PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone and 911

jdberger
12-22-2009, 6:58 PM
I've a couple of cell phones that used to be activated but aren't anymore.

Can I use them for 911 and other emergencies? I seem to recall that I could. I would like to keep one in the bedroom (along with the other cell phone) in case of home invasion/phone lines cut/power outage, etc....

It's a new-ish phone so obselesence isn't much of an issue...

xxdabroxx
12-22-2009, 7:00 PM
try it :43:

i think they are supposed to but i dunno.

JDay
12-22-2009, 7:56 PM
Yes those will work to dial 911 without service.

GammaRei
12-22-2009, 8:12 PM
Yes those will work to dial 911 without service.

Yup.

In the U.S., FCC rules require every telephone that can access the network to be able to dial 9-1-1, regardless of any reason that normal service may have been disconnected (including non-payment) (This only applies to states with a Do Not Disconnect policy in place. Those states must provide a "soft" dial tone service, details can be found at http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/Reports/FCC-State_Link/IAD/pntris99.pdf) On wired (land line) phones, this usually is accomplished by a "soft" dial tone, which sounds normal but will allow only emergency calls. Often, an unused and unpublished phone number will be issued to the line so that it will work properly.

- G

not4un
12-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Yep they will call 911. The problem w/cell phns is if you do call 911 majority of them go to CHP 1st which you could be on hold forever before you get someone then have to be transferred. The 2nd problem is if you are unable to say what address or where you are at then your SOL unless it is what they call phase 2 wireless and it will give gps cordinates but can't get down to exact address.