you can remove it from the receiver without tools.

The law does not state that the magazine setup must work well or at all, just that the magazine be detachable.

bwiese
12-09-2005, 9:30 AM
the magazine does go in and does come out, therefore it fits the definition of detachable since you can remove it from the receiver without tools.

The law does not state that the magazine setup must work well or at all, just that the magazine be detachable.

I think Josh has it.

Similar concept to 50BMG enforcement: if the gun can chamber a 50BMG round, whether or not it's safe to fire, able to fire, accurate/inaccurate, it'll be considered a 50BMG gun...

Benellishooter
12-09-2005, 10:33 AM
That makes sense.