PDA

View Full Version : Why are you armed?

HskrVern
12-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I seldom receive moments of clarity but one happened tonight. I realized for the first time in years that I am happy and calm. Why? for the first time in years I have the capability of defending myself and family (wife and four kids under 8). I believe it is the duty of everyone who is lawfully able to bear arms to do so, not only that but to be proficent in marksmanship and the appropriate use of force. Admiral Yamamato said it best with his quote "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass". I have only had to draw my side arm once and I sincerely hope to never have to again, but if I do It will be only be in defense and I hope God takes mercy on that soul, because I shoot for center mass, and I rarely miss.

bodger
12-23-2009, 10:18 PM
How did you regain the capability to defend yourself, if you don't mind my asking. What precluded it for years.

I'm armed because I was raised around men and women who were proficient with firearms and used them frequently for hunting and recreation. My mother was a deputy sheriff.

And I like the feeling, as you described, of being able to defend my family and myself if necessary.

And, guns are fun!

I love that quote from Yamamoto. I hope that fact remains true, and our enemies continue to have that same respect for America.

ST5MF
12-23-2009, 10:23 PM
I seldom receive moments of clarity but one happened tonight. I realized for the first time in years that I am happy and calm. Why? for the first time in years I have the capability of defending myself and family (wife and four kids under 8). I believe it is the duty of everyone who is lawfully able to bear arms to do so, not only that but to be proficent in marksmanship and the appropriate use of force. Admiral Yamamato said it best with his quote "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass". I have only had to draw my side arm once and I sincerely hope to never have to again, but if I do It will be only be in defense and I hope God takes mercy on that soul, because I shoot for center mass, and I rarely miss.

When the "WOLF" comes a knocking he needs to be put down like the dirty dog he IS!

Rob454
12-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Why am I armed?
Because I want to be.

professorhard
12-23-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm armed because there's nothin better to do.

HskrVern
12-23-2009, 10:28 PM
How did you regain the capability to defend yourself, if you don't mind my asking. What precluded it for years.

I'm armed because I was raised around men and women who were proficient with firearms and used them frequently for hunting and recreation. My mother was a deputy sheriff.

And I like the feeling, as you described, of being able to defend my family and myself if necessary.

And, guns are fun!

I love that quote from Yamamoto. I hope that fact remains true, and our enemies continue to have that same respect for America.

Honestly I knew when I enlisted I gave up some Constitutional rights, willingly. I didn't know until recently that I could have firearms in base housing. After I found out that I could I had registered my shot gun and four rifles on base and since I live literally right next door to a controlled entry point, and have a mentor that works security, I told him that if anything ever happens (think "Red Dawn") I'd be there Johnny on the spot to be a speed bump.

8-Ball
12-23-2009, 10:32 PM
During the Katrina aftermath we were watching the news and my wife looked up at me and said, "We need a gun; the police can't protect us."

Started doing some research and discovered the sorry state of the second amendment.

It is our duty and right to arm ourselves. Anything less is an affront to the Bill of Rights and to the generations that come after us.

Python2
12-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Why am I armed? Its the same reason why you buy insurance, except my arm only cost me one time.

pullnshoot25
12-23-2009, 10:38 PM
I am armed because I have an innate (hehe, that word has my name in it) fascination with firearms, one that I have had since I was 4-5 years old. You might even say it is an obsession. No real reason why, I was just born that way I guess. While all the other kids watched Pokemon, I watched Daniel Boone.

I also know that since the gun is the modern sword, it is wise and prudent to own one (or more) and be prepared to use them at a moment's notice (speaking of which, I need to adjust the sights on my Saiga...)

Roadrunner
12-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I'll simply recite the old cliche, "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

bodger
12-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Honestly I knew when I enlisted I gave up some Constitutional rights, willingly. I didn't know until recently that I could have firearms in base housing. After I found out that I could I had registered my shot gun and four rifles on base and since I live literally right next door to a controlled entry point, and have a mentor that works security, I told him that if anything ever happens (think "Red Dawn") I'd be there Johnny on the spot to be a speed bump.

