PDA

View Full Version : Short vs. Long Action.

PanzerAce
12-05-2005, 8:49 PM
Ok, this is sad but true: I dont know the difference b/w a short action bolt action rifle and a long action. Could someone explain the difference to me, and give their opinions on which one is better?

bu-bye
12-05-2005, 9:02 PM
Sure, short actions are for small rounds in length such as the 223 and even the 308 round is in the short action catagory. Long action rounds, well are longer such as the 7mm and 30-06. The bolt must move back far enough to put in the new round. There are many different size bullets so they can't make a new frame for ever bullet so they split them in two. The longer rounds in the long action and the shorter in the short action. Its just a line that someone decided should be there. In truth every action could be made to fit the longest bullet but that would be one long pull if you are just shooting a 223 in an action built for a 7mm Mag.

HEUER
12-05-2005, 9:08 PM
I don't know if I can give you a text book answer, but here we go:

A short bolt action is chambered for a short cased round. 223 or 308 WIN. A long action is chambered in a longer round such as 270 WIN, 30-06, 7MM REM MAG, 280 Rem etc..

A short bolt action has a shorter lock up and cycle time than a long bolt action. This is because the bolt is shorter and does not have to move as far back to extract the spent case or cycle a new cartridge.

If you take a look at a short action the length of the bolt is shorter than a long action bolt.

If you are just starting out with bolt action rifles I can recommend this book:

American Hunting Rifles by Craig Boddington.

There is a lot to learn.

HEUER
12-05-2005, 9:10 PM
In truth every action could be made to fit the longest bullet but that would be one long pull if you are just shooting a 223 in an action built for a 7mm Mag.[/QUOTE]

This is true, but you would be waisting cycle time if you shot 223 through a long action. :)

HEUER
12-05-2005, 9:20 PM
Could someone explain the difference to me, and give their opinions on which one is better?[/QUOTE]

I own both long and short action Remington 700 rifles. The honest truth is that it will depend on application. Most people that will be shooting paper targets will lean towards a short action chambered in 223 or 308 with a 26 inch fluted bull barrel free floated to a H and S precision stock (Choate/Bell and Carlson/ McMillian). This type of rifle is great for the bench, but is generally to heavy for stalking. Better for Varmints. The Remington 700 P or 700 VSSF are good examples of tactical varmint rifles. There are long action rifle set up this way. The now discontinued Remington Sendero and the long action 700 p were, and can be chambered all the way up to 300 WIN MAG. These are also called bean field rifles.

For hunting in Northen California a clean standard barrel in 30-06 with a good 3.5-10x40 will scope will do.

It really depends on what type of shooting you are going to do.

stealthmode
12-05-2005, 9:41 PM
too bad they discontinued the sendero I like mine.

Matt-man
12-05-2005, 9:53 PM
The short action handles .308 Win length cartridges (~2.8").
The long action handles .30-06 length cartridges (~3.3").
But wait, there's more!
The magnum action handles .375 H&H length cartridges (~3.6").
Browning and Winchester are building super-short actions for the WSSM cartridges (~2.3").

Some people call the .30-06 length action "standard" and the .375 H&H length "long."

What's better? Whichever one fits the cartridge you want. There is some truth to the idea that shorter actions are quicker to cycle. Winchester and Browning will tell you that the shorter receiver in a WSSM action is more rigid (and thus more accurate) because it's shorter, but in the hunting guns they're building I don't think it's that big a deal.

Matt-man
12-05-2005, 9:56 PM
Oh yes, shorter actions are a little lighter. That's why you see short actions when the aim is a lightweight rifle (see Rem 700 Ti, Kimber 84). Also, the short mag cartridges (the WSMs and RSAUMs) were built specifically to get long action magnum power (300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, etc) into a short action rifle.

PanzerAce
12-05-2005, 11:13 PM
ok, thanks guys. I guess I thought that they could be used on the same cartridges. Thanks for explaining it guys. as for the type of shooting: inexpensive (.223 or .308) punching holes in paper.

shopkeep
12-06-2005, 12:52 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but I get serious satisfaction out of long action bolts. I love seeing a huge fat hunk of brass jump out the side after working the bolt. When I'm using short bolts I kinda just wanna hide the brass heheheh :) Short bolts always make me feel kinda gimpy.

ohsmily
12-06-2005, 8:27 AM
ok, thanks guys. I guess I thought that they could be used on the same cartridges. Thanks for explaining it guys. as for the type of shooting: inexpensive (.223 or .308) punching holes in paper.

you can use them on the same cartridges in many cases...

Any short action round that fits in a .473" bolt face will fit in a long action with a .473" bolt face. Of course it would have to be chambered for that round as well.

HEUER
12-06-2005, 10:51 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but I get serious satisfaction out of long action bolts. I love seeing a huge fat hunk of brass jump out the side after working the bolt. When I'm using short bolts I kinda just wanna hide the brass heheheh :) Short bolts always make me feel kinda gimpy.

My best friend's Dad is an advid sportsman and has a 338 Remington Ultra Mag, 375 Holland and Holland, and a Ruger M77 MKI in 458 win mag. We take these up to the Circle S in West Petaluma and begin the pain.

The 375 H and H in the Model 70 is probably the nicest bolt rifle I have ever shot (and I am a 700 man). I like it better than my pals 30-378 Weatherby Accumark w/ accubrake.

I have a Sendero in 7MM Rem Mag. Did not have the coin for The Weatherby in 7MM Weatherby Mag Accumark.

338 Remington Ultra Mag is not a pleasant rifle to shoot.

The 458 is great, at 50 yards with open sights. Push more than sharp jab like the 338 Ultra.

Love big bolt guns. Anyone have a Lazzeroni?