PDA

View Full Version : Transfers with a family member now living out of the country

ventiganrl
12-21-2009, 6:09 AM
Hey guys,
I have an uncle who retired from the Navy and now lives in the PI. He's got a rifle and a pistol he's wanting to hand off and transfer to me, but doesn't know what procedures are needed to make it all legal. Anybody know what to do in situation like this? Is it even possible to do it without him having to fly back to do a PPT? I was reading other threads on transfers between family members in different states, but didn't come across anything about different countries.

halifax
12-21-2009, 6:32 AM
First, CA doesn't regognize an Uncle as a family member for the puposes of firearms transfers.

Second, where are the firearms located, US or PI?

Quiet
12-21-2009, 7:20 AM
If the firearms are located in another country, you will need to get BATFE approval for importation. Otherwise, US Customs will seize & destroy the firearms.

ventiganrl
12-21-2009, 7:53 AM
Ah yes, I did leave that information out. The guns are here in CA, they've been in storage in another relatives house ever since he moved.

hoffmang
12-21-2009, 1:34 PM
Best for him to perform a DROS. His other option would be to transfer the firearms to your mom/dad (his brother/sister) and have them transfer them on to you.

You could use this form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) twice if you can run it through a correct relative line.

-Gene

Glock22Fan
12-21-2009, 2:32 PM
Best for him to perform a DROS. His other option would be to transfer the firearms to your mom/dad (his brother/sister) and have them transfer them on to you.

You could use this form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) twice if you can run it through a correct relative line.

-Gene

Gene, I always thought, and my Machtinger's confirms, that family transfers are only up or down, or spousal. Surely brother/sister is not allowed?

p.c. 12078 (c) 2 [C]

(3) As used in this subdivision, "immediate family member" means
any one of the following relationships:
(A) Parent and child.
(B) Grandparent and grandchild.

putput
12-21-2009, 2:57 PM
Uncle to dad/grandpa to grandchild?

Gene, I always thought, and my Machtinger's confirms, that family transfers are only up or down, or spousal. Surely brother/sister is not allowed?

p.c. 12078 (c) 2 [C]

hoffmang
12-21-2009, 3:11 PM

p.c. 12078 (c) 2 [C]

Good call and correct. That would leave grandmother or grandfather if possible.

-Gene

Glock22Fan
12-21-2009, 4:05 PM
Uncle to dad/grandpa to grandchild?

Theoretically, yes, but when we are talking about a retired uncle being ready to pass on his firearms, it could well be that both his parents (and grandparents!) have already passed. In that case, there's probably no easy inter-family route, but a PPT DROS would always be effective.

ventiganrl
12-23-2009, 2:25 AM
So the best way to do it is to have him fly back to the states so we can do a PPT DROS? Is the method any different if we were dealing with rifles as well? Or would it be the same for both the rifle and the pistol?

johnthomas
12-23-2009, 2:50 AM
I would call a gun dealer, I believe there is a way they can receive them, put them in their inventory and out to you after DROS and their fee. Are there any dealers out there that can weigh in on this one?

halifax
12-23-2009, 7:35 AM
How about the owner writes a letter (tempoary power of attorney) to the person who possesses the firearms instructing them to transfer the guns to his nephew. The possessor and nephew then do a PPT.

Glock22Fan
12-23-2009, 8:33 AM
How about the owner writes a letter (tempoary power of attorney) to the person who possesses the firearms instructing them to transfer the guns to his nephew. The possessor and nephew then do a PPT.

I like this idea, if the FFL will play along. But as I've said in other posts, the DoJ hardly cares about the previous owner, or whether the firearm was registered or whatever. They are just happy to get it in the books going forward.