PDA

View Full Version : AR15 pre/post ban question

squatting_caveboy
12-22-2009, 1:47 AM
I'm about to build my first AR and need some basic/newbie questions answered by the Calguns experts:

Upper is a Stag 4H 20" with A2 flash hider (not sure if it's threaded or welded) and bayo lug

Lower is a Spikes w/ bullet button, pistol grip

Is this configuration legal in CA? Or does this set-up have what's considered three "evil" features? How about Federal standards?

Help!

ke6guj
12-22-2009, 1:53 AM
follow the flowchart, http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf . YOu'll see that the number of "evil features" does not apply if you have a bullet button.

The only federal standards you have to deal with are, no full-auto, 26" OAL, and 16" barrel.

Cokebottle
12-22-2009, 1:57 AM
I'm about to build my first AR and need some basic/newbie questions answered by the Calguns experts:

Upper is a Stag 4H 20" with A2 flash hider (not sure if it's threaded or welded) and bayo lug

Lower is a Spikes w/ bullet button, pistol grip

Is this configuration legal in CA? Or does this set-up have what's considered three "evil" features? How about Federal standards?
Federal AW ban is dead and buried.
Dianne keeps trying to bring it back and it has been blocked every time. They don't appear to want to touch it.

WRT California, the lower is off-list, so it is G2G, and the bullet button renders it a "fixed magazine" configuration so the flash hider, though it is an "evil feature", is irrelevant.

Bayo lug is not on the AB23 list of "evil features".
California "Evil features" are:
Pistol grip
Thumbhole stock
Flash hider
Vertical forward grip
Folding/collapsible stock
Grenade launcher

With the bullet button, you can have any or all of these features except for the grenade launcher, and the folding/collapsible stock must not allow the gun to be fired if the OAL is less than 30". A typical A3 telescoping stock is fine, a folder would generally not be, though with the 20" barrel you may be okay depending on the dimensions of base of the folder... just don't ever put a carbine upper on that lower without changing the buttstock.