PDA

View Full Version : Online vs. In store

novabrian
12-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Is there any benefit of buying a rifle online? Like no tax or anything like that?

BONECUTTER
12-25-2009, 3:02 PM
Is there any benefit of buying a rifle online? Like no tax or anything like that?

If you live in CA you would need to pay tax.
They key benefit would be if you know what you want and want to pick something up before its sold out but can't make it to the store buying online holds one for you.

Harley
12-25-2009, 3:16 PM
Hand pick your item, plus you get to deal with the nice folks down at Riflegear and check out all the nice goodies they have. ;):D

uxo2
12-25-2009, 8:02 PM
There is nothing like dealing with the fine people at riflegear....

Never a complaint....

novabrian
12-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Thank you for the info.Yes I have been there a few times.Those guys are the most awesome people I have ever come across at a retail store.But I figured since I knew what I exactly wanted buying online would save me some money.But if I have to pay tax and shipping then it would cost more.Going there tomorrow then to buy a DD M4!!!

Markhb
12-26-2009, 6:26 AM
Buy a gun at the store then stop in at Hooters across the street.

GoingPro
12-30-2009, 2:06 AM
Buy a gun at the store then stop in at Hooters across the street.

they should have hooters girls modeling their AR's

p229
12-30-2009, 9:23 AM
Hooters keeps getting sued... not sure if Riflegear wants that kinda heat.

GoingPro
12-30-2009, 9:47 AM
Hooters keeps getting sued... not sure if Riflegear wants that kinda heat.

get em in some riflegear tank tops and some riflegear booty shorts

dirtnap
01-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Pm Sent regarding recent store purchase....

wilafur
01-04-2010, 12:00 PM
purchased a lower from them last week and i am glad i went in vs buying it online. (well, i had to go in anyways to do the DROS).

nice guys and very knowledgeable, we shot the breeze for a couple hours as i was trying to figure out if i wanted to build or buy a full rifle.

CAL.BAR
01-04-2010, 12:22 PM

HUGE advantages to on line. Availability for one. MOST gunshops in So Cal. have VERY limited stock. Second is the tax advantage. If you buy online from as shop that doesn't have any brick&mortar here in CA, NO St. Sales tax. 9-10% sales tax on a 2-4K rifle that can really add up.

Last advantage is convenience - don't have to drive all over town. Click and purchase and have it sent to your FFL. The only way to shop.

I hardly buy anything in actual stores anymore.

BadIndianSwamp
01-04-2010, 12:31 PM
If looking for handgun ammo...there is NOTHING in 357 mag available anywhere in Orange County. I even drove to bass pro. NOTHING!. Walmart tells me to stop in everyday and check. Local stores have no stock at any price. Online is the only way to go until the fingerprinting starts next year.
Thanks to Calgun members, I have found some good places to buy ammo online for my new hobby.

Trainwrecker
01-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Number one difference is the luxury of not wondering. You can hold the gun or part in your hand, size it up, compare the color match, drool, etc. It's always nice to be able to shoulder a weapon and bask in it's glory before you shell out some cash.

Another advantage is they have lots of items not listed on their website. Pistol grip mossbergs, all the Sig rifles, Dracos and as of last week or so, this absolutely gorgeous custom Noveske build going for 2500. Could you guys please post a couple pics of it with a build list? I'm trying to talk my buddy into buying it for his first gun. Words simply dont do it justice though. All the tan on it was so tastefully done, and very well matched. Which sling was that? I thought it was an MS2 but the color was too nice.

Bongos
01-30-2010, 6:07 PM
First time at Riflegear! just did a PPT at Riflegear (Sig556) before heading over to the Costa Mesa Gunshow. The guys were pretty nice and answered all of my questions before PPT arrived, they match there online prices, so I decided to pick up a Spikes OLL for an amazing deal of $129. As crowded as it got, they never hesitated in showing the magpul accessories I was looking at. To top it all off, they only charged me for the DROS for both rifles and no PPT fees (saved me $10) and it was offered and given, not asked.

