PDA

View Full Version : C&R at tomorrow's buyback

pullnshoot25
12-20-2009, 10:11 PM
So I gotta know... If I use my C&R tomorrow to acquire a few choice C&R weapons from regrettably ill-informed gun owners, is there anything that I should be aware of regarding 626.9 or some other asinine law?

Just making sure I know before I go...

.22guy
12-20-2009, 10:13 PM
I really don't think there is anything illegal about what you plan to do. That being said I think there is a good chance cops will hassle you and/or take you downtown.

I've always wanted to do this, but have a fully licensed FFL along to receive pistols and less than 50 year old weapons. Best of luck to you!

professorhard
12-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Goodluck man! I doubt that you'll have a problem. Cops might try to hassle you but I doubt they would actually "take you downtown"

hoffmang
12-20-2009, 10:23 PM
How do you complete the transfer in a GFSZ? Otherwise it's legal but high risk of LEO hassle factor.

-Gene

Jeff213
12-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Good for you, I hope you save some nice guns tomorrow.

pullnshoot25
12-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Elsensei should be with me and I will have a video camera.

Will let you all know how it goes. :)

bigcalidave
12-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Be outside the 1000' zone, use a laser rangefinder or something. Make sure you are out of the school zone. Carry signs and make it look official. bring tables, chairs, etc. Have someone film from a car across the street or something. Nobody is gonna walk up to you if there is a camcorder filming their face right there. But please do this! As long as you are positive you are getting C&R guns you should be fine. Best would be if a real FFL was with you and you guys could buy anything there. (aw licensed ffl even better!)

Plinkin
12-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Save the guns!

Fate
12-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Don't even need the 03FFL for long arms over 50 years old. Cash/carry. Good luck!

Sionadi
12-20-2009, 11:13 PM
see if you can use the same parking lot as the buyback program. They cant charge you with 626.9.

jdberger
12-20-2009, 11:16 PM
This outta be good....

nick
12-20-2009, 11:35 PM
See if you can find some business on whose parking lot/property you can do this, with their permission.

bigcalidave
12-20-2009, 11:40 PM
see if you can use the same parking lot as the buyback program. They cant charge you with 626.9.

What makes you think that?

spddrcr
12-20-2009, 11:55 PM
somehow i have a feeling pullnshoot is going to be spending a little time in the pokey tommarow, good luck out there:D

AndrewMendez
12-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Of course the day I come back from SD Nate wants to do this! Best of luck to you!

taloft
12-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Considering that they are supposed to keep the firearm in the trunk of the car until an officer can go and retrieve it, I'd say your odds are slim. Don't forget that you will need to obtain personal information for your bound book. Some of the folks may be a bit reluctant to share it with you. If you do manage to acquire something, please post it here. It would be great if you saved one from the crusher.

kf6tac
12-21-2009, 12:32 AM
Best of luck to you on this one. The outcome could be pretty awesome if all works out well, but definitely a bit of a minefield.

pullnshoot25
12-21-2009, 5:48 AM
Don't even need the 03FFL for long arms over 50 years old. Cash/carry. Good luck!

Oh I know that, I just want to use it so I can show people "Hey, I am authorized!"

GrizzlyGuy
12-21-2009, 5:56 AM
Don't forget that the federal GFSZ law (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones#Law) requires long guns to either be in a locked container or locking gun rack. As a federally licensed firearms dealer, I imagine you'll want to comply during egress.

If you pick up any nice looking M1 carbines or Garands that you don't want to keep, please ping me, my wife and I may be interested. :D

bodger
12-21-2009, 7:19 AM
I'll pay you top dollar for a nice lever action rifle.

Good luck. Be careful.

Spyder
12-21-2009, 7:21 AM
Hell yes...whatever you pick up, you should auction off on here to get your money back AND get some money into CGF! I'd buy something from ya!

JDoe
12-21-2009, 9:09 AM
Elsensei should be with me and I will have a video camera.

