View Full Version : Getting shotguns from out of state from deceased owners?

12-22-2009, 1:16 PM
Hi I know this has been answered, but I'm having a hard time searching the answer...

A mutual friend passed away of old age last month in Nevada. Their family is bringing over 2 shotguns for me to have (technically, selling them to me as I'm insisting on paying). I do not know how old they are if it matters. Anyhow, a local shop told me to just say "they were gifts from my dad". Anyone have a link or know offhand what paperwork I'm need to fill out? I have a feeling the guy at the gun counter didn't really know. Thanks for any info!

edit - I put this in the legal section due to my question being based on what legal paperwork I'd need to fill out. Just thought I'd add :)

12-23-2009, 9:59 AM
I'm not an attorney and I don't play one on TV... But for the California DOJ, I believe that you would go here:


and use the "Firearm Ownership Record":


The better answer is to go to a California FFL and have them handle the transfer....

12-23-2009, 10:04 AM
If the transfer was a bequest with ownership passing directly to you from the deceased then there is no need for an FFL.

If however you are being transferred firearms from a person who resides in another state the transfer must be facilitated through an FFL.