PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan lower - what problems did you encounter in your build?

Benellishooter
12-03-2005, 9:40 AM
I went ahead and ordered a Cali legal vulcan lower. I did my paperwork and started my 10 day wait. I have to say that the finish and workmanship looked fine as I inspected them in the gunshop. However, I have heard several people mention that even the newer lowers are out of spec. Here are some of the complaints I have heard people discover as they build up the lower:

1. Detent holes out of spec.
2. Mag release hole too small.
3. Poor fit with upper. Needed to file receiver.

Can anyone who has built one comment on the details of their challenges (or lack thereof) and what they did to overcome it?

Thanks.

C.G.
12-03-2005, 9:46 AM
I went ahead and ordered a Cali legal vulcan lower. I did my paperwork and started my 10 day wait. I have to say that the finish and workmanship looked fine as I inspected them in the gunshop. However, I have heard several people mention that even the newer lowers are out of spec. Here are some of the complaints I have heard people discover as they build up the lower:

Can anyone who has built one comment on the details of their challenges (or lack thereof) and what they did to overcome it?

Thanks.

The one I have also had a fairly crappy uneven finish, that needed some work, but looks fine now. I am told the new ones have a lot better finish.

TonyM
12-03-2005, 10:04 AM
The two that I got were completely in spec. I had no problems with assembly using Bushmaster's LPKs. I've had 5 different uppers (4 brands) on my lowers w/o any problem.

My only issue was the finish. It was blotchy and non-uniform. A bottle of Norrell's Moly coat, some sandpaper, soap and water, cheapy Airbrush, and my oven cured that. Now the finish is 99% identical to the finish on my LMT uppers.

ETA:

Oh, in the shop my lowers looked fine on the finish... Because they were very oily right out of the plastic. Once I cleaned them up and got them ready for use is when I noticed the uneven finish.

Gunner1
12-03-2005, 12:16 PM
My ***** is the magazine in the Vulcan is garbage. I bought four of these lowers and they all came with what appeared to be the old steel promag 20 round mags modified to take only ten rounds. The two halves of the mag did not even line up correctly. They may have worked, I decided to take them out and replace with Bushmaster 10 rnd mags. One was easy the rest required some patience (Rubber mallet). The finish was blotchy but I used Duracoat (SOCOM Black) to refinish and they look great.

Gunner

6172crew
12-03-2005, 4:15 PM

Thanks.

Yes
Yes
Yes:( All of the above, but works ok now.

Mr331
12-03-2005, 5:51 PM
Mine was the "2nd" generation. That is, the first ones after doj made them (Vulcan) cut the original 20rd looking mags to a shorter length. The finish is fine. All the holes are in spec. My problem was that Vulcan trimmed the anti-tilt legs to better fit in the shorter mag they improvised. The follower would then tilt nose up and the last 2 rounds would never load. That problem was fixed from all the others I have seen. The Bushmaster mag fixed that and have not had a failure since.

glock_this
12-16-2005, 8:13 AM
Mine was the "2nd" generation. That is, the first ones after doj made them (Vulcan) cut the original 20rd looking mags to a shorter length. The finish is fine. All the holes are in spec. My problem was that Vulcan trimmed the anti-tilt legs to better fit in the shorter mag they improvised. The follower would then tilt nose up and the last 2 rounds would never load. That problem was fixed from all the others I have seen. The Bushmaster mag fixed that and have not had a failure since.

so what, are the mags in the latest Vulcans now... Busmasters? I read a rumor to this elsewhere also. are they?