Will let you all know how it goes. :)

Be careful Nate, be sure and get some pictures and if the press shows up be a good representative for us all! :thumbsup:

Hell yes...whatever you pick up, you should auction off on here to get your money back AND get some money into CGF! I'd buy something from ya!

If this works out maybe Calguns could have their own gun buy backs (or just compete with ones like this one) and then re-sell the guns back into the Calguns community... :cool:

AEC1
12-21-2009, 9:16 AM
This is awsome. I so want to sell you something just for the of it!!

Steyr_223
12-21-2009, 9:22 AM
Good luck. Be careful.

Tag for updates....

SJgunguy24
12-21-2009, 9:30 AM

True but if the cops come asking questions and making demands, throwing down an FFL and having your bound book should shut them up. Have your lawyers on speed dial and Nates bro taking video and audio is a good idea also.

1BigPea
12-21-2009, 9:31 AM
Hehe...Interesting.

Tag.

Dirtbiker
12-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Be careful, I feel you are treading on dangerous ground.

I'd love to see this work I just can't see how the police involved will allow it to happen.

lorax3
12-21-2009, 10:22 AM

I'd love to see this work I just can't see how the police involved will allow it to happen.

I posted some pictures in the other thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=251597&page=6).

SJgunguy24
12-21-2009, 10:23 AM

Then they should take it up with the ATF, all PNS25 is doing is what he is federally licensed to do.
The funny part is a cop goes out of state and buys a C&R gun to bring home and becomes a felon, PNS25 does it he's 100% legit.

pullnshoot25
12-21-2009, 2:14 PM
I ended up saving a gun :) (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3528559&postcount=78)

iRIGHTi
12-21-2009, 2:58 PM
sweeeeeeeet! :D

jdberger
12-21-2009, 3:15 PM
I'll pay you top dollar for a nice lever action rifle.

Good luck. Be careful.

Note that the 03 FFL isn't a license to deal, only to enhance your personal collection.

Buying C&R guns at a buyback and then transferring them to your friends might be seen as stretching that definition...

pullnshoot25
12-21-2009, 3:19 PM
Note that the 03 FFL isn't a license to deal, only to enhance your personal collection.

Buying C&R guns at a buyback and then transferring them to your friends might be seen as stretching that definition...

No leverguns at this buyback. However, my brother did go up and talk to the cops afterward and they said that some of the guns belonged in a museum :(

There are more ways than one to skin a cat...

383green
12-21-2009, 3:23 PM

Good point. However, buying C&R guns at a buyback and then trading them for different C&R guns with your friends would be entirely within the letter and spirit of the C&R license laws, I'd think. So if you pick up an old lever-action that you know a friend of yours would like, and that friend happens to have an old Mauser bolt-action that you've been eyeing... pure win!

CitaDeL
12-21-2009, 3:23 PM
Pullnshoot-

Nice save.

This gives us an additional reason why pro-gunners should show up for these things. You never know what might be brought to one of these buy backs. While you netted a 50y/o pump action shotgun, other workable firearms would no doubt be available. But the possibility of WWII trophies or firearms of historical significance should not be overlooked. All it takes is one Colt Navy Revolver or a German Luger to make it more than worthwhile.

383green
12-21-2009, 3:26 PM
But the possibility of WWII trophies or firearms of historical significance should not be overlooked. All it takes is one Colt Navy Revolver or a German Luger to make it more than worthwhile.

I call dibs on the gas-trap Garand! :D

pullnshoot25
12-21-2009, 3:32 PM
I call dibs on the gas-trap Garand! :D

If I saw a Garand go in, I would have freaked out.

383green
12-21-2009, 3:33 PM
In addition to trying to rescue valuable firearms before they make it to these gun buy-backs, could we also perhaps approach various police departments to consider selling or auctioning off the guns they collect, providing revenue for them to use in these cash-starved times? Or perhaps, arrange our own gun buy-backs with participation of law enforcement and an FFL holder in which the police snag anything clearly illegal or reported as stolen, but the remainder of the firearms transfer into the dealer's inventory? Perhaps some or all of the proceeds could go to charitable organizations?