Glad you're armed and ready once again. And thank you for your service.

One of my favorite things about the military was the outstanding weapons we were allowed to have. Mostly overseas, of course.

nemisis1400
12-23-2009, 10:56 PM
because "when the seconds count, the cops are minutes away". that and its part of the regular manly inclination to shoot stuff, eat meat, and see a pretty woman naked

BigJoe
12-23-2009, 11:11 PM
i'm armed and stay profecient at it because of every story i hear about police officers firing 16 rounds from 10ft away and hitting a suspect once in the left leg. being overseas and seeing who is out there that really want to kill me and everything i stand for. i FIRMLY believe in making sure i am that much better then those who would do my family, friends, and fellow citizens harm, even those that want to disarm me... ****ing liberals

racky
12-23-2009, 11:18 PM
i'm armed because i don't trust people

BigJoe
12-23-2009, 11:19 PM
and that ^^^^^

Trojan Bayonet
12-23-2009, 11:31 PM
I am armed because I caught robbers in my house. I did not have a firearm at the time. I caught them with a SUV in my garage and they nearly ran me over. came -that- close to taking a nap in a body bag. There will be no second time for idiots who invade my space, steal my possessions, and threaten my life.

I am armed because I am a survivor. I elect not to be a victim, a vassal, or a slave. There are those who are willing to use force to subjugate you to their whims and wants. But free people must be willing to use force to preserve their freedoms and possessions.

Anyone who tells you or me otherwise can go F*** off IMHO.

bombadillo
12-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Because today is as scary as a hundred years ago and will be as scary a hundred years later. I'm armed because there are people out there with ill intent that would try to rob, harm, rape, murder my wife at the drop of a hat if they had half a chance. I'm armed because its my constitutional right to be so and am willing to express it. I'm armed because I really enjoy making tiny little groups on paper and gee, shooting things always makes my day better.

odysseus
12-23-2009, 11:43 PM
I am armed for a number of reasons, from the fact I have fun shooting to the fact I like to be prepared to defend myself. And seriously, it is primarily because I have fun and enjoy shooting.

However in all honesty, I always was going to. In my family when you come of age, every man has their own. Not having firearms would be weird. So growing up and shooting, I always knew I would be for life.

joelogic
12-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Because I can. I bought a 870 on my 18th birthday, a USP on my 21st and an OLL once I learned about them.

maddoggie13
12-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Because it is my God given right....:rockon:

johnthomas
12-24-2009, 12:45 AM
I live in Salinas. This year we have had 29 murders so far. We have 160.000 people here. Per capita, one of the highest cites for murders in the U.S.
Then there are the lesser crimes, robberies, assaults, home invasions. We are fast becoming the gang capital of California. I am armed so My family and I will not become victims. The funny things is, being armed doesn't make me feel powerful or invincible, it just makes me feel like I'm evenly matched.

Nodaedul
12-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Strangely enough the cold steel against my skin gives me warm fuzzies.

r08ert209cali
12-24-2009, 6:04 AM
It is a tool.
We use tools.
I have lots of different tools for different things.
They all fix something.

liketoshoot
12-24-2009, 6:16 AM
Because it easier then carrying a police officer.

NSR500
12-24-2009, 6:35 AM
Because I'm Mad and I'm not going to take it anymore? :confused:

CDFingers
12-24-2009, 6:46 AM
In all the years I've owned guns, I've only picked 'em up to check on noises in the night a couple of times. It always turned out to be raccoons or our pets making noise.

Why am I armed? Because I can be. It's a good thing, Martha.

CDFingers

cdtx2001
12-24-2009, 6:50 AM
I'm armed because it is my right to do so. If I do not exercise my rights, there are those that think I do not need them and will want to take them away.

I do not want the ones I hold dear nor myself to be a victim.

I do not trust that our protectors can protect me at all times in all place.

I enjoy hunting and target shooting.

