PDA

View Full Version : Video of Charlie Beck that may make you sick

jello2594
12-27-2009, 1:19 AM
I can't really explain the tragedy of this video. It's on YouTube, embedded below, and obviously from the Brady Campaign.

Watching it made me angry.. it will make you angry. The statistics he throws out and the applause they garner shows the true divide in Los Angeles.

0SotYYpPDgw

D53
12-27-2009, 1:48 AM
is it just me, or does he seem overly nervous, like he knows he is full of sh*t.

Rooftop Voter
12-27-2009, 2:42 AM
there are only 17 FFL dealers in LA county?! And 23 licensed CCW's... ummm --- well there is the problem!!! :rolleyes::willy_nilly::leaving:

Starscream
12-27-2009, 2:44 AM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/nick_adams/BooThisMan.gif

CnCFunFactory
12-27-2009, 3:46 AM
GAG!

VegasND
12-27-2009, 7:28 AM
"...a gas station in Arizona that has that many..."

Uh, want me to explain why I'd rather be walking down the street anywhere in Arizona instead of Los Angeles?

Lying Fool -- you can quote me.

bodger
12-27-2009, 7:51 AM
Just another puppet talking head sucking up to the anti-gun set.

What a load. Too bad all their efforts to rid Los Angeles of guns has not resulted in less gun crime. It just gives the law abiding citizenry less ability to legally defend itself.

But what does Beck care. Practically his entire immediate family is either on the force or retired from an LEO agency and can no doubt carry a weapon at all times.

It's maddening. When will these idiots stop patting themselves on the back for regulating firearms and ammunition when the truth is, the criminals don't get their guns and ammo legally from FFL dealers anyway.

Yet another reason why I won't be in this city, and possibly this state, much longer. It's going to take a hell of a lot more than incorporation to make it possible to get a CCW in Los Angeles. City or county. I'm not sure I have the patience to endure having my rights shat upon for that long.

CitaDeL
12-27-2009, 8:10 AM
Considering his audience, I can see why he would be proud to parade the fact that there are

only 17 gun dealers in LA
only 23 LTC concealed issued (CCW)
and that gun buy backs took 1,700 weapons off the streets

What this really means in context with the spread of gun violence is,

there are hundreds, if not thousands of illegal unregulated gun dealers in LA, dealing out of the back of their cars and from their basements or back rooms with plenty of weapons to arm gang bangers and thugs without a 10 day wait, DROS, or any documentation whatsoever.

there are hundreds, if not thousands of people who conceal carry illegally, who do not need 'good cause', fingerprinting, or a background check.

the guns that they have sucessfully melted down are from well-meaning people who havent actually taken the time to have their weapon valued, view it as some unwanted clutter, or in the worst case, the gun is an implement of a recent uninvestigated crime- to be destroyed by unwitting dupes in the police department- much better than throwing it into a lake, and Im sure the irony is not lost on most criminals.

I will stand up and applaud Beck's firm grasp on the situation. Well done. You've shown you know how to disarm innocents in favor of armed criminals. Effin' douche.

John Browning
12-27-2009, 8:16 AM
Wow. He just went full retard.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r158/azurenightmarex1/full_retard.jpg

midvalleyshooter
12-27-2009, 8:19 AM
Its so much easier to focus on getting rid of legal FFL & CCW holders than it is to rid a city of crime.

Beck even stated the guns caused the homicides he has responded to. Once again so much easier to focus on the inanimate object than the deeper issue of criminal violence.

Beck has a twisted sense of what causes crime.

Keith

Sick Boy
12-27-2009, 8:30 AM
I saw that the other day. Makes me sick to watch that, especially being that he is a police officer, knows the truth and is plainly lying through his teeth.

cadurand
12-27-2009, 8:48 AM
His public speaking skills are lacking at best. And this guy wants to be Chief? He seems really uncomforable at the podium.

And he's in front of a very friendly crowd spewing crap they're going to love to hear.

