PDA

View Full Version : Bringing a Pistol into Oregon

sfpcservice
12-25-2009, 7:53 AM
Hey Folks,

Does anyone know how Oregon law works when having a concealable pistol in your vehicle? I don't have an Oregon CCW so how do I need to store it? I searched through some State Law but couldn't find anything similar to 12031 (Loaded), they do have outlaw concealed carry without a permit. Specifically, does the weapon have to be loaded to be considered a concealed weapon? Do I have to lock it as if I were in CA without a CCW?

Thanks to all and Merry Christmas!

NiteQwill
12-25-2009, 8:06 AM
You must have the gun visible if it loaded in your vehicle. It cannot be concealed. Otherwise, it is a misdemeanor.

sfpcservice
12-25-2009, 8:30 AM
So if it is unloaded it doesn't have to be locked like here in Cali?

NiteQwill
12-25-2009, 9:02 AM
So if it is unloaded it doesn't have to be locked like here in Cali?

Not necessarily locked up, but loaded or unloaded, it cannot be concealed and easily in reach. Basically, if you're going to leave it unloaded, put it in the trunk. If loaded, keep in plain view.

hoffmang
12-25-2009, 10:16 AM
I'd suggest you read this for the current state of the law in Oregon: http://www.oregonfirearms.org/alertspage/12.14.08%20alert.html

However, you'll always be safe if you lock an unloaded handgun in a case due to Federal laws that preempt state laws when you're traveling in that mode.

-Gene