My wife once asked me "Why do you have so many guns?" to which I answered "Why do you have so many shoes?" She started rattling off the different kinds of shoes she had and what outfits they matched with (blah blah shoes, blah blah pants, blah blah heels, blah blah dress). I then told her "Well, you don't take a 22LR to go deer hunting". The question never has come up again.

rrr70
12-24-2009, 6:50 AM
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory" Jeff Cooper

indetrucks
12-24-2009, 6:53 AM
Because it's my second amendment right...

Bugei
12-24-2009, 7:45 AM
Because life is precious. Humans have proven that you can survive the loss of anything else. Happiness. Freedom. Hope. You can lose all those things and survive.

To hold to life, you have to own and be able to use tools necessary to defending and protecting it. Firearms are top of that list.

just4fun63
12-24-2009, 8:02 AM
Because it is my God given right....:rockon:

because "when the seconds count, the cops are minutes away". that and its part of the regular manly inclination to shoot stuff, eat meat, and see a pretty woman naked

I think the quote from maddoggie13 is the basis of this whole subject. We have a GOD given right to defend ourselves and what is ours.

nemisis1400 hits the nail right on the head to though :D

CitaDeL
12-24-2009, 8:07 AM
I am armed because I recognize that reliance on police for protection is tantamount to accepting socialized welfare. It is our duty to our community to provide for our own defense.

Since police have no obligation to protect individuals from harm- the responsibility for providing security and defense lies with the people, either individually or collectively. If one takes no initiative in providing for themselves- such as obtaining gainful employment and rely solely upon handouts from charities or government, they become a burden on those who contribute. The way I see it, a person who will not provide for themselves a means of defense is no different than those who will not get a job so they can collect food stamps or other welfare.

bodger
12-24-2009, 8:20 AM
I am armed because I recognize that reliance on police for protection is tantamount to accepting socialized welfare. It is our duty to our community to provide for our own defense.

Since police have no obligation to protect individuals from harm- the responsibility for providing security and defense lies with the people, either individually or collectively. If one takes no initiative in providing for themselves- such as obtaining gainful employment and rely solely upon handouts from charities or government, they become a burden on those who contribute. The way I see it, a person who will not provide for themselves a means of defense is no different than those who will not get a job so they can collect food stamps or other welfare.

And the irony is that these municipalities that won't issue CCWs will hand out welfare like it's a constitutional right of the recipient.

But they won't allow qualified people the right to defend themselves.

monaghan
12-24-2009, 8:29 AM
I am armed for the same reason that I have fire extenguishers in my home.

pennys dad
12-24-2009, 8:37 AM
Im armed because I was raised and will die a believer in the Holy Trinity: God, Country and Family and no one will take those away with out a fight.
I am also armed because I enjoy the precision and challenge or the sport of shooting.

The Director
12-24-2009, 8:44 AM
I'm armed because I am the head of my family and as such I have a God given responsibility to protect them and ensure that we never become victims, whether that means defense against thieves, murderers, or tyranny.

CitaDeL
12-24-2009, 8:56 AM
And the irony is that these municipalities that won't issue CCWs will hand out welfare like it's a constitutional right of the recipient.

But they won't allow qualified people the right to defend themselves.

Its worse than that- there are agencies which DO issue LTC (CCW's) who treat licensees as if issuance is a favor and that favor is the only means by which the licensees Constitutional right may be exersized.

Regulation is infringement. Whether it is non-issuance or revocation without cause, its all the same.

BigDogatPlay
12-24-2009, 9:01 AM
I'm armed because I am the head of my family and as such I have a God given responsibility to protect them and ensure that we never become victims, whether that means defense against thieves, murderers, or tyranny.

^^^ This ^^^

I have both the right and the duty to defend myself and my family against anything or any person who would do us harm and to provide for them. No one else has that duty but me. That recreational uses of firearms come along with owning them is a plus, but it is not central. A firearm is the best tool for those jobs.

I am armed, in large part, because of Theodore Roosevelt's maxim....

You never have trouble if you are prepared for it.

