View Full Version : m1a questions

12-02-2005, 9:31 PM
can anyone answer some questions about the M1A?
First off, can I put the Rear sight from the SOCOM on the Scout Squad?
Secondly, other the lenght, and sights, what are the differences between the two models?

12-02-2005, 9:39 PM
I am going to answer the second question first.

The main difference between the scout squad model and the SOCOM are barrel length and muzzle breaks. The scout squad will have a 18 inch barrel (I am pretty sure) and the SOCOM will have a 16 inch barrel. The SOCOM has a proprietary muzzle break that cannot be removed. The scout squad in CA configuration comes with a CA muzzle break that can be replaced with a SEI USCG break.

I am not sure about what type of sights the SOCOM comes equipped with, but there are a lot of different front/rear ghost ring sight options available. XS sight systems and Futon both offer front sights, and XS offers a ghost ring. You can put a ghost ring sight on a scout squad.

I prefer a 22 inch barrel, but any M1A is an excellent long rifle. :)

12-03-2005, 10:55 AM
nice, thanks for the help.

12-03-2005, 11:12 AM
The SOCOM has a proprietary muzzle break that cannot be removed.

Hmm, that statement isn't entirely true :rolleyes:
I have read that the SA Socom brakes are proprietary, but…
My Socom barrel is threaded, the muzzle brake screws off and can be removed. Now, with that said, I dont know if another brake will fit the barrel or not.

12-03-2005, 1:54 PM
Yes that may be true, but the only threaded device I (me personally) know made specifically for the M1A and M14 rifles is the Smith Enterprise Direct Connect Vortex, which is a wish for us here in California.

I was not aware that the SOCOM has a threaded barrel, but if the SA INC break is removed and replaced with some other device, I wonder if performance would be effected.

12-03-2005, 2:07 PM
Here is a link compaing the two:

The M1A barrel may be threaded, but does not have lugs molded into the unit to provide for easier removal like the SMITH Direct Connect Vortex.

The break pictured on the Scout Squad is the Smith Enterprise USGC break. I just sold one of these on the M14 forum (had one two many), and these are considered by many to be the best (break) made.

I own two M1A's and have had one of them for just over six years now, and have found that the castle nut CA muzzle break is a fine device. It is not as short or as cool looking as other breaks, but it does the job well.

12-03-2005, 2:16 PM
Here are some more links about the SOCOM / Scout Squad debate.

12-03-2005, 5:56 PM
I have a Smith brake on my FA M14 and it works about the same as the Springfield brake when referring to barrel rise and recoil.
After looking at Socom brake I can see why they can only be used on a Socom 16. The gas system is designed different. Notice how the lower portion of the brake secures the gas piston.
The Socom brake is indeed proprietary and I don’t think the Smith or any other brake will work on this rifle either. Then again why would you want to take the Socom brake off this gun? It works…