It will be interesting to see how much pride they will take in limiting people's rights once we get incorporation.

HowardW56
12-27-2009, 9:07 AM
This clip just publicizes what I have always assumed... The LAPD goes beyond being overly pro regulation, to being vehemently anti-gun...

bodger
12-27-2009, 9:08 AM
Its so much easier to focus on getting rid of legal FFL & CCW holders than it is to rid a city of crime.

Beck even stated the guns caused the homicides he has responded to. Once again so much easier to focus on the inanimate object than the deeper issue of criminal violence.

Beck has a twisted sense of what causes crime.

Keith

He and the Brady idiots all have that same twisted sense.

If I heard him correctly, he said that of the thousand homicide scenes he's been on, 90% were committed with handguns.

I'd like to hear him cite the statistics that reflect how many of those handguns, and the ammunition in them, were obtained at an FFL dealer in Los Angeles.
Seems an important fact to know considering he's touting the closure and regulation of dealers in Los Angeles as being a big deterrent to gun crime in the city.

kick Z tail out
12-27-2009, 9:10 AM
But what does Beck care. Practically his entire immediate family is either on the force or retired from an LEO agency and can no doubt carry a weapon at all times.
Yep, must be nice to be exempt from the rules you place on everyone outside your circle.

Don't forget that the outgoing LAPD chief played a role in the most recent ammunition legislation.

Im ashamed to mention that my puppy shares the same first name with this tard.

okimreloaded
12-27-2009, 9:51 AM
this is the equivalent of desiring to castrate every man because thousands of people are raped every year and concluding that man-parts are what causes rape and therefore only law enforcement officers and the military should be able to keep their man-parts. RIDICULOUS. Owning a gun does not make you a criminal or urge you on to murder.

Cops and politicians who want to disarm me make me nervous.

bodger
12-27-2009, 10:22 AM
this is the equivalent of desiring to castrate every man because thousands of people are raped every year and concluding that man-parts are what causes rape and therefore only law enforcement officers and the military should be able to keep their man-parts. RIDICULOUS. Owning a gun does not make you a criminal or urge you on to murder.

Cops and politicians who want to disarm me make me nervous.

I used to get nervous. Now I get really disgusted.
Los Angeles is the last place I want to continue to maintain a residence. I'll be out soon.

As far as law enforcement and the courts in LA are concerned, ALL gun owners are criminals unless they are authorized by the government to own firearms.

It used to be "Use a gun, go to jail"...now it's "Own a gun, go to jail".

B Strong
12-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I nominate the op for the Truth in Thread Titling award for 2009.

I'm sick to my stomach after watching that.

Great job chief.

Maestro Pistolero
12-27-2009, 10:56 AM
"There's a gas station in AZ that has that many"

And California would trade it's crime rate for Arizona's in a New York minute.

Roadrunner
12-27-2009, 11:25 AM
"There's a gas station in Arizona that has that many"

HEY CHARLIE, YOU DOUCHE BAG, WHERE'S THAT GAS STATION, I WANT TO MOVE THERE?

HowardW56
12-27-2009, 11:30 AM
"There's a gas station in AZ that has that many"

Where is this gas station? I want to stop there to fill my tank and trunk!

nick
12-27-2009, 11:41 AM

No, it wouldn't. Politicians love crime. It helps drive regulation through, it can be the vehicle for re-election, it provides for perfect photo-ops, it helps justifying inflated budgets, it keeps the subjects in check.