Silverback
12-24-2009, 9:05 AM
Read my sig line

bodger
12-24-2009, 9:06 AM
Its worse than that- there are agencies which DO issue LTC (CCW's) who treat licensees as if issuance is a favor and that favor is the only means by which the licensees Constitutional right may be exersized.

Regulation is infringement. Whether it is non-issuance or revocation without cause, its all the same.

Definitely true. Case in point: Sylvester Stallone's CCW issued by LASD, or LAPD, I can't remember which. Ben Afleck too. They are famous, so their lives are more valuable in the eyes of those issuing agencies apparently.

Also, I'm sure there were contributions along thew way.
Sickening.

RickD6023
12-24-2009, 9:11 AM
Because I refuse to be a sheep!

Glock22Fan
12-24-2009, 9:44 AM
Because I can't run faster than a thug with a baseball bat (and don't see why I should even have to consider it).

r08ert209cali
12-24-2009, 9:49 AM
Why did Knights carry swords?

Peaceful John
12-24-2009, 10:14 AM
An armed man cannot be forced to do something against his will. Being armed is the badge of office of a free man.

1911whore
12-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Because it is my right to be armed. Also we all have an ornate human right to protect ourselves and our family against immenent danger and bodily harm.

The Director
12-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Because it is my right to be armed. Also we all have an ornate human right to protect ourselves and our family against immenent danger and bodily harm.

Innate, my friend. You have an innate human right......

gef
12-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Because I can, and it's not the second amendment but it helps, it's a god given right that all men and women have.

SgtDinosaur
12-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Because there are bad people in the world that I may need to shoot. And I like shooting and guns.

AEC1
12-24-2009, 2:47 PM
Because I can be.

romeomikelima
12-24-2009, 2:58 PM

tazmanian devil dog
12-24-2009, 2:59 PM
I'll simply recite the old cliche, "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Amen brother!!!

romeomikelima
12-24-2009, 3:03 PM

Asmodai
12-24-2009, 3:07 PM
During the Katrina aftermath we were watching the news and my wife looked up at me and said, "We need a gun; the police can't protect us."

Guns didn't help too many people in some Parishes, the police were taking them from people in some instances.

After seeing the videos of police confiscating guns from citizens in the aftermath, I dread the decision I would have to make if I found myself in that situation. :(

Asmodai

calnurse
12-24-2009, 3:18 PM

enough said:43:

Vtec44
12-24-2009, 3:19 PM
1. Self defense is a human right.
2. It's patriotic to do so.
3. I don't have 5 minutes to wait for help.
4. I love target shooting.
5. I want to be ready in case of a zombie outbreak.

Legasat
12-24-2009, 3:33 PM
I am armed for the same reason I have several fire extinguishers.

Just in case!

hkusp9c
12-24-2009, 4:41 PM
When I called 911 last time, "they" put me on hold.
When my house and my car were broken into, "they" never caught the dirtbag.
When my cousin got robbed at gunpoint in front of his house, "they" never caught the dirtbag.
When my friend was gunned down cuz he wouldn't give up his car keys, "they" never caught the dirtbag.

I'm armed cuz I'd rather die trying to protect myself and my family when SHTF cuz "they" are never there to protect and serve. "They" are always too busy giving out traffic citations during rush hour.

tazmanian devil dog
12-24-2009, 5:27 PM
I am armed for a few reasons.

1. Because I love firearms, especially ones with historical significance.
2. Because shooting relaxes me and builds my firearms skills.
3. To protect myself and family from those parasitical sons of you know what who roam our streets and prey on the innocent.

GuyW
12-24-2009, 6:30 PM
....because some people just need killin'....

762cavalier
12-24-2009, 6:41 PM
I am armed because they are useful for carrying stuff and they are a handy place to attach hands:p

Seriously I know what kind of freaks and whack jobs stalk the streets and would prefer to have the means to defend myself.

cbn620
12-24-2009, 7:09 PM
Being armed, or at the very least having the right to be armed, is the primary distinction between being a citizen and being a subject. The dividing line is between those who have the ability to defend themselves even if only in pure theory, and those who simply do not.