So I go over to the gunshow and saw the same Magpul stuff for a few dollars less than Riflegear, I opted to hold off and buy them when my 10 days are up at Riflegear... they just won a customer. I don't mind paying a few dollars more (and it's not a lot), this place is very competitive, for instance the same Spikes OLL was $179 at the show LOL.

The guys are professional and nice, something a lot of the gun show folks can learn

Shooter9696
01-31-2010, 1:03 AM
I buy in person
- When I'm buying a complete firearm
- need to double check color
- when the item is cheap

I buy online
- To save $ on tax
- To save money on price
- When there are enough items to offset the cost of shipping
- When I have time to wait
- When it isn't in stock nearby
- When the items are known... ie: Hogue black ar15 grip, etc... the basics

Cokebottle
01-31-2010, 1:18 AM
Guys... the OP is asking Riflegear specifically if there is an advantage to buying in store or from THEIR web site.

Personally, it would cost me more than shipping to drive down there for an order.... their highest shipping rate is only like $10 from $250-$500, and it's free above $500. It would cost me about $15-$20 in gas unless I take the bike.

But the advantage of in-store is I can hide the purchase in the truck/garage and sneak it in when the wife isn't looking... I don't have that kind of control over the UPS guy :D (just kidding, she usually goes with me).
- To save $ on tax
This is actually illegal.
You are supposed to claim your tax-free purchases on your CA income tax form. It's never been enforced, but the way the state is scrounging for money, it would not surprise me if they pulled an audit on a good number of people who reported "0" for non-taxed purchases.

There are two situations where California residents are exempt from reporting out of state purchases... if the seller collects CA tax (and I've encountered this from time to time), or if sales tax is paid on the purchase at the seller... IE: If you buy something from a seller in Arizona and he charges sales tax as if it were a FTF transaction.

Riflegear
02-02-2010, 9:53 AM
and as of last week or so, this absolutely gorgeous custom Noveske build going for 2500. Could you guys please post a couple pics of it with a build list? I'm trying to talk my buddy into buying it for his first gun. Words simply dont do it justice though. All the tan on it was so tastefully done, and very well matched. Which sling was that? I thought it was an MS2 but the color was too nice.

Sorry that we didn't get back to you sooner on this one. Must have missed it!

I'll try to get some more pics online, but here's the build list:

Upper:

Noveske 16" stainless Recon upper (W/Smith Vortex)
Troy FDE front HK-style flip sight
Troy FDE rear flip sight
Magpul FDE AFG
Magpul FDE ladder's custom-cut for fit

Lower:

Noveske N4 lower receiver
Stag LPK
Raddlock in FDE
Magpul FDE UBR Stock
Magpul FDE MIAD Basic kit
Magpul FDE MOE Trigger Guard
Magpul FDE 10/20 magazine with FDE Ranger plate

And then to top it all off, we added a couple of VLTOR QD Sling swivels and a Magpul FDE MS2 sling. So you weren't seeing things!

onequickshift
02-23-2010, 8:44 AM
get em in some riflegear tank tops and some riflegear booty shorts

I'd buy those for myself! Do they sell those?

onequickshift
02-23-2010, 8:53 AM
I'd say go in, in person. My husbands dealt with them countless times, after crappy experiances with other local stores, he loves their service and ethic, as with everyone, we have been hurting with cash, there was no pressure to buy, or show boating of products, no claims of them being better than ANYONE and EVERYONE local.

My Hubby decided to buy a basic pieced together AR to use and familiarize himself with its use. We have had other priorities to budget in, but we still intend to go to them for his DD Rifle, and I am looking at a LWRCi from them, its just taking us so much longer then we thought, to save for them.

But good things to all, who wait.

And these guys? Have earned our business, might take a while to make those big purchases, but def? Will go to them! They put customers before ego. I love that.

Purchasing online might be easier for you though, considering all the leg work and traveling most I hear about doing, just to buy from them. That says alot when people come from all around, and far away, just to buy stuff from them.

So online, or in person? You can't go wrong with buying from them! Buy with confidence!