Outspoken hoplophobes will continue holding these gun buy-backs whether we like it or not. So, even though the buy-backs leave a bad taste in my mouth on general principle, it'd be nice to at least come up with ways to keep the more rare, valuable and historically significant pieces out of the furnace.

pullnshoot25
12-21-2009, 3:34 PM
In addition to trying to rescue valuable firearms before they make it to these gun buy-backs, could we also perhaps approach various police departments to consider selling or auctioning off the guns they collect, providing revenue for them to use in these cash-starved times? Or perhaps, arrange our own gun buy-bacs with participation of law enforcement and an FFL holder in which the police snag anything clearly illegal or reported as stolen, but the remainder of the firearms transfer into the dealer's inventory? Perhaps some or all of the proceeds could go to charitable organizations?

Outspoken hoplophobes will continue holding these gun buy-backs whether we like it or not. So, even though the buy-backs leave a bad taste in my mouth on general principle, it'd be nice to at least come up with ways to keep the more rare, valuable and historically significant pieces out of the furnace.

They won't sell them. Even the guys collecting them apparently can't even take them home. It is off to the melting pot for these guns.

I am scheming up a few things as we speak...

383green
12-21-2009, 3:37 PM
I am scheming up a few things as we speak...

If it involves the Calguns C&R Church, sign me up! I even have a commercial driver's license for driving the Holy Armored Car. :43:

Carlosa
12-21-2009, 3:41 PM
I ended up saving a gun :) (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3528559&postcount=78)
dood!!!
nice!!

VW*Mike
12-21-2009, 4:09 PM
awesome find. Thats a nice gun.

GuyW
12-21-2009, 4:31 PM
could we also perhaps approach various police departments to consider selling or auctioning off the guns they collect, providing revenue for them to use in these cash-starved times?

If Jay La Suer is elected San Diego Sheriff, I think we would definitely have the opportunity to discuss scenarios like this one....

ENTHUSIAST
12-22-2009, 9:00 PM

Sweet nice save!!!

JDoe
12-22-2009, 9:48 PM

:cool: What make and model is that shotgun?

pullnshoot25
12-22-2009, 10:07 PM
:cool: What make and model is that shotgun?

A 1959 Winchester Model 12 :)

383green
12-22-2009, 10:11 PM
A 1959 Winchester Model 12 :)

It looks like a takedown model. One of the guns on my wish list is a Winchester model 97 trench or riot gun with the takedown feature. Those cost large bucks, though (particularly if they're govt. surplus models), as far as I know.

dirtnap
12-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Well done!

jdberger
12-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Green - I don't know for sure, but I was lead to believe that the '97 and '12Trench Guns were all solid frame models.

Of course - I could be totally wrong on this....

383green
12-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Green - I don't know for sure, but I was lead to believe that the '97 and '12Trench Guns were all solid frame models.

Of course - I could be totally wrong on this....

I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall learning about the takedown feature from one of my TMs for the US military shotguns. It's in a box somewhere, so I don't have it handy to consult right now.

I've seen inexpensive Chinese or Russian (I forget which) model 97 trench gun knock-offs at Turners in years past, from the same folks who make reproduction coach guns for SASS folks. I was sorely tempted to pick one up, but I decided not to because the ones I saw didn't have the takedown feature that I like.

I got to put my grubby fingers on a genuine Model 97 trench gun with US "flaming bomb" markings at one of the old Great Western shows, many a year ago. Seller was asking $3,500 for it, and I counted myself lucky that he'd even let me touch it! :)

pullnshoot25
12-22-2009, 11:01 PM
It is a takedown model, as many Model 12s are.

I am not too up on the particulars of the trench models.

I need to find a more beat-up Model 12 or Ithaca 37 and cut it down for (legal) "trench duty," that would be sick. Maybe another buyback? ;)

Tomorrow night= potential trap night. Depends on how I am feeling, as I am a little sick at the moment.

Legasat
12-23-2009, 8:10 AM
Great Job Nate & friends!!!

You make us proud!