I don't know if any one thing has brought me to this conclusion. Guns have been around me all my life. I fired my first gun, like many of us, as a young child. I think about the time I was 12 or 13 I started to really get into it. That, and the general outdoors and survival, what I would now days call bushcraft.

When I was a kid if you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, it would be a gunsmith. I've grown up, but I still hold onto that dream that "when I grow up" I'll be a gunsmith.

I guess it just followed naturally that researching and understanding firearms on any technical level would lead me to researching and understanding their purposes. I started getting into philosophy and the liberal arts (particularly logic and rhetoric) in junior or early high school and am now a pretty proficient, albeit self taught, student of political philosophy.

SimpleCountryActuary
12-24-2009, 8:10 PM
Because I like guns. I like rifles. I like carbines. I like pistols. I am also fond of ammo and knifes and swords.

I love BACON!!!

(Sorry. Just thinking about Christmas Breakfast. I so hungry. For BACON!!!)

Don't touch my bacon. You know why. :chris:

Meplat
12-24-2009, 8:27 PM
I go armed for the same reason Sikhs go armed. To defend myself and because it is my duty to defend the weak. I will not be cut down like vermin because I was not prepared. And I will not look on helplessly as some scum shoots down my favorite waitress while robbing the restaurant. I taught my grand children that Actual men take care of women and children. I like to have something more than my bare hands to make that stick.

Seesm
12-24-2009, 8:33 PM
I am armed because it is my right to protect myself and my family. And we all know LEO is only minutes to hours away when you need them NOW...

I Have many more reasons but I feel those two are pretty sound.

woodey
12-24-2009, 8:35 PM
My dick is really short :eek:

GuyW
12-24-2009, 8:59 PM
My dick is really short :eek:

The Brady Bunch is down the street on the left side....

eljBRD
12-24-2009, 9:21 PM
i'm armed because i don't trust people

me too!!!:D

MILLITIAof1
12-24-2009, 9:24 PM
....because some people just need killin'....

best answer so far!

eljBRD
12-24-2009, 9:31 PM
I'm armed because when we first started hunting, we used rocks and sticks. Then we used those same tools to defend ourselves. Nowadays we use guns as tools for hunting and defense. And because I can be, even if it wasn't a constitutional right, BECAUSE IT'S an INALIENABLE RIGHT TO EVERY HUMAN BEING TO DEFEND THEMSELVES!!!:chris:

SJgunguy24
12-25-2009, 1:00 AM
Because i'm an American citizen who chooses to exercise his rights, and my family means more to me then anything else.

technique
12-25-2009, 1:21 AM
To defend my country. To defend my fellow Americans. To defend my family. To defend my neighbors. To defend myself.

Live free, or die trying!

wikidklown
12-25-2009, 1:28 AM
I am armed because I live in a country with a constitution that allows me the "right to keep and bear arms" for the defense of my life and property no matter how the gun banners and haters try to steal that right away from me.
God bless America and Merry Christmas to all!

ZepoL
12-25-2009, 2:01 AM
I am an armed citizen ready to defend those I love. Loving firearms is a plus too.

Who knows how bad a recession like the one which we are in can get to. Here in California, we have our share of imminent natural disasters. Terrorism can strike in any part of our country. We must be prepared for it all.

Katrina was an example that comes to mind. I encourage everyone to read through this story and some of the replies which I found to have interesting points:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1563080/posts

paratroop
12-25-2009, 4:00 AM
it depends on what your definition of being "armed" is. do yall remember how the slaves in early america were kept disarmed? they werent taught to read or write. they were kept ingnorant. heck i dont feel that having a firearm is even sufficient enough to consider yourself "armed"

on the other hand, i "pack heat" to defend me and my family and my stuff and those around me from being screwed by those who wish to do us harm. now here comes the cliche, "god created man, samuel colt made them equal"
a gun is just an equalizer. it puts you on the same playing field as the badguys. merry christmas everybody, my christmas wish is to make california a shall issue state.

