View Full Version : BOF Publishes Microstamping Regs, Public Hearing Date

12-24-2009, 7:44 PM
DOJ has modified the Microstamping regulations since they submitted them to OAL. The now proposed regulations are available on their website (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/index.php#micro).

A key sentence has now appeared in this version:

§ 4075 (f) Certification and approval of an alternative method of microstamping technology by the Attorney General shall only be made by notice via regulations adopted by the Attorney General for purposes of implementing the alternative method of microstamping technology.

The public hearing date will be 9 a.m. on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 at the Department of Water Resources auditorium located at 1416 9th Street, Sacramento, California. Comments on the regs are due by 5PM February 17, 2010.

The proposal is not too bad for BOF standards but CGF and the rest of the coalition will certainly have some comments.

12-24-2009, 8:35 PM
Gene for us dumbies what does this mean? I thought that whole micro stamping deal was not going to happen? Yes no maybe?

12-24-2009, 8:44 PM
I was watching " Gangland " on the history channel and one of the gangmembers made reference to preferring/using a revolver since it leaves no evidence at the scene ( Spent casing )

Seems the gangs know whats going on and I'm sure microstamping is going to help solve more crimes & stop the shootings..right:icon_bs:

12-24-2009, 8:49 PM
A revolver might not leave a spent casing at the scene, but it still leaves a bullet there... :p

12-24-2009, 9:19 PM
Gene for us dumbies what does this mean? I thought that whole micro stamping deal was not going to happen? Yes no maybe?

DOJ BOF is putting in place the regulations needed if a method of microstamping unencumbered by patents should ever become available. However, there will be another notice and comment period just like this if anyone ever attempts to get a method of microstamping adopted. Until then, nothing changes and this just explains how someone would apply to have thier method of unencumbered microstamping reviewed to see if it is worth going to the public comment/regulatory process.

Shorter version: This is much ado about nothing. I'm willing to bet we have the Roster found unconstitutional per Peņa far before someone submits a technology unencumbered by patent. Peņa effectively overturns the Roster and microstamping when we win.

12-24-2009, 9:26 PM
Get em' Gene ;)

12-24-2009, 9:34 PM
Get em' Gene ;)
+1 on that, take 'em down.