PDA

View Full Version : Can he own it legally?

gemini1
12-21-2009, 8:10 PM
Is there any legal route to take on this?

A friend gave his gun to another friend, no ppt was done. Original owner has left the country and is no longer coming back. Can the guy in possession of the gun do anything like filling up any DOJ form to claim ownership?

The other scenario is;

A friends brother died and left behind a pistol. Can he likewise claim ownership of said pistol?

NiteQwill
12-22-2009, 1:13 AM
By "he," do you mean "you?"

Cokebottle
12-22-2009, 1:17 AM
A friend gave his gun to another friend, no ppt was done. Original owner has left the country and is no longer coming back. Can the guy in possession of the gun do anything like filling up any DOJ form to claim ownership?
Did this take place before 1991 or is the gun still registered to the original owner?
A friends brother died and left behind a pistol. Can he likewise claim ownership of said pistol?Brother to brother is a tough call if there's no will or other indication that the brother wished him to have it.
I suppose if the family is in agreement with the transfer then it could be done per bequest, but it would have to be done within 90 days.

Didn't you recently have another question regarding guns being obtained in a questionable manner (found in a vacant apartment)?

xxdabroxx
12-22-2009, 7:50 AM
Is there any legal route to take on this?

The other scenario is;

A friends brother died and left behind a pistol. Can he likewise claim ownership of said pistol?

Is said gun C&R eligible?

Handgun should be transferred shortly after the death per cokebottles response.

Glock22Fan
12-22-2009, 8:36 AM
Basically speaking, if you do a DROS, the DoJ doesn't care too much who had possession of the firearm before the proposed new owner and doesn't care if the firearm was registered to the old owner or not, as long as it hasn't been reported stolen. They are just happy to get it on record now.

Does this mean that one of your friends could come with you to DROS the firearm and pretend to be the old owner? I think that that would work, but it may not be the wisest thing to do.

I guess you need to talk with a friendly FFL and see what you can do in these circumstances.

gemini1
12-22-2009, 4:36 PM
By "he," do you mean "you?"

Nope, not me. We had this older friend in LA who has gone home for good in the PI, before doing so, he gave my other friend his old Llama 9mm pistol.
I already told my friend that it may be tough to have this pistol be registered in his name since it needs to be PPT/DROSed.

Didn't you recently have another question regarding guns being obtained in a questionable manner (found in a vacant apartment)?

Yes, that was my neighbor who's a security guard.

Brother to brother is a tough call if there's no will or other indication that the brother wished him to have it.
I suppose if the family is in agreement with the transfer then it could be done per bequest, but it would have to be done within 90 days.

Yeah I think my friend said the DOJ told him its possible to do so but, I was under the impression that family transfer is only possible between father - son or grandparents to grandchild?