PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan lower - Brownells Acraglas is the epoxy!

Benellishooter
12-07-2005, 4:58 AM
The Vulcan guy (Ben) told me the epoxy they use is Acraglas. Some day, when I visit my brother in Oregon, I plan to remove the factory mag and pin in a Bushmaster 10 round mag.

Anyone have any tips (not previously mentioned) on how to best remove acraglas?

It looks like Vulcan is now epoxying the mag to the mag well and epoxying the mag catch bolt before the screw it on. My mag release functions fine. It just will not drop the mag due to all the epoxy.

(Not intending to brake any laws. I will do it out of state and replace with a non-detachable 10 round mag)

tenpercentfirearms
12-07-2005, 5:27 AM
I thought as long as you remove the pistol grip first, you could remove the magazine without breaking any laws.

-hanko
12-07-2005, 5:50 AM
I'd call brownells & ask. Most epoxies respond to heat & a solvent like mek or acetone (do the solvent outside, stay upwind, and wear gloves).

-hanko

Benellishooter
12-07-2005, 7:07 AM
Tenpercent, I think you are right. My mistake.

Pablo
12-07-2005, 10:27 AM
The Vulcan guy (Ben) told me the epoxy they use is Acraglas. Some day, when I visit my brother in Oregon, I plan to remove the factory mag and pin in a Bushmaster 10 round mag.

It looks like Vulcan is now epoxying the mag to the mag well and epoxying the mag catch bolt before the screw it on. My mag release functions fine. It just will not drop the mag due to all the epoxy.

(Not intending to brake any laws. I will do it out of state and replace with a non-detachable 10 round mag)

You're right. They now start putting some epoxy on the mag and mag well. The good news is that they stop doing it on the mag release.
Check out the pics....:D

blacklisted
12-07-2005, 11:28 AM
You're right. They now start putting some epoxy on the mag and mag well. The good news is that they stop doing it on the mag release.
Check out the pics....:D

Why are they doing this? The least they could do was put in a better mag if they were going to make it permanent...

Benellishooter
12-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Here is how I plan to remove the Vulcan mag and replace it with a Bushmaster 10 round mag (fixed in place)

1. Push mag release in as far as possible on the right and dremel it off on the left side.
2. Remove floorplate, mag, spring, and follower.
3. Put lower in a plastic bag and freeze overnight.
4. Use a C clamp or vise to compress the magazine along the sides. Hopefully, this will break the mag free from the epoxy. Maybe use circuit chiller spray to lower the temperature further.
5. Use a rubber hammer to break the mag free on the ends.
6. Refreeze and scrape of remaining epoxy with a hard plastic device.

I am waiting my 10 days before pickup. I was not able to tell if the new versions are pinned too. Obviously, this would add and extra step or two.

Any suggestions for improvement?

blacklisted
12-07-2005, 11:49 AM
If you take "canned air" and turn it upside down, it will spray out large amounts of EXTREMELY cold liquid. I wonder if that would work?

Pablo
12-07-2005, 5:53 PM
Here is how I plan to remove the Vulcan mag and replace it with a Bushmaster 10 round mag (fixed in place)

1. Push mag release in as far as possible on the right and dremel it off on the left side.

I am waiting my 10 days before pickup. I was not able to tell if the new versions are pinned too. Obviously, this would add and extra step or two.

Any suggestions for improvement?

Disregard the yellow arrows on the pic. I was just using the same pic to show one of my friends some of the machine marks on the receiver.

Back on topic. Vulcan hasn't stopped pinning their magazines (Check the attachment). The quality of the pic is not that good but you can see (red arrow) the head of the roll pin.

About the magazine, at first I was going to replace it but after checking the inside, I realized that it should work properly. One of the issues with Vulcans magazines has been that they don't feed right. If I remember correctly Brian at ar15.com found that Vulcan actually drilled the hole for the roll pin so far that it was sticking inside the magazine. Having as a consequence the follower hitting the roll pin and getting stuck in this area.

I'm glad that Vulcan noticed this problem and most important that they fix it.

One last thing, before trying to Dremel the magazine release, try first to unscrew it. Vulcan didn't use any epoxy on mine. So basically all what I did is to push in (as far as possible) the magazine release and then just unscrew it (counter-clockwise).

glock_this
12-13-2005, 5:07 PM
One of the issues with Vulcans magazines has been that they don't feed right. If I remember correctly Brian at ar15.com found that Vulcan actually drilled the hole for the roll pin so far that it was sticking inside the magazine. Having as a consequence the follower hitting the roll pin and getting stuck in this area.

I was told recently that epoxying in the mag and making it a solid fixture keeps the mag from rocking back and forth slightly when in use. GB Sales claims that their pinned version allows this slight needed movement to decrease feeding and jamming issues.

BUT, the bummer to theirs is that they weld their receivers closed shut. so, you could not really modify it if the laws change or you move while VULCAN does not do this - keeping the hope alive to modify in the future and giving the visual appeal of having a magazine hanging down, but more feeding issues.

BUT BUT I have not been hearing good things about the VULCAN stuff. I am new to this so cannot comment myself, just passing on what I keep reading elsewhere.

-hanko
12-14-2005, 5:05 AM
I was told recently that epoxying in the mag and making it a solid fixture keeps the mag from rocking back and forth slightly when in use. GB Sales claims that their pinned version allows this slight needed movement to decrease feeding and jamming issues.

BUT BUT I have not been hearing good things about the VULCAN stuff. I am new to this so cannot comment myself, just passing on what I keep reading elsewhere.
2 things...One, I use a regular lower with removeable mag, the mag does not "rock back and forth slightly when in use". When an AR mag is locked in place, bullet noses line up exactly where they're supposed to be. Rocking is not a part of the AR design.

Two, Vulcan/Hesse does not posess the quality reputation that most other receiver makers have. Negative comments regarding Vulcan definitely predate any fixed/rocking receivers for the PRK. An AR without bells and whistles usually runs $750-$800 new in a free state, Colt excluded.

-hanko