"What, you don't like us, you little peon? Why, then we won't protect you from the criminals, and we're the only protection you have. That is, the only protection you will have once we've gotten rid of those silly tools of yours that we've decided you don't need".

thomasanelson
12-27-2009, 12:10 PM
OMG! I don't know what else to say. I am saddened and disappointed at the same time......By the way other than Turner's Reseda and presumably the LAPD academy store, who are the other 16 dealers?

taloft
12-27-2009, 12:17 PM
"...Anybody that is opposed to gun violence and wants to limit the number of guns and there availability in our society is my partner."That is the most telling part of his whole speech. Nothing about criminal use, no distinction made between criminals and lawabiding gun owners. Just blanket get rid of them all mentality. Well Charlie, since you feel so strongly about this, how about we start with your personal firearms. Surely you wouldn't mind leading by example. It would make your partners oh so happy.
...they need to be regulated, they need to be controlled, and we need people that are serious about doing both.Yeah, sure. So tell me Charlie, by what percentage has gun crime been reduced by all of the gun control laws that L.A. has passed since you've been on the force? 1000 gun deaths you've personally seen? With all the gun control, surely that number must be wrong. According to your thinking, L.A. should be the safest city in the country right? To prove how effective it is, how about you take a walk around 107th and Grape street unarmed at 11:00 P.M. on a Friday night. You can explain to the local Crips how they can't have guns because the law says so. I'm sure they'll be willing to listen. If they give you trouble, I'm sure you can find a police car between 10th and 120th at night.:rolleyes:

This guy is a mega tool, and in dire need of toast masters. That video was painful to watch.

HowardW56
12-27-2009, 12:23 PM
OMG! I don't know what else to say. I am saddened and disappointed at the same time......By the way other than Turner's Reseda and presumably the LAPD academy store, who are the other 16 dealers?

Who knows... I didn't know there were that many left... Didn't Union War Surplus in San Pedro close down?

Liberty1
12-27-2009, 12:27 PM
I look forward to seeing his name on a 12050 suit some time in the near future. For all of his good police work, I'll grant him that, his name will then be added to the annuls of history for all posterity to witness that he was opposed to the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution in defense of criminal's job security!

(I was hopping Bratton would have that honor, Oh well, Beck seems equally deserving)

nick
12-27-2009, 12:42 PM

Big5s, and I'm sure there're more FFLs in SFV.

RP1911
12-27-2009, 1:19 PM
Who knows... I didn't know there were that many left... Didn't Union War Surplus in San Pedro close down?

probably movie prop businesses.

smokingloon
12-27-2009, 2:49 PM
Is this the same unit that shut down the custom leather holster maker in LA?

hill billy
12-27-2009, 2:55 PM
I'd be curious to see exactly how many FFL's there are in La county. I know there is about to be one more.:43:

RP1911
12-27-2009, 3:00 PM

I believe so.

HowardW56
12-27-2009, 3:09 PM

Thats the one.....

The Director
12-27-2009, 3:10 PM
Beck is a douche. What we thought before we knew him is now confirmed.

bodger
12-27-2009, 3:23 PM
Yeah, that was Omar Pineda's shop, Alfonso's of Hollywood Leather Shop.

In business 43 years, and had supplied many a quality holster to LAPD personnel over the years.
They did an undercover sting on him, two plainclothes LAPD dicks bought a couple of holsters that fit .32 caliber handguns. And Bada-bing, instant criminal.

I don't know what the eventual disposition of the case was. But Omar is still in business and does great work if anyone needs some nice gunleather.

clhking
12-27-2009, 3:30 PM
Amen, that except for the New York minute part that was the first thing that came to mind. If he had Phoenix's crime rate, he'd be the best Chief LA ever had.

GuyW
12-27-2009, 3:39 PM
Dog @#$% in a uniform....

RRangel
12-27-2009, 5:31 PM
I really didn't want to click that video and listen to more garbage. I finally couldn't resist, and boy do these people deserve a mouthful. I can't stop myself from typing.

That the settings at youtube for this video and the others in the series have been disabled for comments tells you all you need to know. For an American police Chief, Charlie Beck's speech reveals a policy rife with similarities to despotic regimes, and not one founded on liberty. These men receiving awards from an anti-liberty organization is a blight upon this nation.

When he mentions the low number of federally licensed firearm dealers within the city, the dismally low number of issued concealed weapon permits, and then overtly states that it is because of the Los Angeles Police Gun Unit, he's basically admitting guilt.

