PDA

View Full Version : New Bluray, aspect ratio not so good.

blackbok
12-26-2009, 6:36 PM
So I just got a Samsung BD1600 Bluray for Christmas. Awesome. Also got Band of Brothers on Bluray. awesome again. Bummer is right now I have a standard (non HD non flat screen, non super cool) TV. I hooked it all up this morning, and after setting it up, started the disk. The picture was squashed (see: no black bars top and bottom). I went back in the video setup menu, and changed the aspect to play as standard (not 16:9). Still squashed. I tried every aspect ratio and it wouldn't change. I put in a DVD, and it was letterboxed. Is Band of Brothers non- letterboxed on standard TV's? Obviously I am new to this upscale park avenue movie watchin', so I'm out of my element. I know I really need a nice 42" LCD, but not in the cards for now. I'd still like to enjoy Band of Brothers as it should be on my TV.

Also, I noticed this BR player can stream netflix and pandora, but I need to buy a Wireless USB Adaptor. Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to drop $75 on something that isn't what I think it's gonna be.

Thanks!

TonyM
12-27-2009, 9:59 AM
Is Band of Brothers non- letterboxed on standard TV's?

I'm going to mostly ignore everything else, as you already know you really need a new TV to get the right image from the BD player..

On to the question I quoted: Take a look at the package for the discs, it should tell you the aspect ratio of the content. Amazon claims it is 1.78:1, so that should completely fill a widescreen TV without any black borders. I've never tried to play a BD disc on an SD display, and it's probably not a very supported use case. Since the SD DVD works, it may be how the player operates when you try to play HD content out to an SD display... Sorry I can't be of more help, but you might want to try calling the manufacturer of the player tomorrow to find out for sure if that's a supported configuration.

6172crew
12-27-2009, 11:48 AM
So I just got a Samsung BD1600 Bluray for Christmas. Awesome. Also got Band of Brothers on Bluray. awesome again. Bummer is right now I have a standard (non HD non flat screen, non super cool) TV. I hooked it all up this morning, and after setting it up, started the disk. The picture was squashed (see: no black bars top and bottom). I went back in the video setup menu, and changed the aspect to play as standard (not 16:9). Still squashed. I tried every aspect ratio and it wouldn't change. I put in a DVD, and it was letterboxed. Is Band of Brothers non- letterboxed on standard TV's? Obviously I am new to this upscale park avenue movie watchin', so I'm out of my element. I know I really need a nice 42" LCD, but not in the cards for now. I'd still like to enjoy Band of Brothers as it should be on my TV.

Also, I noticed this BR player can stream netflix and pandora, but I need to buy a Wireless USB Adaptor. Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to drop $75 on something that isn't what I think it's gonna be.

Thanks!

I rig netflicks over my PS3, its a cool feature but you will have to send off for the disc if your running a PS3. Why not buy a cheap ethernet cable to see if its what you want.

Nxd9ar15xcrL
12-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Good thing pricing on HD TV's is getting good, cause until you get a 1080p HDTV, our BluRay is worthless.

ldivinag
12-27-2009, 2:35 PM
dude...

buy a HDTV...

trust me... bluray is what to HD is sig p classis pistols is to handguns... :)

IsaacGlass
12-29-2009, 12:53 AM
Do you have a LCD widescreen computer monitor with HDMI input and HDMI cables?

Syntax Error
12-29-2009, 9:40 PM
You'd probably need to get something in 16:9 aspect ratio to fully enjoy the BluRay HD player, otherwise you just have a glorified DVD player, to be honest.

I doubt that BluRay players can even do aspect ratio scaling because they're meant for HD TVs; luckily, they've gone down in price quite a bit. It's not unusual to see $750-800 42" 1080p LCD TVs.

Look Wat I kAn DO !
12-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Great tv under $500 . Time to sell a gun and buy a tv.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32B460-32-Inch-720p-HDTV/dp/B001U3Y8MW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262159355&sr=1-6