PDA

View Full Version : Owning land in a national park?

Grakken
12-23-2009, 4:51 PM
So I have a buddy who has told me that he/his dad is one of the few people who own some land in a National Park here in California. It sounds strange but I thought I'd ask. If his land, for all intents and purposes is surrounded by a national park, Would that make his land exempt from California state law regarding AW's? Would it be subject to federal law?

ie, if shooting on the land, do you need to worry about bullet buttons/ mags > 10 rounds etc?

GrizzlyGuy
12-23-2009, 5:28 PM
CA laws would still apply. Up here it is common for private property to be intermixed with National Forest land, and often surrounded completely by it. Unfortunately, you don't get to yell "Eureka!" and declare independence from the California Republic.

sfpcservice
12-23-2009, 5:59 PM
I think they should secede from the union and open a machine gun skeet range. They could make a killing!

Legasat
12-23-2009, 7:03 PM
My old boss owns 160 acres in the middle of the Cleveland National Forest. They would not let him run power or telephone lines to his property. He was using solar cells and car batteries 25 years ago. And until cell towers made it out there, he used a ham radio as his phone.

MudCamper
12-23-2009, 7:46 PM
There are literally thousands of private parcels scattered throughout the National Forests system. It wouldn't surprise me if the same were true with the National Parks.

WokMaster1
12-23-2009, 8:01 PM
It would be quite lovely to find out that the piece of land that the Ahwahnee Hotel is on belongs to you.:p

12gauge12
12-23-2009, 9:12 PM
Most land now is basically "leased long term". They can basically take the land back very easy if they wanted to.

MudCamper
12-24-2009, 7:26 AM
Most land now is basically "leased long term". They can basically take the land back very easy if they wanted to.

This is not true. Private parcels within the NF or NP are just that. They are part of the state and county. The owner's deed is recorded at the local county recorder just like any other lot. As long as you pay your property taxes, nobody is going to take your land.

davescz
12-24-2009, 8:10 AM
This is not true. Private parcels within the NF or NP are just that. They are part of the state and county. The owner's deed is recorded at the local county recorder just like any other lot. As long as you pay your property taxes, nobody is going to take your land.

The supreme court of jesters has invalidated your statement. Kehoe, ruling. the government pigs can sieze your land for economic reasons.

the only thing protecting your right to own anything is your ability for self defense. loose the guns and the govenment will take all they want. With combined tax rates near 50% now, just wait till the government decides it wants to double its "income".

GuyW
12-24-2009, 9:30 AM

Lots of true stories about the Forest Service harrassing property owners in an attempt to drive them out. Also, emminent domain can be used to relieve property owners of their land....

jwb28
12-24-2009, 9:47 AM
Is it in LNP by chance? I know there is some private land in that park. My family owns a cabin just outside the park that is surrounded by NF, Fish and Game and some other fed or state land. Ive often half joked that if a fire ever gets started there they would let ours and the few other cabins burn to confiscate, err "buy us out at fair market value".
Get a copy of Range magazine and every month you can read about the Feds *ucking over property owners.

kris
12-24-2009, 10:46 AM
I am an owner of property in a National Park in California.

For the most part, I can do whatever I want there as long as...

1. Nothing I do there negatively impacts National Park land.

2. Follows State and County laws and regulations.

If the property is in California, California laws apply. An unregistered "Assault Weapon" is still what it is. The same as it would be in your house. So yes, bullet buttons and mags still apply.

k.

Aptos
12-24-2009, 11:20 AM
My family owns a cabin in a National Park in California.

I always have to disassemble my guns just to get to the property (no firearms/ 2A Protection within National Parks.)

I get to follow both federal and state laws restricting my right to own firearms.

tazmanian devil dog
12-24-2009, 1:53 PM
It would be quite lovely to find out that the piece of land that the Ahwahnee Hotel is on belongs to you.:p

Isn't the Ahwahnee Hotel just friggin' awesome!!!!!!! I spent a weekend last January there, and all I can say is roaring fireplace (the huge one in the lobby) and two bottles of champagne and my wife. It was awesome!!!!