He clearly insinuated that these low numbers correlate to the gun unit, as if closing down legal businesses, and or preventing the sale of legal and necessary products is a good thing. I would not be surprised if the harassment claims against the “gun unit” are in fact true given this despicable attitude. Only in an elitist's mind is all violence, even good violence, the violence that you need to defend yourself, lumped into the same category. As long as him and his men are exempt.

The guilt and complicity of allowing vulnerable residents to be victimized by criminals with absolutely no recourse but a telephone. In effect he has revealed a policy of victim disarmament, and the maintenance of a monopoly on force. For this Charlie Beck and all like minded actors within the city deserve to be barred from public service.

These less than ideal politicians, organizations like the Brady Campaign, many of this state's failing legislators such as Kevin De Leon, and their lap dogs in the media hold their chins up in this sort of charade because they want to influence the outcomes via perception. It's now more important than ever that you understand there is opposition.

DO NOT let these modern day soviet styled oligarchs discourage you. The day of incorporation is near. Gun owners are going to have a good time rubbing it into these budding despots' faces.

bodger
12-27-2009, 5:53 PM
I hope you're right about incorporation Rrangel.

This anti-gun position is being handed down through the fiefdom of the LAPD and any candidate for a top slot in the department doesn't have a prayer of advancing if he/she is pro 2A.

HowardW56
12-27-2009, 5:58 PM
I hope you're right about incorporation Rrangel.

This anti-gun position is being handed down through the fiefdom of the LAPD and any candidate for a top slot in the department doesn't have a prayer of advancing if he/she is pro 2A.

Incorporation is just a step...

THere will be years of litigation or arm bending to undo the laws and policies that are in place...

Nra-Life-Member
12-27-2009, 5:59 PM
Yeah, that was Omar Pineda's shop, Alfonso's of Hollywood Leather Shop.

In business 43 years, and had supplied many a quality holster to LAPD personnel over the years.
They did an undercover sting on him, two plainclothes LAPD dicks bought a couple of holsters that fit .32 caliber handguns. And Bada-bing, instant criminal.

I don't know what the eventual disposition of the case was. But Omar is still in business and does great work if anyone needs some nice gunleather.

Where is the crime in making holsters?

bodger
12-27-2009, 6:08 PM
Where is the crime in making holsters?

No crime in it at all, unless you happen to live in Los Angeles, which has a municipal code that prohibits the sale of ultra compact handguns. They conveniently included the sale of holsters for those firearms as well.

No state or federal laws exist to control the sale of such items as far as I know.

Maestro Pistolero
12-27-2009, 7:19 PM
They conveniently included the sale of holsters for those firearms as well.
Because criminal ALWAYS carry in a proper holster. NOT.

Smokey510
12-27-2009, 7:22 PM

This will be a dumb question to some... but here goes

Its illegal to sell .32 caliber holsters?!? Are you F'in kidding me?!? This state is so retarded.

Nra-Life-Member
12-27-2009, 7:41 PM
No crime in it at all, unless you happen to live in Los Angeles, which has a municipal code that prohibits the sale of ultra compact handguns. They conveniently included the sale of holsters for those firearms as well.

No state or federal laws exist to control the sale of such items as far as I know.

Wow.. That is one for the record books...

HowardW56
12-27-2009, 7:48 PM

Isn't the Los Angeles restriction on compact handguns in conflict with State law?

The Director
12-27-2009, 7:56 PM
Here is the story, taken from another Calgunner's post:

In an outlandish enforcement action, Detectives from the LAPD Gun Unit, working with a new City Attorney Task Force, recently performed a plain clothes undercover "sting" on a leather smith Omar Pineda's family business: Alfonso's of Hollywood Leather Company. Pineda, in business in North Hollywood for 43 years, makes custom holsters and other leather goods. In fact, he has been servicing LAPD officers for many years. But he does not sell guns, nor possess a firearm dealer's license - which isn't necessary for his leather business. Pineda's "crime?" He unwittingly sold two leather holsters for .380 ACP handguns to the undercover officers, not realizing that the recently enacted Municipal Code section that bans the sale of "ultracompact" handguns (under either 6 3/4" long or 4 3/4" tall) also bans the sale of holsters for these guns.

