PDA

View Full Version : Making sure I understand on the old long guns

PanchoVilla
12-24-2009, 11:46 AM
So Big 5 has a bunch of the mosin-nagants. I was gonna pick one up and was considering one for a gift. I know I have to DROS it when I buy it since they are FFL, but I can put two on the same form right? And then when I give it I don't even have to PPT it do I since its over 50 years old long gun?

Argonaut
12-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Sounds right.......

littlejake
12-24-2009, 12:13 PM
So Big 5 has a bunch of the mosin-nagants. I was gonna pick one up and was considering one for a gift. I know I have to DROS it when I buy it since they are FFL, but I can put two on the same form right? And then when I give it I don't even have to PPT it do I since its over 50 years old long gun?

Section 12078 (t) (2) permits the transfer of greater than 50 year old long guns on an infrequent basis to in state residents that are not a prohibited person.

You should read the section as I am not a lawyer.

There might be an argument that the DROS of the rifle, then immediately giving it to another person is a strawman purchase. A point to consider.

EOD Guy
12-25-2009, 6:39 AM
Section 12078 (t) (2) permits the transfer of greater than 50 year old long guns on an infrequent basis to in state residents that are not a prohibited person.

You should read the section as I am not a lawyer.

There might be an argument that the DROS of the rifle, then immediately giving it to another person is a strawman purchase. A point to consider.

Legitimate gifts are not considered a straw purchase. It is perfectly legal to purchase a firearm and then immediately give it to someone as a gift.

There should be no argument on the matter. Just read the instructions for question 1 on the 4473.