PDA

View Full Version : Primers

Carpenter 409
12-26-2009, 12:57 PM
I need your input people, Rifle primers both large and small. What do you like and why?
I'm new to reloading and am hearing don't use this and don't use that so I put it to you what do you like?

Thanks Again
Mark

joelogic
12-26-2009, 1:39 PM
Welcome to Calguns, but +1 on RTFM and only post one thread per forum

Linus
12-26-2009, 1:46 PM
LR & SR primers are used in different applications. A centerfire case will either be one or the other, you don't choose between the two.

Jonathan Doe
12-26-2009, 1:56 PM
I just tested my 308 Win at the Angeles Range today. I reloaded using Wolf large rifle primers, and I love the performance of the primers. It is neck to neck with Federal match primers giving me somewhere around 1/2 minute accuracy at 100 yards.

vta
12-26-2009, 2:22 PM
i use what i can get my hands on. i am not picky so as long as it ignites, i am happy. CCI, Wolf seem to be what I've been able to find lately. you precision rifle guys on the other hand will sure have favorites.

anothergunnut
12-26-2009, 2:54 PM
Get a reloading book and read it carefully. It will include data sections that tell you the appropriate type of primer for each cartridge you are interested in. There is a lot of basic information that you need to know before you start reloading. You only save money reloading if you don't blow up a gun and take your hand and face with it.

If you want to know what people's favorite brand is, that is a different question. I have been happily using Wolf primers for a while as they are cheap and they always go bang. If I don't get good groups it is my fault, not the primer's.

22popnsplat
12-26-2009, 3:17 PM
If i read his question correctly he is has applications for large and small primers .
A few years back when I was shooting a extremely accurate 22 hornet I did load testing with my favorite load and just trying different small rifle primers , I found a change in the point of impact but no change in the group size. this may well change with different rifles though.

swerv512
12-26-2009, 4:23 PM
only way to find out what shoots best (consistency is the key here) is to chrono the loads. i shoot mostly CCI primers because i can find them easiest around my area. the number one consideration should be what your favorite place of business stocks. doesnt matter if you like federal match primers if you cant find em anywhere. alot of people shooting wolf these days and have good things to say...

Carpenter 409
12-30-2009, 9:45 AM
Sorry I guess I didn't make myself clear I need both large (308) and small (223).
I just started cleaning both calibers and am ready to decap and start reloading. I just got a couple of books on reloading so this week will be filled with reading.
Thanks for all your input guys.

johnrunner89
12-30-2009, 7:01 PM
I have always used Winchester primers because it's all I cuold find in stock when I bought them. Out of 1000 or so, only one bad primer.

rksimple
12-30-2009, 7:25 PM
I've used everything out there. Use whatever is in stock. Seriously.

If I have a choice, Federal, Wolf, and Winchester have always been good to me.

buffybuster
12-30-2009, 7:38 PM
I have always used Winchester primers because it's all I cuold find in stock when I bought them. Out of 1000 or so, only one bad primer.

1 out of 1000? That is TOO HIGH of a failure rate for primers. I'd bet you did something.

buffybuster
12-30-2009, 7:39 PM
I've used everything out there. Use whatever is in stock. Seriously.

If I have a choice, Federal, Wolf, and Winchester have always been good to me.

+1

Use WHATEVER (correct size/application) primer that is in stock.

PistolPete75
12-30-2009, 8:41 PM
I like them all. Federal match primers, federal regular primers, wolf primers, and CCI br2 primers. They all work very well with H4350. Best value are the wolf primers in performance to dollar ratio. CCI are the worst in performance to dollar ratio simply do it being the most expensive, however CCI seems to hold the hottest charges. Winchester works well for plinking grade ammo, but the primers are a bit soft. Federal Match primers are like gold and carry a premium in the marketplace if you need to resale them. You never have to worry about buying too much of them.

johnrunner89
12-31-2009, 11:14 AM
1 out of 1000? That is TOO HIGH of a failure rate for primers. I'd bet you did something.

probably lol

Timberwolf
12-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Basically your choice of primers depends alot on the powder, the case and your application. WIth the shortages in the past year people now are using basically whatever is available but the shortages are easing up.

As a general rule Hodgdon powders like CCI primers - Varget and BR2s are like ham and eggs. I have found that Alliant powder (in my applcation RL 15 & 17) seem to prefer Winchester and Wolf (in my case PMC red - in other words the Russian primers) and lastly IMR powder seem to like 210 and 210Ms. YRMV

ireload
01-01-2010, 4:27 AM
I use both CCI and Win primers. Never have any issues with them. I recently accuired Wolf small pistol from a fellow Calgunner and have read mostly good things about them.