PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Background Story in Chicago Magazine

hoffmang
12-24-2009, 8:39 PM
An excellent background story was just published in Chicago Magazine about Otis McDonald and the other plaintiffs. Head over to ChicagoGunCase.com (http://www.chicagoguncase.com/) for the article (http://www.chicagoguncase.com/2009/12/22/chicago-magazine-profile/).

It's difficult to excerpt, but the Zinio version is readable.

-Gene

wildhawker
12-24-2009, 8:54 PM
A well-written article, indeed; glad to see this sort of journalism on the subject coming out of the windy city.

8-Ball
12-24-2009, 9:14 PM
Great read... thanks Gene...

MP301
12-24-2009, 9:42 PM
couldnt read it on that site....anyone care to somehow post it here?

aileron
12-24-2009, 9:52 PM
Thanks Gene, nicely balanced article; I'm impressed.

Paladin
12-24-2009, 10:57 PM
For me, my "Christmas present" won't be arriving until late June 2010. Although that is a wait, I'm willing since it is a gift that should keep giving for many decades.

Electricboy
12-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Good article, thanks for the link. When is the due date for the briefs against McDonald? I have read most of the others. Just trying to stay informed.

hoffmang
12-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Good article, thanks for the link. When is the due date for the briefs against McDonald? I have read most of the others. Just trying to stay informed.

Our side's opening brief and Amici are in. Chicago files it's brief 12/30 if I recall correctly and Chicago's Amici have 10 days after that. Our side's reply is due in February and that will end the briefing. Oral arguments are 3/2.

-Gene

GoodEyeSniper
12-25-2009, 2:25 PM
For me, my "Christmas present" won't be arriving until late June 2010. Although that is a wait, I'm willing since it is a gift that should keep giving for many decades.

What happens then? I haven't been around for awhile.

edit: nevermind, hopefully incorporation, right?

Mulay El Raisuli
12-26-2009, 5:48 AM
And now we know what the opposition's approach to the matter will be.

They seem to be going with the "Living Constitution" approach, in that they'll be arguing that what the Founding Fathers thought was "fundamental" shouldn't matter now.

I just LOVE that kind of thinking. It means we're going to win!

The Raisuli

Kharn
12-26-2009, 6:09 AM
"Sure, its so racist anyone that reads it is amazed, but Cruikshank was right"?

cdtx2001
12-26-2009, 6:52 AM
Man, I hope the good guys win in this.

What will our rulers say next if we don't win? "Well, the 5th amendment doesn't apply to you so you'd better speak up. And also, the 4th doesn't apply either and we're taking your stuff, all of it."

yellowfin
12-26-2009, 8:06 AM
Man, I hope the good guys win in this.

What will our rulers say next if we don't win? "Well, the 5th amendment doesn't apply to you so you'd better speak up. And also, the 4th doesn't apply either and we're taking your stuff, all of it."
Then my response is the 16th Amendment doesn't apply, nor the supremacy clause or commerce clause, nor the executive branch. If they want to play cut outs with the Constitution, we can too.

wash
12-26-2009, 1:33 PM
Don't bother trying to read the article with an iPod touch, it won't work.

I found a radio interview with the author and it was good. She started as a woman who never owned or handled a gun. After being uninterested and by default anti-gun, she interviewed the plaintiffs, looked at the crime statistics around gun control laws and now seems to be leaning toward the belief that legally owned guns are not a problem and our constitutional rights are more important than the city of Chicago's desire to ban handguns.

KylaGWolf
12-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Gene I liked the article. Thanks for sharing. I am so hoping we get a win with McDonald. I would love to see a lot of the BS we are facing go away soon. I posted something on another thread that makes me really wanting this to get done and over with. Since it was one of those days my hand wasn't cooperating and made me think about how our winning will make things easier for me to use a handgun. .

hoffmang
12-27-2009, 12:42 AM
I found a radio interview with the author and it was good.

Is this the interview you listened to?
http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/Content.aspx?audioID=38932

-Gene

okimreloaded
12-27-2009, 11:06 AM
is it true that mcdonald is asking the supreme court to overturn the cruikshank ruling thereby providing incorporation for all of our rights, not just the r2kba?

Kharn
12-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Yes, Gura (McDonald's lawyer) has asked the Supreme Court to reverse Cruikshank.

yellowfin
12-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Perhaps we can then finally start using Cruikshank against all the antis who will scream against overruling it, to out them for what they really are?

okimreloaded
12-27-2009, 6:54 PM
Sweet. They'd have to be crazy not to overturn cruikshank. PLUS I think the feds are power hungry right now and want to take away state's rights which could be worse for us a little later on.