PDA

View Full Version : Why would you cary an Open Carry Unloaded?

The Crunch
12-25-2009, 10:13 AM
I just read the story of the 74 year old guy who was arrested for Open Carry. My first question is "why would you carry an unloaded handgun." I'm not getting into the issue of being able/allowed to carry. I am all for 2nd Am. But what good is an unloaded handgun?

I was at a gunsmith the is past week in San Bernardino and this guy walked with his handgun exposed on his hip, unloaded with no magazine!! What would he do if he was confronted by a criminal? Well i guess he could "act" as if it were loaded and scare the criminal. Is it just the point of carrying a gun that people carry an unloaded gun?

If it were up to me, all law biding citizens would be armed! Opinions and comments?

Ballistic043
12-25-2009, 10:16 AM
you're obviously only focusing on the physical aspect of having the gun, and not the psychological one.

first of all, people who carry unloaded guns legally, also usually carry ammo in a mag pouch or pocket.
dont think that most people just waltz around with unloaded guns and no means to load them. that would be the criminals bad judgement.

2nd, its a deterrent. perps think twice about committing a crime when they know law abiding citizens are armed and in their presense.

i am a firm believer in "having it and not needing it" As opposed to the flipside.

The Crunch
12-25-2009, 10:18 AM
I obviously NOT...i said "well i guess he could act as if it were loaded and scare the criminal." So i was looking at the physical and psychological aspects.

CSACANNONEER
12-25-2009, 10:19 AM
First of all, if properly trained and well practiced, it takes almost no time to draw a weapon and load it. Secondly, most of these guys are making a political statement. Be VERY aware that you should not do this unless you are very familular with both California and Federal laws pertaining to this.

professorhard
12-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Nice title. Makes alot of sense

Ballistic043
12-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I obviously NOT...i said "well i guess he could act as if it were loaded and scare the criminal." So i was looking at the physical and psychological aspects.

well then your questions are irrelevant as you already know the answers.

Fate
12-25-2009, 10:22 AM
It's completely LEGAL to carry an empty mag inside the magwell of the gun. Can't easily tell a gun's unloaded then. It appears loaded. Bad guys aren't usually gamblers and are probably gonna assume you're LEO and move on. If not, loading a loaded mag doesn't take that long with practice. Nobody open carrys an unloaded gun with no ammo on them.

However, carrying with obviously empty magwell is asking to get jacked IMO.

The Crunch
12-25-2009, 10:26 AM
well then your questions are irrelevant as you already know the answers.

If you read what i wrote, you would know I was seeking "opinions/comments."

Ballistic043
12-25-2009, 10:28 AM
that was another thing i was going to hash on. when was the last time any of us saw someone open carrying, and the thought of LEO/Mil/Fed didnt come to mind, at least a tiny bit? Nobody is saying you should act like one, but sometimes the assumptions of another person can work in your favor.

The Crunch
12-25-2009, 10:33 AM
However, carrying with obviously empty magwell is asking to get jacked IMO.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%

Merle
12-25-2009, 10:43 AM
As a prior poster stated, you can simply draw and load a magazine.

An unloaded sidearm with magazines at the ready is a lot better position to be in than a person who is completely unarmed. If the threat is right in front of you, draw a knife. If the threat is further away, you will have the required 2 seconds to draw and load.

wildhawker
12-25-2009, 10:46 AM
I think this question, and countless variations on the theme, have been asked and answered more times than I can count. Use the search tool here (http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=018149931542195181678:pzxbzjzh1zk) for three-character searching ("UOC"); I'm sure you'll find it helpful in resolving your inquiry.

SteveH
12-25-2009, 10:57 AM
To have a cool story to tell online.

Ballistic043
12-25-2009, 11:11 AM
However, carrying with obviously empty magwell is asking to get jacked IMO.

metaphorically or physically jacked? if your worrying about geting your gun stolen, its called a Retention-Holster.

SP1200
12-25-2009, 12:54 PM
If one were to open a CGF coffee shop in downtown Oakland, and everyone inside was UOC, I guarantee it would never get robbed!

CSACANNONEER
12-25-2009, 1:03 PM
If one were to open a CGF coffee shop in downtown Oakland, and everyone inside was UOC, I guarantee it would never get robbed!

With the bussiness owner's written permission, all the customers could LOC instead.

cal3gunner
12-25-2009, 1:23 PM

pullnshoot25
12-25-2009, 1:24 PM
I just read the story of the 74 year old guy who was arrested for Open Carry. My first question is "why would you carry an unloaded handgun." I'm not getting into the issue of being able/allowed to carry. I am all for 2nd Am. But what good is an unloaded handgun?

I was at a gunsmith the is past week in San Bernardino and this guy walked with his handgun exposed on his hip, unloaded with no magazine!! What would he do if he was confronted by a criminal? Well i guess he could "act" as if it were loaded and scare the criminal. Is it just the point of carrying a gun that people carry an unloaded gun?

If it were up to me, all law biding citizens would be armed! Opinions and comments?

You nearsighted gun owner, you!

I shall direct you to my first ever blog post. (http://caopencarry.blogspot.com/2008/07/hello-everyone.html)

bodger
12-25-2009, 1:27 PM
This going to be another broken record, Nate.

Better call the ' 70's and see if they want it back. :D:D:D

(I say this in humor, not baiting you):)

pullnshoot25
12-25-2009, 1:38 PM
This going to be another broken record, Nate.

Better call the ' 70's and see if they want it back. :D:D:D

(I say this in humor, not baiting you):)

LOL I know it is in jest, I had a good laugh just now and relieved some more congestion :)

bodger
12-25-2009, 1:56 PM
LOL I know it is in jest, I had a good laugh just now and relieved some more congestion :)

Nothing like laughter as an expectorant. :D

pullnshoot25
12-25-2009, 2:15 PM
Nothing like laughter as an expectorant. :D

YAY!

romeomikelima
12-25-2009, 3:33 PM

pullnshoot25
12-25-2009, 3:45 PM
It's political... to stand up for what you believe in. Little to no practical use.

Personally, I wouldn't do it but I won't knock people who do... it's still a free country (or so they say). Me, I'd much prefer CCW.

Tool much?

romeomikelima
12-25-2009, 3:48 PM

Asmodai
12-25-2009, 3:57 PM
If I were single had the time and inclination to be hassled by LEOs on a regular basis I would do this.

My reasons would be

#1) Self Protection

#2) To exercise a legal right

#3) To get others used to seeing such things, because it is legal and a right

People need to be educated that a sidearm carried in the open in NOT a reason to call the police.

cbn620
12-25-2009, 11:07 PM

Are you taking into consideration that carrying an unloaded gun is usually done so with the accompaniment of a loaded magazine separated from the firearm and also carried openly in an exposed magazine pouch opposite of the firearm? All the UOC guys I've seen don't just carry an unloaded gun...they carry an unloaded gun with separate ammo that takes all of 3 seconds to load for even the clumsiest of lummoxes.

HUTCH 7.62
12-25-2009, 11:14 PM
I was thinking of OCing in Sunnyvale but figured I did'nt have enough dough to pay a Lawyer to get me out of trouble.