PDA

View Full Version : my dad wants an 01 ffl

mdouglas1980
12-25-2009, 10:31 PM
So my dad wants to get his 01 FFL. I know that the ATF charges $200 for the first three years and then $90 after that.I keep telling him that it's really not worth the it since he would probably just be doing transfers for people on the side since he's real estate broker. I found the number that you have to call for the form 7 packet from the ATF, but what else do you have to do? You have to check with your local planning commission for zoning correct? Get a COE, a Handgun Cert course to sell handguns, apply for a high-cap permit, and possibly an assault weapon license for LE sales too. can you order pistols for yourself as a dealer and would they have to be on the approved list? or are you exempt from the roster since you're a dealer? Where should I start? I think he may change his mind when we see how much work and money it will take.
thanks for the help :43:

CA Gun Laws Suck
12-26-2009, 2:09 AM
I can help you with part of this...You can order guns that are not on the roster for (LE or out of state sales) but if you are ordering non roster guns for yourself it will have to be approved unless your exempt. Having an 01 does not allow you to buy non roster handguns unfortunatly. There is a lot of paperwork involved just to do transfers not to discourage you or your dad. Now if you want to have a low fee for incoming or outgoing firearms to bring in customers and also do retail that is another story. Hope this helps somewhat.

TripleT
12-26-2009, 7:33 AM
One step at a time. Start with the zoning issue. If your good to go there then it looks like you've done your homework and have the rest of the info correct. Keep in mind all the little things that add up in terms of time and money. There's live scan fingerprinting for COE (around 75.00), there's the cost of the HSC's. There's also the cost of the dummy rounds to do the safety checks. Your local jurisdiction will likely have a fee for a local firearms dealers license, to be renewed annually. Cities and Counties are looking for revenue wherever they can find it these days. Nothing difficult, just time consuming and it seems like you get nickel and dimed to death. Oh, liabilty insurance may be an issue also. Maybe an add on to his real estate commercial policy ?

Wonderwhippet
12-26-2009, 8:34 AM
Looks like a good place to expand the question a bit further. Let's say an individual wants to start a firearms business which is strictly limited to mail order, selling only to FFL dealers for transfer to a customer. The business would have no walk in trade and no premises open to the public, working out of a residence. Would it be possible to get an 01 license, and would the involvement with the state be less complicated?

djbooya
12-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Looks like a good place to expand the question a bit further. Let's say an individual wants to start a firearms business which is strictly limited to mail order, selling only to FFL dealers for transfer to a customer. The business would have no walk in trade and no premises open to the public, working out of a residence. Would it be possible to get an 01 license, and would the involvement with the state be less complicated?

Same issues would apply...e.g., if your local zoning doesn't allow any business out of the home or specifically excludes firearms businesses then it would be up to the local city policies to allow you the exemption.

The state/federal stuff is easy...all the pain, time, and money will come from local city laws.