PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV - is the access card portable?

DeanW66
12-26-2009, 3:23 PM
I don't want to do anything "illegal" or against the T&C so...

But, at home I have an older style DirectTV dual-LNB dish and converter box. I'm pretty sure the box has a slide in card that is tied to the account. At work we have DirecTV but with only very limited channel access. These are even older boxes. Are the access cards compatible? In other words, if I brought my home-card to work can I then watch the hunting channels and SpeedTV at work also?

om221
12-26-2009, 4:49 PM
I don't want to do anything "illegal" or against the T&C so...

But, at home I have an older style DirectTV dual-LNB dish and converter box. I'm pretty sure the box has a slide in card that is tied to the account. At work we have DirecTV but with only very limited channel access. These are even older boxes. Are the access cards compatible? In other words, if I brought my home-card to work can I then watch the hunting channels and SpeedTV at work also?

It won't work.

Cokebottle
12-26-2009, 5:05 PM
The cards "marry" to the receiver.... and yes, there are likely compatibility issues with the newer cards and the older receivers.

I was perfectly happy with my system (using the old "H" card) and had no problems with it until DTV forced card upgrades. It wasn't the card with the football player on it, but the next one after that... started having problem with the receiver locking up, guide not updating. rebooting, etc....

That pushed me into the whole H20 fiasco... went through 4 receivers before finally getting one that wouldn't reboot at random.

DeanW66
12-27-2009, 7:49 PM
Yow, I guess I should consider myself fortunate. I'm not going to mention the not-many non-problems I haven't had or something like that (don't want to encourage the gremlins).

ETA:thanks for the clues about non-portability. guess I'll just have to carry the whole darn box to work.

JDay
12-27-2009, 9:39 PM
It can be done if the box can read the card, you have to go into the boxes settings and un-marry the card from the receiver first. Same has to be done to the box at work. Repeat before going home.

bohoki
12-27-2009, 11:28 PM
generally everything is taken care of at directv

i got a new box at a garage sale cause my regular one was acting glitchy and told them my "assets" not working rca box just aquired mitsubishi box and the access card in the rcs box

they got the serials for the old the new and the card and i was watchin tv on the new box in less than 5 minutes

if you want portable just bring the box i dont have any special programming so it wouldnt help to bring my box to someone elses house that has directv

as long as they have a directv dish properly pointed it will work anywhere (other than the spot beam local channels)

i often wished i could get a box registered over in georgia so i could get "turner south" i'd love to have smokey and the bandit on every week

oh man i just found out turner south died back in 2006