And when was this dangerous leather smith "criminal" detected? On September 11th no less! As the country, under the heightened alert declared by the federal government, held its breath that we wouldn't suffer another terrorist attack the LAPD was spending federal dollars to arrest a holster maker!

The sting was part of a new misguided effort to crack down on gun dealers in the city. Using federal "Project Safe Neighborhoods" dollars, the L.A. city Attorney's Office has formed a gun prosecutor "task force," and, working with the LAPD "Gun Unit," is performing regulatory "inspectors" on the roughly 200 FFLS in the City of LA. Dealers fear the effort is a pretext to put them out of business.

cbn620
12-27-2009, 8:11 PM
They're too chicken**** to allow comments/ratings on the youtube video. What does that tell you about their position? They know the majority of people are against it. I was going to post a polite comment refuting some of the myths to what he is saying and I can't do that because they're either too afraid or too arrogant to allow discussion. If this is such an important issue to them, and it is to me, they should allow discourse. What is this thing I always heard people say about cooler heads prevailing? They should let cooler heads prevail, let rational discussion occur on the subject.

Gio
12-27-2009, 8:16 PM
They're too chicken**** to allow comments/ratings on the youtube video. What does that tell you about their position? They know the majority of people are against it. I was going to post a polite comment refuting some of the myths to what he is saying and I can't do that because they're either too afraid or too arrogant to allow discussion. If this is such an important issue to them, and it is to me, they should allow discourse. What is this thing I always heard people say about cooler heads prevailing? They should let cooler heads prevail, let rational discussion occur on the subject.

Yup, what a bunch of bull crap! I hate idiots like these!

-Gio

oaklander
12-27-2009, 8:20 PM
The real problem is "gang members" with guns.

cc4usmc
12-27-2009, 8:20 PM
Try sending them a message and ask them to allow comments lol. Then post their replies here, if you get any.

KylaGWolf
12-27-2009, 8:23 PM

That would be the same one yes. I could only watch about half of the video before I got sick to my stomach. You know its funny if you go to the FBI website and grab the crime statistics for the last few years you find that the states that are 2A friendly and they have lower crime rates. The ones that are not 2A friendly have a higher crime rate. I also find it funny that the comments for that video were shut off. I think they are afraid of the fact that people are going to call BS on them.

Liberty I agree I can't wait for the day for his name to be on a suit.

bodger
12-27-2009, 8:56 PM
Isn't the Los Angeles restriction on compact handguns in conflict with State law?

Maybe, if it is in conflict I don't know which state law it is. And the Los Angeles City Council probably wouldn't care anyway. The state won't challenge it, I assume a private citizen would have to file suit.

As far as I know, the ordinance still stands, including the holster ban.

Utter and complete nonsense. And this is what the LAPD spends resources on. Undercover sting operations on people who manufacture and sell leather goods.

IrishPirate
12-27-2009, 9:14 PM

i know where i'm getting my gas from in Arizona!! :D

lets look at another statistic shall we....LA has only 17 "gun shops" according to Chief F*ckhead. Apparently only 23 CCW's also. Correlation: very little legal gun sales happening and thus fewer armed LAC's. Now, the interesting part: LA has one of the worst crime rates in the country!!!! Places with higher gun owner populations accross the nation have far fewer gun related crimes.....so how can we stop gun violence??? Gee, maybe by arming the LAC's like we've been saying for years all the statistics point to as being the best way to prevent gun violence!?!?!?! It makes me sick how ignorant some people are...

hill billy
12-27-2009, 9:23 PM
i know where i'm getting my gas from in Arizona!! :D

lets look at another statistic shall we....LA has only 17 "gun shops" according to Chief F*ckhead. Apparently only 23 CCW's also. Correlation: very little legal gun sales happening and thus fewer armed LAC's. Now, the interesting part: LA has one of the worst crime rates in the country!!!! Places with higher gun owner populations accross the nation have far fewer gun related crimes.....so how can we stop gun violence??? Gee, maybe by arming the LAC's like we've been saying for years all the statistics point to as being the best way to prevent gun violence!?!?!?! It makes me sick how ignorant some people are...

