PDA

View Full Version : Crossing state lines legally?

X-caliber
12-20-2009, 9:33 PM
Hello, trying to find some quick info on the laws pertaining to traveling from state to state with my handgun. I live in California and am heading out to Arizona for Christmas (by car) with my old lady to visit some of her family. Was planning on taking my Kimber with me to go shooting with one of her uncles while I was out there. However when I was talking to someone today, they asked me if it was legal to cross state lines with a handgun, and if there were any special rules I needed to abide by....I wasn't really sure and then they proceeded to tell me some story, about someone they know, and how that persons gun was confiscated when they tried to take it across state lines.

Anybody shed any light on this issue so that I can ensure my gun will make it out to AZ and back still in my possession?

hoffmang
12-20-2009, 9:36 PM
You can travel most anywhere (where possession of the firearm is legal on the other end) if the firearm is unloaded and in a locked container. Once across the CA/AZ border you can even open carry loaded. If you had a UT out of state CCW permit you could concealed loaded carry it in Arizona.

Have a nice trip and don't worry.

-Gene

GrizzlyGuy
12-21-2009, 6:07 AM
FYI, here is a link to the federal law (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/926A.html) that provides for what Gene is saying, and here is NRA-ILA's information page on interstate transportation of firearms (http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59).

X-caliber
12-21-2009, 2:13 PM
Thanks for your help fellas, appreciate it!

Vin496
12-21-2009, 2:20 PM
In Arizona you can have a loaded gun in your car as long as it's in a holster. So loaded handgun in gloves box/center console is ok, even if you have no CCW as long as it's in a holster.

Remember as a good rule of thumb, if it's legal in California, it will be legal everywhere else, and often way more than needed in that State. Maybe with the exception of NY,MA and DC.

Decoligny
12-21-2009, 2:50 PM
In Arizona you can have a loaded gun in your car as long as it's in a holster. So loaded handgun in gloves box/center console is ok, even if you have no CCW as long as it's in a holster.

Remember as a good rule of thumb, if it's legal in California, it will be legal everywhere else, and often way more than needed in that State. Maybe with the exception of NY,MA and DC.

Don't forget New Jersey!

Glock22Fan
12-21-2009, 2:56 PM
Don't forget New Jersey!

And if you are lucky enough to have a California CCW, check on which(few) states recognize it.

mdouglas1980
12-21-2009, 3:11 PM
yeah my roomate and I drove out to AZ to his ranch and took I think 3 or 4 rifles and 4 or 5 handguns (his family has about 18,000 acres) Just had them locked up with cable locks and had the rifles in plastic cases that were locked with padlocks; all were locked in the trunk. With about a couple hundred rounds for everything too, I guess it was over-kill for the locks and cable locks, but just wanted to ere on the side of caution.

Glock22Fan
12-21-2009, 3:35 PM
yeah my roomate and I drove out to AZ to his ranch and took I think 3 or 4 rifles and 4 or 5 handguns (his family has about 18,000 acres) Just had them locked up with cable locks and had the rifles in plastic cases that were locked with padlocks; all were locked in the trunk. With about a couple hundred rounds for everything too, I guess it was over-kill for the locks and cable locks, but just wanted to ere on the side of caution.

That's the way I think too. It isn't being paranoid when "they" really are out to get you!

X-caliber
12-21-2009, 7:37 PM
ok..how bout this bit of information...I will be driving a Jeep grand cherokee (SUV) and therefore there is no locking trunk that is separate from the seating compartment of the vehicle. Is this a problem?

Edit...never mind I found the answer with the links from above...thanks again.

1 SIG fan
12-26-2009, 3:48 PM
HA. just did the same thing.

Since ammo's WAY cheaper here (and no print reg like LA) i assume there's no problem bringing a few thousand rounds back with me, right?

bodger
12-26-2009, 4:00 PM
HA. just did the same thing.

Since ammo's WAY cheaper here (and no print reg like LA) i assume there's no problem bringing a few thousand rounds back with me, right?

Nope. Not a thing wrong with that. As long as it's ammo that's legal in CA, you're GTG.

I brought back a load of from a visit to Scottsdale not long ago.

And if by some miracle AB962 goes into effect, I'll be bringing in plenty more.

Fjold
12-26-2009, 4:17 PM
And if you are lucky enough to have a California CCW, check on which(few) states recognize it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/CACCWMap.gif