PDA

View Full Version : Hicap mags for an AR-15

minerym
12-25-2009, 2:35 PM
I used to own an AR-15 about 15 years ago.I still have some 30 round mags.Would I legally be able to use them in my new AR with a bb?

Sunshine
12-25-2009, 2:37 PM
No, you'd need to go featureless to use your prebans. Also, a fixed mag that holds 10+ rounds is a felony, so don't slap a bb on a featureless build and use those 30's

bwiese
12-25-2009, 2:40 PM
Merry Christmas.

Congrats on saving your hicap magazines.

You can use hicap mags in a rifle that can legally use detachable magazines - which means YOU CANNOT USE THESE HICAP MAGs ON AN OLL AR15 w/BulletButton or other maglock, or you'll create an illegal assault weapon.

Remember, there's a secondary definition of generic AW in California: semiauto centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine holding over 10 rounds.

If you want to use detachable, hicap magazines, go "featureless" - use an upper that does not have a flash hider, plus use a MonsterMan grip, a California Rifles U15 stock, or an Exile Machine adapter/stock. These latter devices are not legally considerable as "pistol grips" or "thumbhole stocks" due to the formal regulatory definitions in 11 CCR 5469.

minerym
12-25-2009, 2:44 PM
Ok that sucks but the laws the law.Can laws such as this one be changed/over turned in any way? Thank you for answering me previous post.

bwiese
12-25-2009, 2:46 PM
Ok that sucks but the laws the law.Can laws such as this one be changed/over turned in any way? Thank you for answering me previous post.

We - NRA, CRPA and CGF and Calgunners are all working on this. Things will be far more fluid after favorable resoultion of the McDonald v Chicago case regarding incorporation (do a search for details).

In the meantime, enjoy what you have as the originators of these laws thought they banned these setups too - but they forgot the ingenuity & analytical skills of California gunnies.

Seesm
12-25-2009, 5:46 PM
Bill I know you all do some amazing stuff but do you really think you get to where we can use our old mags in our OLL's and or drop the BB all together...?

professorhard
12-25-2009, 6:03 PM
Just use a solar tactical grip wrap

novabrian
12-25-2009, 7:24 PM
Just use a solar tactical grip wrap

Like a monster grip? I hate those things.

wildhawker
12-25-2009, 7:31 PM
Bill I know you all do some amazing stuff but do you really think you get to where we can use our old mags in our OLL's and or drop the BB all together...?

I'm extraordinarily confident that we'll get farther than that in the coming years.

Seesm
01-02-2010, 7:05 PM
I hope so Brandon.... Just laws that make sense... :)

sytfu_RR
01-02-2010, 7:41 PM
Like a monster grip? I hate those things.

not exactly, the solar wrap uses the standard A2 Grip, but prevents your thumb from going around.

http://www.solartactical.com/product.sc?productId=32&categoryId=19

tazmanian devil dog
01-02-2010, 10:44 PM
not exactly, the solar wrap uses the standard A2 Grip, but prevents your thumb from going around.

http://www.solartactical.com/product.sc?productId=32&categoryId=19

I really like that slip on grip. I am gonna have to get me one.

SteveH
01-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm extraordinarily confident that we'll get farther than that in the coming years.

I sure hope so.

I'd like to see Roberti Roos (1989) ban go first.