E Pluribus Unum
12-25-2009, 4:27 AM
Why? for the first time in years I have the capability of defending myself and family (wife and four kids under 8)..

Your wife is under 8? No wonder you are armed! ;)

armygunsmith
12-25-2009, 6:12 AM
I am armed because I put my life on the line to defend those rights, just like many before me. I have seen first hand what a government can do to it's unarmed citizens. I know that my ability to defend myself helps keep this government in it's place and guarantees that my other constitutionally protected rights may be excercised. When I am armed, one must must intelligently debate me rather than force their will upon me. Finally, because shooting is an entertaining pass time and I Iike functional art.

ErikTheRed
12-25-2009, 9:43 AM
I'm armed because all the dirt-suckin' scumbags are, too. Its interesting that not ANY of the anti-gun legislation that has been passed by the gun-grabbing leftists have done a single thing to make us safer. In fact, I feel more urgency to own/carry a pistol now than ever before. A fact the idiot radicals on the left will NEVER understand--- the only people that pay any attention to gun laws are the people who don't need any gun laws. I'm armed because for every law they pass making crime easier for the criminals, I need one all the more.

calnurse
12-27-2009, 4:01 PM
Because i'm an American citizen who chooses to exercise his rights, and my family means more to me then anything else.

Darn, you beat me in saying this!!!;)

Mayhem
12-27-2009, 5:11 PM
Why am I armed? Because it's my right if not my duty.

six10
12-27-2009, 5:19 PM
Because I learned throwing shoes at an intruder isn't very effective.

run8
12-27-2009, 6:10 PM
Another "because I can answer here".

Blue
12-27-2009, 6:16 PM
im only here for the free donuts.

Meplat
12-27-2009, 6:31 PM
Because it is my duty and responsibility to protect myself and others, and being armed is the best way I know to do that.

SimpleCountryActuary
12-27-2009, 6:45 PM
im only here for the free donuts.

The donuts are just a lure.

First, it's "free" donuts". Then it's "free" coffee. Then it's carrying a 90 pound pack for 20 miles in the hot sun while being called very bad names by hostile individuals.

Keeping and bearing arms is noble. Bearing a ten pound "arm" for twenty miles is a lot of work, and you princesses don't look like you can take it.:mad:

Sorry. I was channeling someone hostile.:p

taloft
12-27-2009, 8:08 PM
When bullets start flying in your direction, you'll quickly realize that a pointy stick isn't going to make the grade.;)

On a more serious note, there are evil people in the world who wish ill upon us all. Someone who would attempt to deny your God given rights is evil. Part of being a responsible citizen is having the ability to defend against these evil people. It is a duty, and doing so is the price of freedom. A firearm is the most efficient tool for the job.

I'll stop here as I see no reason to continue pointing out the obvious. Plus, there is a word limit.:D

Tarn_Helm
12-28-2009, 4:53 PM

In response to the question why I am armed, one can apply both of the two most fundamental kinds of logic: deductive and inductive.

Inductive: All winners of any violent conflict have won only because they were "strong," either physically or through recourse to some tool which either "equalized" the balance of power between the would-be victimizer and the would-be victim or in fact tipped that balance in favor of the would-be victim. Therefore, to enhance the probability that I will prevail in a violent or potentially violent conflict, I appeal to use of the method that has always tended to promote success so far. Use of force is always the only effective method of defeating an opponent whose weapon of choice is physical force rather than some form of communicative appeal to reason, right, or compassion.

Deductive: "It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"--whether one is referring to stashed cash, a seat belt, or a six month supply of water, food, fuel, and hard currency. This logic applies a fortiori to firearms and ammunition. The reason why this truism is so often repeated is that it is true.

tombinghamthegreat
12-28-2009, 9:32 PM
Because they are dangerous people out there, whether it is private individuals or government officials.

The Director
12-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Because all you guys are armed, and that scares me....:p