Well, when you're the new Chief and you are sucking at every appendage in site trying to keep those who put you in power happy, you'll say anything you want. Nice to know that we have another LAPD chief in power who is in the Mao, I mean Mayor's pocket. To hell with both of them. The rank and file HATE Beck. My shooting buddy has been in 20 years and works in IA, everyone in his office hates Beck.

Chuck0matic
12-27-2009, 9:30 PM
there are only 17 FFL dealers in LA county?! And 23 licensed CCW's... ummm --- well there is the problem!!! :rolleyes::willy_nilly::leaving:

people where clapping, and I dont think they have any idea why! This is a huge joke, besides how many guns they melted, how they dont give out CCW's and the amount of gun stores, did he say anything???

Glock21sfsd
12-27-2009, 9:53 PM
That guy is a douche bag

hkusp9c
12-27-2009, 10:29 PM
what's controlling the number of LEGAL FFL and CCWs got to do with controlling the violent crimes in LA?

very strange logic Mr. Beck has.

bluestaterebel
12-27-2009, 11:17 PM
The rank an file HATE Beck. My shooting buddy has been in 20 years and works in IA, everyone in his office hates Beck.

The rank and file does NOT hate Beck. In fact they like Beck. He is a cop's chief. Thats probably why people in IA hate him. His position on gun control troubles me, but I am not surprised from LAPD brass. Remember, Villaraigosa hired him.

CCWFacts
12-28-2009, 12:05 AM
what's controlling the number of LEGAL FFL and CCWs got to do with controlling the violent crimes in LA?

First, I must say, I have no respect for Mr. Beck, no matter what his accomplishments may be. He is, fundamentally, on the side of keeping criminals armed and keeping me (and the rest of us) defenseless. In his view, LAPD is the answer for us, despite the well-known fact that their 911 response times are typically > 1hr.

However...

A small handful of legal FFLs do supply a lot of criminals with their firepower. There are rogue FFLs out there. They do things such as:

Turn a blind eye to straw purchases, like situations where a gang member comes in, chooses a gun, and his GF is there and she completes the transactions
They buy guns from private parties, and put them in inventory without logging them in to their book, and then turn around and sell them, also off the book, so there is no record of them ever being in the FFL's inventory

These types of FFLs are rare, but the few that are out there, constitute a major problem.

It is a shame that there are only 17 FFLs left to serve a city of 3mil, but I must say, eliminating these rogue FFLs would be a big help in making it more difficult for criminals to get weapons.

I think Mr. Beck is going about this all the wrong way, but we as RKBA activists should be aware of the problem of rogue FFLs. It is a real problem, and it hurts us a lot, both politically and from a practical standpoint.

Count me in also as someone who will be very very happy to see Mr. Beck on the losing end of a 12050 lawsuit someday, soon.

vantec08
12-28-2009, 8:35 AM
Got a HUGE flash for this toad - -- I can hang around 7th and Fig. or such for a few hours and get about any kind of gun I want. More self-congratulatory and political grandstanding.

RRangel
12-28-2009, 10:50 AM

Make no mistake. Those that prop up the Brady Campaign and take part in the fatal charade of victim disarmament most likely have no issue eliminating all legal FFL dealers and CCWs. When you consider the population size in the city of Los Angeles you have no choice but to confront the obvious.

The speaker in the video reveals a disdain directed toward legal firearms and that should give you an idea how they operate. They pat themselves on the back and pontificate the evils of inanimate objects all with seemingly little consideration for our rights or the role firearms play in saving lives.

