PDA

View Full Version : DOJ Laws and Out of State AW Sales

eosmo
12-22-2009, 3:45 PM
To all the non-AW permit 01 FFL's in CA, are we banned from selling AW's in the other 49 states?

Unless my out of state vendor will drop ship an AW directly to my customer's FFL in another state, it would need to be shipped to me and go on my book just to be shipped right back out, but NOT SO FAST! CA DOJ says 'no way you bringing that into CA - even if it's being sold out of state'.

Do you..
A) Go through the red tape of getting an AW (Dangerous Weapons) Permit
B) Open a second location in NV/AZ (Hi cost, low benefit)
C) Broker the deal to an out of state FFL
D) Lose Customers
E) ?????

It seems like when the law was written, there should have been some slack for CA dealers conducting interstate commerce that need to A/D an out of state sale.

Thoughts?

ke6guj
12-22-2009, 4:16 PM
It seems like when the law was written, there should have been some slack for CA dealers conducting interstate commerce that need to A/D an out of state sale.

Thoughts?

Why would CA want you to profit from the sale of AWs? Why would they allow you to sell something out of state when you can't sell them in the state? And to import it just so that you can export it to a buyer?

And you would think that CA would want AWs to leave the state. In fact, IIRC, the cost of the AW permit is based on the number of RAWs that you transfer out of your books, so it cost the permittee $$ for each RAW tht you export. So, CA is charging the permittee to decrease the number of AWs in the state.

And for unregistered AWs, it is actually "safer" for a person to just keep the AW instead of trying to get it removed from the the state, or even to dispose of it to LE. Possession of an unregistered AW is a misdemeanor or infraction, but transport is a felony.misread the question.

eosmo
12-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Ahh yes.. silly me. How could I ever think that in California it wouldn't be about money???

I guess if it makes financial sense, brokering those out of state deals to another FFL or getting a second FFL in NV or AZ would be less red tape and cheaper than paying $1500 per year (just as a start in costs) to the DOJ just to do up to 25 deals.

tenpercentfirearms
12-29-2009, 7:06 AM
Basically it isn't worth it to get a permit to sell out of state. The online market is extremely competitive and under cutters are everywhere so the odds of you making enough money on AR15s from out of state sales are slim.
Especially now that a glut is on.