PDA

View Full Version : AW registration question

Ding126
12-22-2009, 8:23 AM
If I have a CA Registered AW and I move with in the state of Ca. Am I required to provide my NEW address. Or is the DOJ letter of registration with my previous address sufficient enough?

DOJ says I need to provide my new address

vantec08
12-22-2009, 9:10 AM
of course you do . .. . registration ALWAYS preceeds confiscation, and they want to know where the AWs are

ke6guj
12-22-2009, 10:08 AM
AFAIK, there is no PC that says you must inform CADOJ of any address change. However, IIRC, the AW registration is linked to your DL, so when you file a change of address with DMV, CADOJ has access to your new address to update their records.

bwiese
12-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Ignore vantec's comments above.

There is no requirement to notify DOJ of move.

I did, however. It may be a good idea, just to keep their database fresh. If you do that, they usu send you a new paper listing your guns. (At least in 2002 it was that way).

mej16489
12-22-2009, 12:06 PM

I did, however. It may be a good idea, just to keep their database fresh. If you do that, they usu send you a new paper listing your guns. (At least in 2002 it was that way).

Eeep, I've moved 3 times since most of my registrations and at least 2 times on some others.

My CDL has always been updated. Would you recommend I notify?

Lancear15
12-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Eeep, I've moved 3 times since most of my registrations and at least 2 times on some others.

My CDL has always been updated. Would you recommend I notify?

If you want a letter from them listing the AWs you have registered along with your new address, then you should.

If you don't care about having this paper, then you don't need to.

I did it not to long ago.

> Step to take to get a Confirmation Notice
> 1. A letter asking for your Confirmation Notice
> 2. Copy of your Driver License
> 3. If you have a change of address please list it.
> 4. You will need to go to a Notary for I.D. (Notarize)
> Our Address:
> Department of Justice
> P.O. Box 981118
> West Sacramento, CA 95798-1118
> Attn: Lana Garcia

might want to call just to confirm these steps are still current.

QuarterBoreGunner
12-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Relax guys, it's almost Christmas and no one wants a lump of coal in their stocking.

OPs question asked and answered, so quit the snarky comments.

cedricxerxes
12-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Ignore vantec's idiotic comments above.

Bill,

How did you notify them? Is there a form or did you just send a plain ol' fashioned letter? I always thought this was some how linked to CA driver license.

cedricxerxes
12-23-2009, 10:59 AM
If you want a letter from them listing the AWs you have registered along with your new address, then you should.

If you don't care about having this paper, then you don't need to.

I did it not to long ago.

> Step to take to get a Confirmation Notice
> 1. A letter asking for your Confirmation Notice
> 2. Copy of your Driver License
> 3. If you have a change of address please list it.
> 4. You will need to go to a Notary for I.D. (Notarize)
> Our Address:
> Department of Justice
> P.O. Box 981118
> West Sacramento, CA 95798-1118
> Attn: Lana Garcia

might want to call just to confirm these steps are still current.
Nevermind. I missed Lancear15's post.

bwiese
12-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Bill,

How did you notify them? Is there a form or did you just send a plain ol' fashioned letter? I always thought this was some how linked to CA driver license.

I sent a registered? certified? letter.

Lanceaar15 has the correct details above.

AW reg is not really tied to DL or ID. AW registration still 'sticks' even if you move out of state, or surrender your DL and and don't get a CA ID card.

At least in theory... I'd encourage anyone moving out of CA, or transitioning between CA DL and ID, to get a copy of AW registration.

CCWFacts
12-23-2009, 8:07 PM

I did it, and indeed got a fresh letter from them, I think around 2005. I kept the old letter, too. It's good to get confirmation from them and keep their records updated. Also, if there's some problem with the registration (somehow it got lost from computer or something) it's better to know sooner than later to get it resolved.

I think I'll send them a letter every five years for as long as that law is on the books, just to make sure that I always have a "fresh" letter, their records are correct, etc. It only costs me a stamp.

Btw, when I sent in the letter, it was just a plain old letter. "Here's a copy of my old letter. My new address is..." and that's it. I didn't bother to send it certified or anything.

cedricxerxes
12-28-2009, 12:05 PM
In theory, an Automated Firearms System Record Request SHOULD also show RAW's, in addition to handguns, right?