The devout left - the majority of those who hold political office in Los Angeles - have been working hard to place the onus of our crime problems onto firearms. It's not politically correct to blame their disadvantaged constituents.

Many of the persons affiliated with the Brady Campaign are cruel and are not concerned with everyone else because they reside in an isolated bubble world of privilege. That description appears to fit many of these political gun proponents to a tee.

bodger
12-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Got a HUGE flash for this toad - -- I can hang around 7th and Fig. or such for a few hours and get about any kind of gun I want. More self-congratulatory and political grandstanding.

Yeah, and no background check or waiting period either. Beck would do better to camp out down there and stop illegal gun sales instead of kissing a** to this group of gun grabbers.

The rank and file does NOT hate Beck. In fact they like Beck. He is a cop's chief. Thats probably why people in IA hate him. His position on gun control troubles me, but I am not surprised from LAPD brass. Remember, Villaraigosa hired him.

And Bratton handed him the reins. A seamless transition in terms of where the Chief of LAPD stands on the 2A for the citizens of this city.

I hope they realize, there is an end to this.

Experimentalist
12-28-2009, 2:19 PM
I saw this video while visiting my parents in Phoenix Arizona. The speaker mentioned 17 licensed gun dealers in Los Angeles, then snidely commented that "there are that many at a gas station in Arizona".

I gotta say, I've visited Los Angeles on several occasions. I feel far safer here in Phoenix than I ever have in LA. I'm sure someone could reinforce the point by comparing crime statistics.

Phoenix is a lot more fun too, and there isn't even a Disneyland nearby.

Crazed_SS
12-28-2009, 3:00 PM
I saw this video while visiting my parents in Phoenix Arizona. The speaker mentioned 17 licensed gun dealers in Los Angeles, then snidely commented that "there are that many at a gas station in Arizona".

I gotta say, I've visited Los Angeles on several occasions. I feel far safer here in Phoenix than I ever have in LA. I'm sure someone could reinforce the point by comparing crime statistics.

Phoenix is a lot more fun too, and there isn't even a Disneyland nearby.

Just by looking at the stats and taking into account the differences in population size, Phoenix doesnt seem much safer than Los Angeles..

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_08_ca.html
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_08_az.html

Phoenix probably just feels safer because you can walk around strapped

Billy Jack
12-28-2009, 3:03 PM
A few years ago LAPD released a study of response times. 3-5+ minutes for emergency calls. They have not done a follow up study recently so we do not know what they are currently. The extended response times is one of the reasons they have a significant number of collisions with black and whites rolling Code 2 and whacking or getting whacked in intersections. CODE 3 responses are very restrictive so officers have to take it upon themselves to get to crimes in progress as fast as possible. Often to their own detriment.

The LAPD rank and file are good people doing a difficult job. Makes one wonder how many felonies Beck had to commit on the Mayor to get the job?

It would be my distinct pleasure to personally hand Chief Beck his very own personal, Certified copy of a Complaint for personal damages for his failure to comply with 12050 PC, the 14th Amendment of the United States Constitution and his department's own CCW Policy.

As many of you are aware, Billy Jack is quite shy but if the right person provides me with the opportunity to serve this inarticulate, nervous Chief I will post the day and time of service so interested persons can bring cameras.

Billy Jack

Tarn_Helm
12-28-2009, 4:29 PM
That is the most telling part of his whole speech. Nothing about criminal use, no distinction made between criminals and lawabiding gun owners. Just blanket get rid of them all mentality. Well Charlie, since you feel so strongly about this, how about we start with your personal firearms. Surely you wouldn't mind leading by example. It would make your partners oh so happy.
Yeah, sure. So tell me Charlie, by what percentage has gun crime been reduced by all of the gun control laws that L.A. has passed since you've been on the force? 1000 gun deaths you've personally seen? With all the gun control, surely that number must be wrong. According to your thinking, L.A. should be the safest city in the country right? To prove how effective it is, how about you take a walk around 107th and Grape street unarmed at 11:00 P.M. on a Friday night. You can explain to the local Crips how they can't have guns because the law says so. I'm sure they'll be willing to listen. If they give you trouble, I'm sure you can find a police car between 10th and 120th at night.:rolleyes:

This guy is a mega tool, and in dire need of toast masters. That video was painful to watch.
+1
Couldn't put it any better.

Afterburnt
12-28-2009, 4:53 PM
32 years and he hasnt learned a dat gamned thing!

bluestaterebel
12-28-2009, 6:39 PM
I can hang around 7th and Fig. or such for a few hours and get about any kind of gun I want.

You watch too many movies...but I get your point

RRangel
12-29-2009, 4:40 AM
Just by looking at the stats and taking into account the differences in population size, Phoenix doesnt seem much safer than Los Angeles..

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_08_ca.html
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_08_az.html

Phoenix probably just feels safer because you can walk around strapped

I'd count any place that allows me to actually defend myself as safer.

socal2310
12-29-2009, 6:58 AM
The SFV has helped to disguise LA's crime problem for a long time. Let the folks in the Valley secede and then compare crime statistics. LA's ranking would jump up to rival Detroit or D.C.

Ryan

GuyW
12-29-2009, 12:00 PM
A few years ago LAPD released a study of response times. 3-5+ minutes for emergency calls.

Having recently reviewed such data for a different city, I am extremely dubious of this claim....

Billy Jack
12-29-2009, 1:16 PM
My source was the Los Angeles Times. I would welcome hearing yours and if honorable PI is wrong he will apologize.

If you desire to question someone else's facts you should be prepared to present your source and the error. Were my numbers too low or too high?

One can not compare apples to oranges. Los Angeles is a unique city due to its physical layout. I am sure other cities have different response times.

'A wise man, is one who raises questions and also presents answers'.

Billy Jack

Roadrunner
12-29-2009, 1:23 PM
My source was the Los Angeles Times. I would welcome hearing yours and if honorable PI is wrong he will apologize.

If you desire to question someone else's facts you should be prepared to present your source and the error. Were my numbers too low or too high?

One can not compare apples to oranges. Los Angeles is a unique city due to its physical layout. I am sure other cities have different response times.

Billy Jack

This might be true so long as you don't live in the Hollywood hills. True story, I saw a security guard escort the cops and fire department, because they don't know the roads in the hollywood hills.

GuyW
12-29-2009, 4:48 PM

I wasn't doubting you, but your sources. I don't have the numbers, but that doesn't mean that I'll accept theirs. For instance, one metric is often something like, "90% of calls responded to within (target time)"....leaving 10% SOL. Also, precinct results are typically averaged, so that the 2.5 minute response time in Hoity Toity community, is averaged against the 10 minute rt elsewhere...

As well, games are played with the definition of "response time" - does it start when the call first comes in, or when a unit begins its response, or?? Do the reponse times include all serious calls?? Are calls during rush hours treated differently?

Were my numbers too low or too high?

Too low.

Absolutely.

Maybe, but the start of wisdom is to first smell the dead fish....

GuyW
12-29-2009, 5:08 PM
"Reducing the LAPD's lengthy response times to emergencies would be a main priority for the new cities, secession leaders say. The department's citywide average is a 10-minute response. For calls deemed nonemergencies, waits can be much, much longer."

"At one point at the 911 center recently, 38 people were awaiting officers for a variety of reasons. One caller had been waiting 59 minutes after reporting a trespasser. Another was still waiting 36 minutes after calling about a family dispute. A third, who had reported a fight between neighbors, was waiting 39 minutes."

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/oct/19/local/me-police19?pg=2

My current intuitive speculation? Real, uncooked stats are 90% response within 20 minutes..... (and I might be an optimist...)

five.five-six
12-29-2009, 6:21 PM

yea, I've been to that gas station, it's in parker